× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Tv2 unreachable by hostname

Chokehold
Aspirant

GS108Tv2 unreachable by hostname

Hello,

I am trying to setup network monitoring in my homelab and discovered that ping, traceroute, snmpwalk and other such fun things, cannot find my GS108Tv2 switch when using the hostname.

Going by its static(ally DHCP assigned) IP address works without a problem for any of these commands.

The latest firmware is activated and checked as of today.

I have a GS108Tv3 purchased a short while after the v2, which responds to pings and traceroutes and everything and as far as I've seen, the relevant settings (to my knowledge) are identical, aside from DNS Host Configuration where the v2 has four entries of time.google.com and the v3 has a single entry of time-b.netgear.com.

The result is the same regardless if I use a Windows client from one point of the network or a linux server a bit further down the topology.

Does the v2 not support responding to services by hostname like the v3 does and is available through its IP address only? Or is there possibly a setting I am missing?

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Tv2 unreachable by hostname

Even in the year 2022, using IP addresses is the de-facto standard for network device administration.

Could be Netgear has started adding mDNS responders along with the SSDP implementation to some of the updated switch implementations, e.g. on the GS108Tv3 for example.

@Chokehold wrote:

I have a GS108Tv3 purchased a short while after the v2, which responds to pings and traceroutes and everything and as far as I've seen, the relevant settings (to my knowledge) are identical, aside from DNS Host Configuration where the v2 has four entries of time.google.com and the v3 has a single entry of time-b.netgear.com.

Wait. Stop mixing up things. All these switches do respond to the basic services mentioned - because all these services are IP based. If you however use some hostname on the client side, it's required that this client is able to resolve the host name to an IPv4 or IPv6 address. If the name can't be resolved, it's not the managed device fault. The preferred way is still using DNS (don't mix up with mDNS - not the same!!!). Good consumer routers automatically deploy a DNS tables based on what the DHCP client does request for a predefined or customizable local domain. Adult network admins continue to maintain a full DNS for their on networks. Said that: You can't depend on the limited reach mDNS resolution.

@Chokehold wrote:

...  and everything and as far as I've seen, the relevant settings (to my knowledge) are identical, aside from DNS Host Configuration where the v2 has four entries of time.google.com and the v3 has a single entry of time-b.netgear.com.

...lots of things missing here! These are hosts (FQDNs) configured on your switches, to be resolved by real DNS, resolving local or global.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements