Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Looking up IP Address" error on RBR10

tiagosilva
Aspirant

"Looking up IP Address" error on RBR10

Hi everyone,

I have a Orbi Dual-band AC1200 Mesh WiFi Router(RBR10) with the main unit in the house basement and the satellite on the main floor. I have pretty good wifi all over the house and I usally have 4 to 5 devices connected each time.

The question is that at least once a day our smartphones and laptops get disconnected fron the wifi and the error message pops up: "Looking up IP adress"; usually the issue is fixed by disconnecting the wifi, erasing the network, logging in again, etc, but it´s a big hassle when you´re having a work meeting and you get cut-off for 20 minutes or more. The problem is not on the network itself because some devices never have this issue, like our Apple TV or our Smart TV.

Could you please let us know a way to fix this annoying problem ?

Thank you.

Tiago Silva

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: "Looking up IP Address" error on RBR10

Can you make a screen shot of the error message? (attach using the "Browse" button in the lower left)

The WiFi connection actually drops (phone changes to cell network, laptop network icon in lower right changes to the "globe" icon)?

Message 2 of 5
tiagosilva
Aspirant

Hi, I don't have an error message picture but my phone usually says "Looking up IP" and can't connect. And yes, in my pc the logo changes to the globe image. For example, my appletv just lost internet now while my phone is operational. If feels like some sort of device blockage done by the router. Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I have a Windows 10 PC that has a definite bug in the DHCP protocol (which provides the PC with an IP address).

If I power up the PC with an ethernet cable connected to my Orbi, everything works normally.

If I close the lid and later open the lid to "wake up" the PC, I get "no network" and the globe.  Reliably, every time.  I have actually captured the ethernet packets between Orbi and PC.  The PC keeps asking, "can I have an IP address?"  Orbi answers, "Yes, here is one."  "Can I have an IP address?"  "Yes, here is one."  FOREVER.  During a normal startup, it is one ask and one answer.  "Great, I'll take it."

This does not happen on WiFi.

Afraid I am not much help.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tired turning off any power management features on the NIC on your PC? 

@CrimpOn wrote:

I have a Windows 10 PC that has a definite bug in the DHCP protocol (which provides the PC with an IP address).

If I power up the PC with an ethernet cable connected to my Orbi, everything works normally.

If I close the lid and later open the lid to "wake up" the PC, I get "no network" and the globe.  Reliably, every time.  I have actually captured the ethernet packets between Orbi and PC.  The PC keeps asking, "can I have an IP address?"  Orbi answers, "Yes, here is one."  "Can I have an IP address?"  "Yes, here is one."  FOREVER.  During a normal startup, it is one ask and one answer.  "Great, I'll take it."

This does not happen on WiFi.

Afraid I am not much help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7