× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724T v4 Firmware upgrade

FriFra
Aspirant

GS724T v4 Firmware upgrade

I downloaded the latest firmware for my GS724T v4, but i cannot find a way to upgrade. Due to the manual, there should be someting on Maintenance - Upload .. but it does not match the manual here. The maual tells nothing than wrong information about firmware udates. Even the help file which comes with the firmware, points to a page with wrong information.

What is the way to update the firmware?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724T v4 Firmware upgrade

Ah looks like we face the old confusion from the basic mechanics in the physic course at school ... on these earlier Netgear Switch design, it's Download. Think about you sit on the switch.

Sorry for not having realized this user mistake before.

Amazing they have not changed the wording on these later enhanced and updated switches, similar to the XS712T I used as a reference before. History is difficult to change sometimes. 

This UI and Markup is indeed much older than 10 years, as these switches were manufactured for more than a decade, some were even stackable GS724TS, and an early model supporting inter-VLAN-routing GS724TR.    The renewed GS724Tv6 model with optional Insight management was released not so long ago, probably in June of this year without checking the news releases. 

Sorry again for my confusion, should have realized this long before.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

To avoid any kind of confusion - there re about  dozen GS724T in the field for almost 30 years - what exactly is the model type, version and in case hardware release variants printed on the product label.

Which firmware version is currently installed on the GS724T you attempt to update?

In case there is no menu like 

Maintenance > Upload > HTTP File Upload

... allowing the upload of what Netgear designated an "Archive" decades ago, it's neither  GS724Tv4, nor a GS716Tv3, nor a GS748Tv5:

Is the switch discoverable on your LAN (resp. the management VLAN) using the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool available for Windows, MacOS, and some Linux builds?

The System Information page of ll these switches does certainly show lot of useful insights, including the current installed and active firmware version...

Much more complex is it on the old, legacy switch models and versions, We are happy can help once you provide more complete insight.

XS712T System Information pxld.PNG

GS724tv4 Firmare Upload.PNG

Message 2 of 9
FriFra
Aspirant

i cannot read the product label, since the switch is mounted and i wll not unmount for reading a label. The information in the ui should be enough.

FriFra_1-1720468286239.png

I downloaded 6.3.1.47 directly from the support page of my registered switch, so i expect to have the right one.

There is no way to upload at: "Maintenance > Upload > HTTP File Upload"

FriFra_0-1720468064511.png

regardless what i select, nothing happens. I don't get, why Netgear is unable to simply provide a matching manual on the product page.

The discovery tool is unable to discover the switch (im in the exact same lan as the switch), but i know the IP and i can access the web interface by its ip.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@FriFra wrote:

There is no way to upload at: "Maintenance > Upload > HTTP File Upload"

FriFra_0-1720468064511.png

regardless what i select, nothing happens. I don't get, why Netgear is unable to simply provide a matching manual on the product page.

The discovery tool is unable to discover the switch (im in the exact same lan as the switch), but i know the IP and i can access the web interface by its ip.

This looks to me like an old Web UI bug (compatibility with "modern" browsers) still in place on the old Web UI design which was fixed in the early days of the XS712T(v1) during the Beta testing back in about the year 2016, but never carried forward to the GS724Tv4...

HTTP File Download - Archive with Help . old CSS style.PNG.

It's a basic WebUI design and implementation problem, the documentation is still perfectly valid.

@FriFra wrote:

Another part not properly maintained on this old switch model still offered these days.

Both issues to be pushed push to Netgear Support, nothing an old community crow can do here. I wish I could ....Sorry.

Regards,

-Kurt.

PS. One day Netgear should learn to say "Thank you old friend....". @IphieChen @Iphie_C @YeZ 

Message 4 of 9
FriFra
Aspirant

How can a documentation be valid, when it does not match the product?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@FriFra wrote:

Looks to me like something not compatible with your modern (unspecified) browser - the Web UI should remain operational as documented.

The screenshots I've shown re coming from a long time obsolete switch model, still operational, where I spent a lot of time to challenge Netgear engineering to make the UI workable during the XS712T Beta long before the product release. Appears the CSS was slightly adopted to match the newer UI somehow, most of the screenshots you provided re still on the "old" UI design.

Afraid, I don't have access to a GS724Tv4 so can't and won't buy one on my own expenses.

@IphieChen @Iphie_C @YeZ anybody round here for helping -your- customers?

Message 6 of 9
FriFra
Aspirant

@schumaku  schrieb:
@FriFra wrote:

Looks to me like something not compatible with your modern (unspecified) browser - the Web UI should remain operational as documented.

Im using current chrome. But it makes no difference with Safari, Chrome, Firefox (Mac) or Edge, Chrome, Firefox on Windows 11 ... there are also no JS errors nor hidden elements. The whole page looks very crappy with its iframes... did not see such markup for at leat 10 years. 

I also tryed with Internet Explorer on Windows Server 2022 ... looks exactly the same.
As my last test, i was spinning up an old XP vm and tested in Internet Explorer 8 from 2009 ...
same result:

FriFra_0-1720596350722.png

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Ah looks like we face the old confusion from the basic mechanics in the physic course at school ... on these earlier Netgear Switch design, it's Download. Think about you sit on the switch.

Sorry for not having realized this user mistake before.

Amazing they have not changed the wording on these later enhanced and updated switches, similar to the XS712T I used as a reference before. History is difficult to change sometimes. 

This UI and Markup is indeed much older than 10 years, as these switches were manufactured for more than a decade, some were even stackable GS724TS, and an early model supporting inter-VLAN-routing GS724TR.    The renewed GS724Tv6 model with optional Insight management was released not so long ago, probably in June of this year without checking the news releases. 

Sorry again for my confusion, should have realized this long before.

Message 8 of 9
ReneD
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @FriFra,

I'm glad your issue is resolved since you marked it as accepted solution! 😄

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Have a lovely day,

Rene D 
Netgear Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements