× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Inter-VLAN Routing on New XS728T

viskanmai
Follower

Help with Inter-VLAN Routing on New XS728T

Hi all

I am hoping for some advice
We are replacing our current GS724Tv3 with XS724T

We are downsizing from 3 to 2

I have been tasked with configuring the new two
I am having some difficulty with the inter-Vlan traffic and was hoping for some guidnace or advice.

A small breakdown of our networks
We are a webHosting Company and have many clients.
The Two new Switches will be our main Core Switches

We have basically 3 Egress options for the internet.
We have Unfiltered(direct internet connection) VLAN1
We then feed to a DDOS system and back into the switches as a Filtered Network VLAN2

This i have working fine.

My issue comes with our backup internet line. Currently sitting in vlan1 and being monitored and managed via a proxy system the ISP controls.

I need to feed VLAN2 from this connection if the main line goes down bringing the ddos line down.

How would i setup the inter-vlan routing for this case?

Message 1 of 3

Re: Help with Inter-VLAN Routing on New XS728T

To set up inter-VLAN routing for your scenario, where you want to feed VLAN2 from the backup internet line if the main line goes down, you can follow these general steps:

1. Configure VLANs: Ensure that VLAN1 and VLAN2 are properly configured on the new XS724T switches. Assign the appropriate VLAN IDs and configure the necessary VLAN interfaces.

2. Configure Default Gateway: Set the default gateway for each VLAN. The default gateway will typically be the IP address of the router or firewall that connects to the internet. Make sure to configure the correct default gateway for both VLAN1 and VLAN2.

3. Configure Routing: Configure static routing on the XS724T switches to handle the inter-VLAN traffic. You'll need to specify the next hop or gateway IP address for each VLAN. In your case, for VLAN1, the next hop should be the internet connection or proxy system managed by the ISP. For VLAN2, the next hop should be the backup internet connection.

4. Configure Failover: To handle the failover scenario where the main internet line goes down, you'll need to configure a mechanism that can detect the failure and switch the traffic to the backup internet line. This can be achieved using various techniques, such as routing protocols or policy-based routing.

- Routing Protocols: If the main and backup internet connections are connected to a router that supports routing protocols (e.g., OSPF, BGP), you can configure the routing protocol to dynamically adjust the routing based on the availability of the connections.

- Policy-Based Routing: Another approach is to use policy-based routing (PBR) to control the traffic flow based on specific conditions. You can define a policy that directs traffic from VLAN2 to the backup internet line if the main line is unavailable. This typically involves setting up access control lists (ACLs) and route maps to match the desired conditions.

Note: The specific steps and configuration details may vary depending on the equipment and software versions you are using. It's recommended to consult the documentation or seek assistance from the vendor's support team for detailed configuration guidance specific to the XS724T switches and your network setup.

Overall, with the appropriate VLAN configuration, routing setup, and failover mechanism, you should be able to achieve the desired inter-VLAN routing and failover between the main and backup internet lines on your new XS724T switches.

Regards;

David Johnson.

Message 2 of 3
williamswelsh75
Aspirant

Re: Help with Inter-VLAN Routing on New XS728T

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation