Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi dropping when moving between router and satellite - temporary solution

Daksh
Follower

WiFi dropping when moving between router and satellite - temporary solution

I recently installed my RBK50 system with one satellite and was experiencing Wifi connection drop when my phones Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy A5 and Galaxy S7 moved from near the router to near the satellite.  I updated to the latest 2.1.1.16 firmware but there was no change.  On the phone's Wifi setup screen there was a message " Authentication error".  My regular Orbi SSID is configured with WPA2 security password.   I then enabled my Guest Wifi SSID and set a WPA + WPA2 security password, connected my phones with the Guest account, which has solved the problem.  I consider this a temporary solution as I am sacrificing some speed (max 54Mbps) in order to use the Wifi internet as originally expected.   I also enabled "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network".

I really hope that Netgear fixed this issue soon so that we can reliably use the internet with WPA2 security with the Orbi system.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
wase4711
Luminary

Re: WiFi dropping when moving between router and satellite - temporary solution

dont hold your breath waiting; there are endless posts and threads about connection drops with this system...im returning mine in a few days and getting soemthing else. this is shameful for a company like Netgear to no solve this on going issue..

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7