× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent internet connectivity and FIOS TV issues

mikeyk61
Aspirant

Intermittent internet connectivity and FIOS TV issues

I have a FIOS higher end wifi router. Some of my TV's are near the router and connect via wifi and some are hard wired into fios.I have a computer on 2nd floor connected via powerline 1000 and a recently added HP Printer connected via a separate powerline1000 adapter. all were working fine. Now i have a red dot on adaptor that is directly connected to router which seems odd and I have had terrible drops in connection to internet and tv constantly for last few days. I was wonderingif adding the powerline caused the issue. OR if Verizon router can be cause??Also wondering if I need to turn off wifi on PC while using direct ethernet connection?

when i removed ethernet from back of PC, ALL problems stopped and my PC works great thru wifi connection. thank you

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 11

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity and FIOS TV issues

@mikeyk61 wrote:

I have a computer on 2nd floor connected via powerline 1000 and a recently added HP Printer connected via a separate powerline1000 adapter.

Takes us through the full Powerline layout. Is there a single plug connected to the router?

What happens to the TVs if you disconnect the Powerline devices? That would tell you if the Powerline system has anything to do with it.

@mikeyk61 wrote:

Now i have a red dot on adaptor that is directly connected to router ...

By adapter, do you mean plug? Which LED is this? Pick a plug? LAN?

Message 2 of 11
mikeyk61
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for your time and efforts
So there were 3 Powerline adapters.
One was from router to wall, which had red light on third led, which reads mbs I believe. I find that troubling because it is direct. Adding the third with the printer, is when thing got really bad.
Lastly, when I unplugged them (Powerlines)...tvs, wifi, computers, etc worked fine. I then cancelled fios repair visit not knowing if is my Powerline or their router. Thanks again
Message 3 of 11

@mikeyk61 wrote:
One was from router to wall, which had red light on third led, which reads mbs I believe.

Not really.

Not sure which is the "third" LED. (The one at the bottom?) But the pick-a-plug LED is a rough guide to the quality of the plug-to-plug link over the mains circuit.

That the plug connected to your router was red suggests something else. The remote plugs want to know about the connection. What was the pick-a-plug LED on those? It is when they turn red that you need to investigate the link.

I have never seen anything but a green light on the router plug.

That you have three plugs on the network raises the question about how you added the third plug. Most plugs come in pairs. Out of the box, they will happily talk to one another. Adding a third plug requires a bit more effort.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Message 4 of 11
mikeyk61
Aspirant

Sorry. That makes sense. And thank you! The red light was then probably red because I unplugged Powerline upstairs and it couldn't comminate with it. I do believe adding the 3rd Powerline caused the problems. It was from a separate set. I thought it was plug and play all around. I pressed the button on one connected to router and then the other 2. Is there a different way you recommend?
Message 5 of 11

@mikeyk61 wrote:
Is there a different way you recommend?

Read my previous message.

It links to the information you need.

Message 6 of 11
mikeyk61
Aspirant

I will try that.. The example was for Powerline 500 but I assume that works for 1000.
Last question.... Powerline works on pc, xbox and printer connectivity if connected directly? Thank you
Message 7 of 11

@mikeyk61 wrote:
I will try that.. The example was for Powerline 500 but I assume that works for 1000.

It is a generic process.

You could always read the manual. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

@mikeyk61 wrote:
Powerline works on pc, xbox and printer connectivity if connected directly?

Not sure that I know what that means. Powerline is a substitute for a direct LAN connection – an alternative to running a long Ethernet cable. I am not familiar with Xbox and have no idea which printer you have.

Anything that can work on a LAN Ethernet connection should work with Powerline. If the Xbox and printer can do Ethernet you should be fine. I have used it for network attached storage (NAS), wifi access points

Message 8 of 11
mikeyk61
Aspirant

Ok. I connected Powerline from router to pc... Was working fine. I shut wifi on pc to rule out interference. I then added printer to Powerline and hit button for 2 seconds on both. Printer was found and installed. Working great. Now my pc says no internet... And just came back on... Intermittent.. Do you think I should reset all? I have a third connected to xbox and lost track of the original 2.
Message 9 of 11

@mikeyk61 wrote:
Now my pc says no internet... And just came back on... Intermittent..

I don't understand that bit, among other things. Does this mean that the PC sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't? Is it wired to the network or on wifi?

As I said before, Powerline is effectively just a dumb bit of wire. It does nothing to manage or control. your Inernet access. If this is happening, then the cause is probably somewhere else on the network, either the router or the PC itself.

Where does it say "no internet"? If this is Windows networking try this:

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

If that doesn't work, we'll need more details. Vague messages like "no Internet" could hide many sins.

Message 10 of 11
mikeyk61
Aspirant

Hi- so this PC- HP Envy all in One is connected thru the powerline adaptor on second floor. Router is on first floor and i re-connected by pressing security button for 2 seconds on each and it was working fine, with internet connectivity. I turned wifi off on the PC to avoid conflict.

Then a browser said Not connected to the internet. So i then went into settings/newtork and internet/status and it said you are not connected to the internet and then connected again visible there. So yes it definitly connects and then drops, constantly...every few minutes...

Questions are:

These powerline 1000's are 3 years old. Is it possible they are corrupt?

Is it worth resetting to factory?

Time for new Powerlines?

My home wiring is just not compatible after a few years?

Adding powerlines from different set is confusing signal?(I have four, 2 sets of 2...)

My tv on Fios with wifi connection and this PC connected on Powerline go out at same time. Can it be the router and/or verizon connection?

I hope this was clear. Hopefully you can tell me what your next step would be or if you need any other info?

Thank You

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7