× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding newer Powerline adapters to old Powerline adapters...

JustMyUsername
Aspirant

Adding newer Powerline adapters to old Powerline adapters...

Hi there!

I currently have two XAVB5201, which have been in use for years without any issue.

However, since moving, I need a couple more nodes to reach the neather regions of the house, but the XAVB5201 are now discountinued.

Would adding a pair of PLP1000 (which I believe are the newer version) into the existing set-up work, or would I have to invest in 4 new adapters?

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

Model: XAVB5201|Powerline 500 Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

JustMyUsername wrote:

Would adding a pair of PLP1000 (which I believe are the newer version) into the existing set-up work, or would I have to invest in 4 new adapters?

Yes.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

JustMyUsername wrote:

Yes.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Message 2 of 4
JustMyUsername
Aspirant

Cracking thanks - only have broadband connection with max speeds ~25mb; so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 4

One good thing about the newer plugs is that they have LAN ports that do 1000 Mbps. No use for your Internet connection, but a small benefit on the local network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7