Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired backhaul setup - device chain

Suli3
Aspirant

Wired backhaul setup - device chain

Hi all,

Yesterday I got finally my Orbi system and installed it immediatly. Now I'm trying to establish an wired backaul and I'm not clear about the exact setup.

My Setup: My house has an integrated LAN system. Every room has one network plug with two ports. These are connected to a 16 Port Switch and after the swich is the modem of the cable provider. Besides the Orbi Router also few other devices (TVs, Playstation) are connected via the network plugs to the same switch

In other words: Cable Modem --> Router --> Orbi Router (connected to the yellow internet port)

I did the firmware upgrade of the router and satelites. This went without any problems. The wirless setup went also perfectly.

As a first tryout, i just connected the satelites to the LAN in one of the other rooms. 

QUESTION 1: do need to plugin now the rooter to a noral port or still to the yellow internet port on the router?

QUESTION 2: does it matter which port on the satelites i use?

QUESTION 3: do i need to set the router to AP mode or does this not matter?

QUESTION 4: do the other devices on the switch (TVs, Playstation) distrub this setup

Loking to the setup this would mean: Cable Modem -> Switch -> Orbi system (1 router + satelites).

QUESTIOn 4: is the network setup ok or do i need: Orbi router --> Satelite 1 --> Satelite 2

Many thanks for the help.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Suli3
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I do not understand what you mean with Mft but this my setup:

Maybe I also explained it a bit wrong. It is not only a Cable modem it is also a router (inkl. Wlan).

(Cable 500Mb/50Mb)

UPC Connect Box CH7465LG-LC (Router ISP) --> TRN TEG-S16D (Swich unmanaged) --> Orbi System (RBR50 Orbi Router + 2 Satelites)

The router of the ISP provider and the switch are in the cellar.

QUESTIOn 1 again: Do i need to connect the RBR50 to the yellow internet port or to one of the other ports?

According to https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Especially the third option i see (switch --> Orbi System (router + satelites) exactly how I did it or do I read this wrong?

Your advice Cable Modem -> Orbi system (1 router) -> Switch -><- Satellites and All other Network devices connected to switch

This would mean i would have the RBR50 Orbi router in the celler, where i do not need it. I want to have it in the flors where it is usefull.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. Non managed switch is preferred. Orbi doesn't like Managed switches. If you have a managed switch try to disable IGMP protocols on the swtich.

Review this for configuration of ethernet connected satellites:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

QUESTION 1: do need to plugin now the rooter to a noral port or still to the yellow internet port on the router? Depends if your modem or other router is in used. Yellow is normal.

QUESTION 2: does it matter which port on the satelites i use? No

QUESTION 3: do i need to set the router to AP mode or does this not matter? If you use a router upstream from the Orbi then use AP mode. If you use the Orbi after the ISP modem, then run it in router mode which would be preferred.

QUESTION 4: do the other devices on the switch (TVs, Playstation) distrub this setup. Should not, no.

Loking to the setup this would mean: Cable Modem -> Switch -> Orbi system (1 router + satelites). NO.

Cable Modem -> Orbi system (1 router) -> Switch -><- Satellites and All other Network devices connected to switch

QUESTIOn 4: is the network setup ok or do i need: Orbi router --> Satelite 1 --> Satelite 2

Message 2 of 8
Suli3
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I do not understand what you mean with Mft but this my setup:

Maybe I also explained it a bit wrong. It is not only a Cable modem it is also a router (inkl. Wlan).

(Cable 500Mb/50Mb)

UPC Connect Box CH7465LG-LC (Router ISP) --> TRN TEG-S16D (Swich unmanaged) --> Orbi System (RBR50 Orbi Router + 2 Satelites)

The router of the ISP provider and the switch are in the cellar.

QUESTIOn 1 again: Do i need to connect the RBR50 to the yellow internet port or to one of the other ports?

According to https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Especially the third option i see (switch --> Orbi System (router + satelites) exactly how I did it or do I read this wrong?

Your advice Cable Modem -> Orbi system (1 router) -> Switch -><- Satellites and All other Network devices connected to switch

This would mean i would have the RBR50 Orbi router in the celler, where i do not need it. I want to have it in the flors where it is usefull.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

The configuration I mentioned is preferred, however if your using a router already, then use the Orbi in AP mode. Yes you can use the Orbi in AP mode behind the switch in your configuration.

You can conenct the Orbi router using the Yellow LAN port to the swithc port. You can use the other LAN ports on the Orbi as well, however be aware you may see the top led on the Orbi turn on PINK. It's ok, just letting you know the LED behavior depends on use of the Yellow WAN port.

Mfr = Manufacturer

Message 4 of 8
Suli3
Aspirant

Thanks this helped and works.

After a lot of tryouts I did as you adviced.

Solution for me: Cable Modem/Router --> Orbi Router --> Switch (unmanaged) --> All other deviced + 2 Satelites

Only in this confirmation i get the two satelites listed in the configuration as backhaul wired.

All other solutions did NOT work for me:

Cable Modem/Router --> Switch --> All other devices (Router + Satelites) 

Cable Modem/Router --> Switch --> All other devices (Router AP mode + Satelites) 

Unfortutently I cannot activate bridge mode on the Cable Modem/Router. An option to configure DMZ for the Orbi router was on my Calbe Modem/Router also not.

Message 5 of 8
Suli3
Aspirant

I forgot to mention how i connected:

From the LAN Port of the Cable Modem/Router --> to the yellow WAN Port of the ORBI Router --> from the first LAN Port of the ORBI Router to one free LAN Port of the Switch --> the two other satelites and a lot of other devices are then connected to the LAN ports of the switch (16 ports in total)

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your cable modem doesn't have a DMZ?

Glad you got it working. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
Caroline285
Initiate

@Suli3 wrote:

I forgot to mention how i connected:

From the LAN Port of the Cable Modem/Router --> to the yellow bkexperience WAN Port of the ORBI Router --> from the first LAN Port of the ORBI Router to one free LAN Port of the Switch --> the two other satelites and a lot of krogerfeedback other devices are then connected to the LAN ports of the switch (16 ports in total)

Thanks, that really helped.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7