Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

moving my orbi to different location

Pittro
Aspirant

moving my orbi to different location

I want to take my orbi system to work...few questions...1 the modem / router combo at work is a cradelpoint ..do i put my orbi router in AP mode for it to work & 2 do i use my password to connect...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: moving my orbi to different location

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

If I use so mode...when you say turn off all Wi-Fi radios do you mean unplug the modem / router CradlePoint
Message 3 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Sorry meant I want to use AP mode
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just disable and turn OFF the wifi radios ON the modem. The modem portion is still needed to interface with your ISP services.

Message 5 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Ok.. to do that there's a switch in front of the CradlePoint modem must be where the wi-fi symbol is right ?
Message 6 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Also when I'm done and want to bring my orbi wi-fi system back home I should have no problem rehooking it up right?
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact your ISP or the mfr of the modem to find out how to exactly disable the wifi on the modem. There maybe a user manual as well. Maybe a phsycial switch or someting in the modems web page.

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Once I disable the Wi-Fi from the CradlePoint modem and then connect my orbi satellite can I connect the Wi-Fi back on the CradlePoint
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

No, that needs to remain diabled while you have the Orbi as your wireless. The modems wifi will no longer be needed. 

Message 10 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Then I don't want to do that...its the work wifi ...i want to keep that separate wifi like I have home...cant I just connect the orbi router to the CradlePoint modem / router like I do at home but at home it's not a router it's just a modem... so what I'm trying to say is when I bring the orbi to work can't I hook it like I do at home just plug it into the modem and then go from there keeping the orbi wifi separate from the work wi-fi
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try. Having two or more wifi signals in close range can cause wifi problems and is not recommended. You can try keeping the orbi on channel 11 and 36 and the modem an 1 and 149 or higher channels.

Message 12 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

how do you set the orbi for those channels 11 & 36 ?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can try. Having two or more wifi signals in close range can cause wifi problems and is not recommended. You can try keeping the orbi on channel 11 and 36 and the modem an 1 and 149 or higher channels.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi routers web page.

Message 14 of 16
Pittro
Aspirant

Well ...i just plugged orbi router into cradelpoint modem & then connected the Satelitte and it worked great...beautiful streaming all night long...no buffering...Thanks The Orbi is Great !!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation