× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant connection speed drops on 1200 powerline

Carterlil21
Aspirant

Constant connection speed drops on 1200 powerline

I've purchased myself a 1200 powerline to connect my desktop computer to the Ethernet. This desktop computer is one floor up and maybe 20m north of the router. Not too far between the two powerline units.

I've got the powerline working. I was able to run a speed test on my computer and got 9 ping, 35 up and 16 down which is more than enough, but constantly, the Ethernet speeds drop down to unbearable speeds. So bad that any speed test I try to run will time out.

I've kept an eye on the LEDs built into the powerline units. The bottom LED (strength of connection between powerline devices) will constantly flip back and fourth between solid green and solid red (best connection to worst connection.)

What are the things possibly affecting this connection? Would it have anything to do with my computer or is it something to do with the connection in the walls?

I can't do anything as long as this problem persists. The slow connection drops skype calls, videos, games and 3 minute downloads turn into 40 hour downloads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Constant connection speed drops on 1200 powerline

Hi Carterlil21,

Are devices getting valid IP address when connected to the adapter? If yes, what is the IP address? 

Try bringing the 2nd adapter closer to the 1st adapter and check if the same problem.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

Recommend you post this in the powerline forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/bd-p/home-powerline

Message 2 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carterlil21,

Try connecting the two plugs on same room with the router. Check and observe the speed. If it did not drop, then the issue is with the distance.

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carterlil21,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 4 of 7
Carterlil21
Aspirant

That problem was fixed with a full factory reset, but I am now facing another problem. While using my computer, the internet connection just dropped. Internet still works on other devices. I unplugged the ethernet cable from my computer and plugged it back in, unplugged the powerline box from the wall and plugged it back in, restarted my computer, factory reset both of my powerline boxes, reset my modum and still nothing.

Its not my computer thats the problem. I have plugged my laptop into the ethernet cable as well and it doesnt work.

All the lights on the powerline are lit and solid green, but its just not working.

This product has just been problem affter problem.

Im not pleased.

Message 5 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carterlil21,

Are devices getting valid IP address when connected to the adapter? If yes, what is the IP address? 

Try bringing the 2nd adapter closer to the 1st adapter and check if the same problem.

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Carterlil21,

Any update regarding your issue? Looking forward for your feedback.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7