× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Powerline 1000 doesn't work where 2010 TP-Link model did

ajkilpatrick
Aspirant

New Powerline 1000 doesn't work where 2010 TP-Link model did

Hi. In our newly wired (old) house, I tested the old TP-Link powerline adapters (purchased c.2010), and they worked, that is, I was able to get an internet connection to my smart tv and watch Netflix. However, because they were models that did not include the security feature, I purchased a new set of PL1010v.2 Powerline adapters. Unfortunately, they are not working as hoped for.
The first adapter is plugged into the router, and all three LEDs are lit. However, for the second adapter, only the Power and the Pick a Plug LEDs are lit: the Ethernet LED does not light up. I've tried several AC outlets throughout the house without success. The Pick a Plug LED on the second adapter is green when lit.
My questions are:

- Do I need to plug everything in in a particular order? for example, first the plug in the router, then that adapter into the AC outlet, then the second adapter into its AC outlet, and finally the second ethernet cable into the LAN input of my smart tv?

- If I try the reset, do I need to reset both adapters?

- Any other suggestions?

I'm mystified as to why the new ones don't work whereas the older ones did.

Many many thanks in advance for an insights offered.

Regards,

Alison

Model: PL1010|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ajkilpatrick
Aspirant

Re: New Powerline 1000 doesn't work where 2010 TP-Link model did

Thank you, Michael. I also learned that the smart tv has to be turned on, and then the internet LED lights up. All systems go now. cheers, Alison

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@ajkilpatrick wrote:

However, for the second adapter, only the Power and the Pick a Plug LEDs are lit: the Ethernet LED does not light up.

The "remote" Internet LED will not light up until you connect something to the LAN port.

Message 2 of 4
ajkilpatrick
Aspirant

Thank you, Michael. I also learned that the smart tv has to be turned on, and then the internet LED lights up. All systems go now. cheers, Alison

Message 3 of 4

Glad it worked out. The plugs are just trying to be "intelligent".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7