× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why would the Switch GS110TPP not recognize PoE devices ?

Gaba80
Aspirant

Why would the Switch GS110TPP not recognize PoE devices ?

Using GS110TPP under Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

The Switch is detected by the computer but none of the ports have managed to power up my camera.

I need to say that It worked before under Ubuntu 16.04LTS with no problems (plug and play). So I know is not a problem of wiring or anything.

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Why would the Switch GS110TPP not recognize PoE devices ?

@Gaba80,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below: 

1)  What is the brand/model of your camera/s? 
2)  How many camera/s are directly connected to the GS110TPP? 
3)  What is the current firmware of your GS110TPP?
4)  Do you have other PoE devices other than your camera/s to try on the GS110TPP such as PoE Access Points to further isolate the problem? 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Gaba80
Aspirant

Hi Dan,

To answer your questions...

1) The camera is a HIKRobot Gig camera model: MV-CA050-10GC (x2)

2) I need to have two cameras connected to the switch, but started with one for testing.

3) Firmware 7.0.4.8.

4) No I don't.

Having saying so.... I managed to finally get it working by changing the detection type setting to Legacy and first camera was powered on. When conecting the second camera I tried to do the same with no sucees. Thus, I changed it for the other option 4ptdot3af+Legacy and it worked.  I changed both to this last option and finally managed to get them both working properly.

What I don't understand is why with the Laptop and Ubuntu 16, the switch is able to negotiate automatically and power on the cameras with no changes on the default settings, litteraly plug and play.

Second thing I don't understand, what does Legacy mean? What is the difference with the 4ptdot3af+Legacy? It shouldn't need a different setting when using and actual desktop PC and Ubuntu 18.

Any ideas why?

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Hello Gabi,

The computer OS has no impact on the way the switch does handle the ports with PoE and the Ethernet links at all.

The maker/vendor of these cams is more or less a nightmare, especially on cameras available in the market for a longer time: You simply never know what you get.

When reading these camera specs (see the attached file), we find 

Power: Approx. 3.3W@12VDC, Voltage 5~15VDC, PoE supported

Honestly? Useless information! No word of IEEE, no word of IEEE 802.3af or IEEE 802.3at or 802.3bt. These would be the industry standards for PoE. On what I'd consider "PoE", the PD does request a certain version and power level, using resistors on the network pairs, or by doing LLDP from the PSE (the switch here) and if this matches, the switch will provide power. The voltge range shown as well as the 12V/1A power supply coming with this camera can't have anything related to "PoE" - because this is somewhere in the range of 48..57V, or 50..57V, or 52..57V depending on the PoE standard used.

Lucky you found some non-standard or legacy "PoE" settings which allow to power your cameras.

The only option to understand what exact legacy-PoE config these cameras require would be to query the camera maker.   

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements