× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to specific and allow a MAC address for a port in the static list

hguo83
Follower

How to specific and allow a MAC address for a port in the static list

I was reading this article on Netgear website : https://kb.netgear.com/21786/What-is-port-security-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-managed-switch 

Inside there is this statement below :

Note: If you want to set a specific MAC address for a port, set the dynamic entries to 0, then allow only packets with a MAC address matching the MAC address in the static list.

I have set Port Security to Enable and configure the "Max Learned Address" to 0 for Port 10 to 20 on my switch under Traffic Control > Port Security > Interface Configuration 

When i plugged in a new device to Port 20, there is no light for Port 20 on the switch and i can't ping the switch too, which is what i want but how do i configure the mac-address allowed for Port 20 in the static list ? i can't seem to find any static mac-address list for configuration in the web-UI, any help will be greatly appreciated 

Model: GS324T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to specific and allow a MAC address for a port in the static list

The KB link is applicable to the Managed Switches as listed only - "This article applies to:" FMI.

@hguo83 wrote:

When i plugged in a new device to Port 20, there is no light for Port 20 on the switch ...

The LED indicating a link - which has absolutely nothing to do with MAC addresses, frames, ACLs, ... - this is a much lower level. The PHY link establishment and retaining is complete independent of the transport of frames. 10BASE-T used regular link pulses, 100BASE-T uses a constant signal, 1000BASE-T and up uses pule bursts. 

No link, no communication.

Unfortunately, the documentation does not make it clear what happens to the link LED if the Violation Shutdown happens.

Check the logs or the Port Status - there should be more information visible.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements