× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QoS Prioritisation using DSCP/DiffServ with Linux and XS708Ev2

blueSpirit
Follower

QoS Prioritisation using DSCP/DiffServ with Linux and XS708Ev2

Hello,

I'm trying reduce the mean-delay (round-trip-time) of my PTP packets when going over a switch and generated traffic by increasing the DSCP priority - but without success so far.

I have a XS708Ev2 and two types of data

• low priority iperf data with 9k packet size
  • high priority PTP multicast data with about 100 byte packet size

I ve set the QoS of the XS708Ev2 to "802.1p/DSCP-based" (which was the default) - see attached screenshot.

Further more I ve set the DSCP field of the multicast traffic on both - sender and receiver - to CS5:

• sudo iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class cs5

I'm not using 802.1p - so there is no VLAN tag which could overrule the DSCP value.

I verified this by wireshark:

• low priority (CS0) iperf data
    DSCP_CS0_cleanup.png
  • high priority (CS5) multicast PTP data
    DSCP_CS6_cleanup.png

Is there something wrong with my approach - or is there another setting to enable QoS in the Switch?

I ve seen other configuration menus, which have some CoS sub-menus under QOS - but in my case only the port-based or DSCP-based setting is selectable - is this enough to get it working?

web-interface-screenshot.png

Thanks a lot in advance,

Karl

Model: XS708Ev2|ProSafe Plus 10G 8 ports switch
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: QoS Prioritisation using DSCP/DiffServ with Linux and XS708Ev2

@blueSpirit,

I suggest to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly state your objective as well as the steps you have done so far. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements