× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS748TV5 ProSafe switch and firmware upgrades

eisenmen
Aspirant

Netgear GS748TV5 ProSafe switch and firmware upgrades

Issues with updating firmware. Using Smart Control Center 1.1.3.4 and got from 6.3.1.11 to 6.3.1.33 after several efforts - then it started giving a 'Task Execution Timeout' error when I tried to upgrade any further. Another post said to do this:

"Added a new option under “Security > Management Security > SCC Control” to disable or enable Smart Control Center (SCC). It is set to Disable by default. If you upgrade firmware to V6.3.1.33 from an older version from an older version, clear your temporary internet files or browser cache to see the new settings.
Note: The SCC Utility can still discover the switch even if the SCC option is disabled."

So I did that and not I get a 'File Transfer Timeout' and can no longer log into the switch via the web gui.

So what is the next step?  Very frustrating!

Thanks,

Michael

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear GS748TV5 ProSafe switch and firmware upgrades

@eisenmen wrote:

So I did that and not I get a 'File Transfer Timeout' and can no longer log into the switch via the web gui.

Hello Michael,

A little bit lost on the "I did that".

On “Security > Management Security > SCC Control”, the default is to disable the access (but not the discovery) Smart Control Center (SCC). Technically it's about a legacy L2 protocol named Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol (NSDP), inheriting several risks - that's why it's disabled automatically with the latest firmware updates. Only the discovery feature is retained. This is what the noe you quoted above want to tell us users.

What is the switch IP address shown (on SCC, on the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool ) ? Does this address still fit to your primary LAN IP subnet, for example 192.168.1.x, or is it back on the default 192.168.0.239, eg. because of the switch isn't configured as a DHCP client, or the switch was not connected to the LAN.

Practically, the SCC utility is EoL, no longer supported (except for special purposes), last but not least it became difficult to install, operate, for various reasons - and the tftp required for the firmware update for the utility is often not workable anymore.

Message 2 of 3
eisenmen
Aspirant

Re: Netgear GS748TV5 ProSafe switch and firmware upgrades

Thanks for the reply.

"I did that" - meaning I enabled the SCC Control. Now when I go to the IP address the browser returns a 404 Not Found message.  The switch is discovered using the Smart Control tool and that is the IP I am using (a fixed one, not DCHP).  Basically I am locked out of the switch now - I'm guessing I need to replace it now?

Michael

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements