× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection GS205 connected via powerline adapter

Stonnis
Aspirant

No internet connection GS205 connected via powerline adapter

I have just bought a GS205 switch with the intention of moving some anncilliaries out of the living room out of the way upstairs.  My incoming service is downstairs (BT wireless router/hub)  which is connected to a powerline adapter which is output in the room upstairs ( and was deriving my desktop).  I have put the switch in this outlet and connected the moved ancilliaries to it as well as my computer.  Eveything seems to see the network but there is no internet service.  Running Windows diagnostics results in the message "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration".  Tried resetting etc to no avail.  If I connect a LAN cable directly from the modem to the switch the problem gets resolved. As soon as I connect back to the powerline adapter no internet.  Can anyone help please.

Model: GS205|5 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Stonnis
Aspirant

Re: No internet connection GS205 connected via powerline adapter

Hi Michael

Thank you  for your reply.  You are spot on.  I have resolved the problem it was as you were leaning towards an issue with the PLA. Although it appeared to be working fine winky lights and all that once I reset it it then connected to the switch and resolved the internet issue straight away and has worked fine ever since.

That will teach me to complete all the basics before putting pen to paper - Doh!

Thanks again and best regards 

Mark 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

Not sure that I follow what is going on here. (Probably my fault.) But have you confirmed that the Powerline network with the plugs alongside each other?

Can you plug something other than the switch into the "guest" plug?

Then there is this bit:

@Stonnis wrote:

Running Windows diagnostics results in the message "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". 

What gives you that message?

Howe about this?

@Stonnis wrote:

Eveything seems to see the network but there is no internet service. 

What tells you that everything can see the network?

Start simple and build on that.

Message 2 of 4
Stonnis
Aspirant

Hi Michael

Thank you  for your reply.  You are spot on.  I have resolved the problem it was as you were leaning towards an issue with the PLA. Although it appeared to be working fine winky lights and all that once I reset it it then connected to the switch and resolved the internet issue straight away and has worked fine ever since.

That will teach me to complete all the basics before putting pen to paper - Doh!

Thanks again and best regards 

Mark 

Message 3 of 4

Glad it worked.

@Stonnis wrote:

Anyone who claims that they have never done something like that is either lying of fooling themselves.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7