× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nook Color Won't Connect

bojac99
Follower

Nook Color Won't Connect

I just got the Nook Color for Christmas and cannot connect to the WiFi in my home, although all four laptops connect with no issues. I went on the B&N website and found a blog stating the product doesn't support WEP and that the MAC address filtering on my router is preventing me from connecting? I called Netgear and they said they need to open a port on the router but of course they want to charge me. Is there a way I can do this myself?
Message 1 of 11
pommom07
Aspirant

Re: Nook Color Won't Connect

I am having the same problem with my NookColor. My security is set to WPA2 and I have a RangeMax WPN842v3. It is so frustrating since the nook works everywhere but my home. Did you call the store or the customer help line. Also check to make sure you have version 1.0.1 on your nook. If I find a fix I will let you know.:confused:
Message 2 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use B&G mode in the router and see for wpn824 router

Seen these device may work with Mac address (access list) in the router but also can cause other device to fail connect for other wifi device. This one those you loose some to gain some . Some wifi device may not like Mac address either
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 4 of 11
tomcat5454
Aspirant

I am having the same probelm with a Netgear router. I entered my MAC address on the router set up, similar to my laptop and netbook (which work fine). I then entered the WEP address as provided on the Netgear site (same as the laptop and netbook). I receive a message on the Nook that my Netgear router is connected but no internet. Does anyone know if this has to do with the Netgear system being set up as a secure site and the Nook programming restricting access from secure sites? HELP??
PS. The B&N customer service staff are worthless. They recommend that I contact Netgear. B&N has a hardware problem and they need to develop a workaround and allow people who purchased the Nook the chance to download and correct the problem to enjoy the featues of the product or we should all return the Nook's.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I have not touch nook myself so not sure setup on nook setting but try supply public DNs on nook side

Message 6 of 11
ShaneTheGreat
Aspirant

bojac99 wrote:
I just got the Nook Color for Christmas and cannot connect to the WiFi in my home, although all four laptops connect with no issues. I went on the B&N website and found a blog stating the product doesn't support WEP and that the MAC address filtering on my router is preventing me from connecting? I called Netgear and they said they need to open a port on the router but of course they want to charge me. Is there a way I can do this myself?

Nook will works only in unsecured network, and always use 54mbps or b&g mode disable the mac filitering on the router
Message 7 of 11
javacafe
Aspirant

ShaneTheGreat wrote:
Nook will works only in unsecured network, and always use 54mbps or b&g mode disable the mac filitering on the router

In correct! I have used my NOOK (not color) in a secured WiFi connections for several months. When you try to connect to a secured network, it even prompts for a passkey.

Recently, I had to reset my router settings because a few laptops and the NOOK were not connecting. Started happening only a few days ago. After the reset, the laptops are all connecting. The NOOK is also connecting to the router (I can see the Wi-Fi icon animating), but there is still an error message saying "Network Unavailable."
Message 8 of 11
Tom0
Aspirant

Problem solved: connecting Nook Color to Netgear MR814v2 wireless router

I was also having problems connecting my Nook Color to my Netgear MR814v2 wireless router. I tried rebooting the Nook, disabling then re-enabling wifi on the Nook, "forgetting" the network on my Nook -- nothing worked. Then I tried changing all sorts of settings on the router, including adding the Nook's MAC address, disabling WEP encryption, etc. -- nothing worked.

Finally, I decided to upgrade the firmware of the router. I put this option off until last because thought it would be painful, but it was relatively easy. And now the Nook works!

Just go to the site http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/625 and follow all the instructions. I'm now a happy user.
Message 9 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

sharing okay but post on same type of models of router thread
Message 10 of 11
Jonny123
Aspirant

Re: Problem solved: connecting Nook Color to Netgear MR814v2 wireless router

Tom0 wrote:
I was also having problems connecting my Nook Color to my Netgear MR814v2 wireless router. I tried rebooting the Nook, disabling then re-enabling wifi on the Nook, "forgetting" the network on my Nook -- nothing worked. Then I tried changing all sorts of settings on the router, including adding the Nook's MAC address, disabling WEP encryption, etc. -- nothing worked.

Finally, I decided to upgrade the firmware of the router. I put this option off until last because thought it would be painful, but it was relatively easy. And now the Nook works!

Just go to the site http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/625 and follow all the instructions. I'm now a happy user.

I need to second this for the sake of everyone's sanity. Upgrading the router firmware was the key to getting my Mom's Nook to work with her WPN824 v3. All these other "fixes" did absolutely nothing, I'd recommend starting here first – it's probably the root of the problem.

A word of advice: we ran the 'firmware update check' in the router upgrade section and it continued to tell us there was no new firmware. Finally we just went to the support section, grabbed the latest firmware file and forced it upon the router. Bingo. That was it, the Nook connected on the next try.

Don't mess with MAC filtering, or passcode encryption or network speed...force the router to upgrade to firmware 1.0.8_1.0.7 (I think it is).
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7