× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS116E-200PES Gigabit-Switch (16-Port)

MikeTro
Follower

Netgear GS116E-200PES Gigabit-Switch (16-Port)

Hi toghether,

at first i´m very sorry about my broken english. i cam e from austria and i don´t use english ver often.

my question is:

make it sense to buy an GS116E-200PES and use it with an Synology DS415+ with Link Aggregation activated ?

my motivation is to get an high data throughput between the NAS and my Smart TV´s streaming 720 to 1080 Movies.

all NetworkDevices are connected with 1 Gbit/s and the NAS is assambled with WD RED Harddisks. 

other devices like game consoles, smartphones, tablets are connected trough wlan and didn´t stream any media content.

the second question is if the switch can make difference between internal and external traffic. that means how does it

serve the content ?

a) NAS -> Switch -> connected media device eg. smart tv -> switch -> NAS

or

b) NAS -> switch -> router -> switch -> media device -> switch -> router -> switch -> NAS 

i´m asking this therefore because if answer is b what sense makes the link aggregation in this case ?

my router (ASUS RT-AC68U AC 1900 Black Diamond Edition) can also be configurated for Link Aggregation,

but i don´t want to do this because this is only possible with an modified firmware and modified sart skripts and

firewall settings and will be unstable.

i hope you can understand my questions and i also hope someone can help me.

with kind regards Mike

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear GS116E-200PES Gigabit-Switch (16-Port)

Hi MikeTro,

You may use the GS116Ev2 (GS116E-200PES) with your Synology DS415+.  However, it would be best that you use a smart switch rather than an unmanaged plus switch like the GS116E.  I recommend you the GS108Tv2 which is a smart switch and it supports LACP or Link Aggregation Control Protocol.  

For more information about GS108Tv2, kindly access these links below:

GS108Tv2 Data Sheet

GS108Tv2 FAQs

http://support.netgear.com/product/GS108Tv2

Let me also share this link I found online and you could use it as your reference guide in setting up link aggregation between the GS108Tv2 and the Synology NAS.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear GS116E-200PES Gigabit-Switch (16-Port)

Hi MikeTro,

You may use the GS116Ev2 (GS116E-200PES) with your Synology DS415+.  However, it would be best that you use a smart switch rather than an unmanaged plus switch like the GS116E.  I recommend you the GS108Tv2 which is a smart switch and it supports LACP or Link Aggregation Control Protocol.  

For more information about GS108Tv2, kindly access these links below:

GS108Tv2 Data Sheet

GS108Tv2 FAQs

http://support.netgear.com/product/GS108Tv2

Let me also share this link I found online and you could use it as your reference guide in setting up link aggregation between the GS108Tv2 and the Synology NAS.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements