× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLP2000 Firmware, monitoring, how many PLP2000

migsta
Apprentice

PLP2000 Firmware, monitoring, how many PLP2000

I have a set of the PLP2000.  One in the basment connected to my router and one on the third floor about 70 plus feet away.  The 3 lights stay solid and when I connect my laptop to the one upstairs it works at my full internet or really close on speedtests, so that seems good.  BTW, not crazy internet speeds but all I can get in my area is 120/10 but seems fast enough for me.

Questions:

How do I check/upgrade the firmware on these units - what utility?

Should I get another set and put a couple or one more on the main floor - will this help?

When I bring up Windows Genie, and click on the Powerline piece (I don't have anything else Netgear) I see the two Powerline adapters but the line in the middle is dotted with a lock that shows it's unlocked between them.  Does this mean that the encryption is not on and should the line not be solid?  When I click on the lock, I get another screen with a password set on the master unit and no password set on the slave unit.  I did go through the encryption process with the button on the units and it worked based on the middle light lighting up on both as it was setting the encryption.  I assume all is okay but the diagram seems to show that it's not locked/secure.

If these lose power, do I need to turn encryption on again?

I have my 5300 Asus ROG routers connected with these units and they all read okay as far as my Aimesh showing a wired connection to my Aimesh node all the way upstairs.

Message 1 of 47

Re: PLP2000 Firmware, monitoring, how many PLP2000

There is a manual for the PLP2000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLP2000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

@migsta wrote:

How do I check/upgrade the firmware on these units - what utility?

How to update firmware on your NETGEAR product | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@migsta wrote:

Should I get another set and put a couple or one more on the main floor - will this help?

Help to do what? This will do nothing to improve the speed between plugs that are further apart.

@migsta wrote:

If these lose power, do I need to turn encryption on again?

No. Plugs remember there status, even when you move them around.

Message 2 of 47
migsta
Apprentice

Thanks, but the answers provided are vague to the firmware update question and there's no comment on the diagram that I'm seeing in Genie.

Can you upgrade the firmware on these units?  I'm asking because I don' see any place where firmware files are available and for this model specifically.  And, if firmware can be checked/updated what utility is used for this?

On the diagram side, I'm seeing a picture in Genie (when I select the Powerline adapters section) of my two units with a dotted line beteen them and a picture of a lock on this line but the lock is unlocked.  And, just below that, it shows both units with a password for the Master unit but no passwrod in the password field for the slave unit.  Does this mean encryption is not turned on?  I did go through the encryption key sequence and it all worked as described - all 3 lights are on both units.

Finally, I though adding more Powerline adpatpers (especially when the two I have not are so far away and walls in between) would help to provide a better pathway/signal between them?  I'm surprised at how solid the connection is with just the two units though as one is in the basement and the other is on the 2nd floor (after the main floor).  About 70 plus feet away and walls to deal with.  Will adding two more units along the way perhaps hamper the connection?

Message 3 of 47

@migsta wrote:

Thanks, but the answers provided are vague to the firmware update question and there's no comment on the diagram that I'm seeing in Genie.

I thought that the message I linked to was clear.

If you want to get firmware updates, go the support pages for your hardware.

If there is new firmware find it and follow the instructions.

If there are no updates you will not find them.

Is that simpler?

New firmware will show up if it arrives. But what is the fixation with firmware? Do you have problems that you want fixed? New features that you want to introduce? That's what firmware does.

@migsta wrote:

Finally, I though adding more Powerline adpatpers (especially when the two I have not are so far away and walls in between) would help to provide a better pathway/signal between them? 

I thought I had answered that.

NO!

This will do nothing to improve the speed between plugs that are further apart.

Message 4 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

I've got a similar problem.

When I plug the 4th CPL ( Model PLP2000 ) on my infra, I've got a signifant decrease of the bandwith and the speed light becomes  red on all CPLs. I would like to try to find where is the bottleneck on my infra ( and try to manage them with a software utility - security, etc... ). For Information : I've got 6 CPLs PLP2000 on my installation.

I would like to known if exists a software utility like "Netgear Powerline utility" for CPL model PLP2000 ?

If you have some suggestions to help me to identify where is this bottleneck, I would be interested.

Thanks for your answer.

Message 5 of 47

@Chris_2018 wrote:

When I plug the 4th CPL ( Model PLP2000 ) on my infra

What does that mean? What is your "infra"?

Have you added these plugs to a single network, with just one feeding off the router?

Do you see the same behaviour wherever you plug in the fourth plug?

If it is just one plug out of the six that creates this problem, maybe the plug is defective. Have you tried resetting it?

Message 6 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello

Thanks for your answer and your help.

My infra is just a common electrical installation of a house built in year 2006 in France.

- 1 CPL is in my Garage connected to my Freebox version 5 and to the principal electrical panel fo my house - This CPL is always power on - the freebox is configured as a routeur

- Ground floor I've got 3 CPLs

- 2nd floor 1 CPL in a 1st bedroom and another one in a 2nd bedroom

I've tried different tests

I've done a reset of all CPLs

I've done the association of all 5 CPLs to the one in the garage.  

Then when I power on the 2nd CPL = ok

When I power a 3rd one = ok

a 4th one = ok

a 5th one = that depends but often the light of the bandwith becomes red for all CPLs and stays like that

a 6th one = ko light becomes red and stays like that until another CPLs enter in sleeping mode

I've tried with different sequences in the power on of the CPLs and I obtain always the same result.

When the 5th one is power on the bandwith of the network becomes bad and when the 6th one is power on the bandwith is bad and stays like that.

The problem doesn't depend of the position of CPLs but depends of the number of CPLs power on and active at the same time.

Do you have others tests we can try to identify where is the problem and to improve the situation ?

Message 7 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

I've done a new test.

All CPLs ( 6 ones) connected in the same room directly on the electrical plugs of the wall ( no electrical multi plugs ). All these elecrical plugs are connected to the same lign in my electrical principal panel.

When I connect the 5th CPL, then the light of bandwith becomes .... red on all CPLs.

No software utility to identify where is the bottleneck. No new firmware. Nothing to identify if CPLs run correctly.

So, please give me a solution to solve this limitation of your materials.

Message 8 of 47

@Chris_2018 wrote:

So, please give me a solution to solve this limitation of your materials.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Unfortunately, I have yet to see any sign here of a Netgear expert on Powerline stuff. They certainly haven't chimed in on this discussion.

Message 9 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that the situation isn't easy for you.

I had opened a ticket to the support N°40060994 before joigning this community.

The Netgear support answered me that they were in a migration of their database and they can't answer to me by mail and to contact them by phone and then they close the ticket ;- ) )) 

I'm going to phone them as soon as possible and I hope that their labs will find a solution to this issue.

If someone obtains a solution I will be interested.

Thanks again Michael.

Message 10 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

I phoned to the support Netgear this morning.

Thanks to the support level 1 because they understood immediatly that they couldn't do anything about this issue and they listen carefully to what I said. They are very professional. Congratulations.

We did quick manipulations to collect information and immediatly they decided to do an escalation to the labs because they understood the situation.

Electrical intallation is very recent, the issue not due to a defective CPL, Installation and synchronisation of the CPLs compliant to best patrices / recommandations of Netgear and confirmation that when we plug a 5th CPL the bandwith is less than 50 Mb/s ( light of bandwith becomes red on all CPLs of the network ).

A ticket is now open to the labs of Netgear. We wait for their feedback.

Message 11 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

SAME EXACT PROBLEM I am having! As soon as I plug in the 5th adapter, all the Pick A Pug LED indicators go red. I am getting connection, which is fine, but I have NO way of knowing the real bandwidth of the units now.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON ANY UPDATES YOU MAY HEAR OF - THANKS!

Message 12 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

@pvdublo7

You have a free support of 90 days after buying this model of CPL if you register your material on their website.

The best way is to register you material on the site of Netgear and to open a ticket.

You can give the reference to this discussion of this community to indicate them that you are in the same situation.

The support opened a ticket last week to do an escalation to the labs and I'm going to contact again the support next week to know the situation of it.

I hope that if the labs have a lot of same incidents they will do something to resolve this issue.

Message 13 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

Yes - did that right away. I am going to hound these people until I get an answer. I also recommeded to them that they somehow come up with a way that we can monitor these things with a software, where we can also run firmware updates, and check bandwidth status. 

FYI - I had none of these problems when I had the PLP 1200's - I needed to upgrade to improve the ASUS mesh I am running in the house right now.

Thanks for the info - and for working hard on your end to help get this resolved!

Paul

Message 14 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

By the way, NETGEAR PHONE SUPPORT IS A COMPLETE DISASTER. A TOTAL JOKE. Not only can I NOT get an American to speak with me - or a person without an accent - BUT - I have now TWICE BEEN ON HOLD with these clowns for MORE THAN 45 MINUTES EACH.

They do NOT listen to me explaining the issue - and they just read off of some Knowledge Base documentation.

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO TECH SUPPORT WITH NETGEAR? We need DONALD TRUMP to bring Tech Support BACK TO THE UNITED STATES!

This is a TOTAL JOKE with these people. I am sitting here for 50 minutes now waiting after someone told me they would get a Level 2 tech support person. I guess they are this busy because their equipment is garbage?

Message 15 of 47

@pvdublo7 wrote:

Not only can I NOT get an American to speak with me - or a person without an accent

I feel your pain. I get really annoyed when I hear a Yank accent on the end of the line. Why can't every one sound like a true Brit?

Message 16 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

Support Netgear contacted yesterday morning.

No feedback from the labs.

To be continued.

Message 17 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

I finally spoke with someone intelligent, who walked me through a bunch of steps. All to no avail of course. 

I am noticing that the PLP-2000's kick on and off (I can see their connectivity on my router by the mesh routers I have connected to them. That concerns me. I had none of this trouble with the PLP-1200's. It's a great connection one minute, and then it drops.

IT DOES NOT HELP THAT THERE IS NO SOFTWARE TO MONITOR THESE FOOLISH THINGS OR TO CHECK FIRMWARE, ELECTRICAL NOISE, ETC. COME ON, NETGEAR - IT'S FRICKIN 2018 ALREADY. AND YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE CHOOSE ASUS ROUTERS OVER YOURS.

I am very close to returning the whole bunch fo these things.

Message 18 of 47

@pvdublo7 wrote:

IT DOES NOT HELP THAT THERE IS NO SOFTWARE TO MONITOR THESE FOOLISH THINGS OR TO CHECK FIRMWARE, ELECTRICAL NOISE, ETC. COME ON, NETGEAR - IT'S FRICKIN 2018 ALREADY.

This has always puzzled me. The first generation of AV standard powerline devices did have their own utility. It does not support faster plugs. Netgear has been asked about this, but it seems to be impossible to get to the senior people on that product line.

It seems that the only way to get anything that might help is to look at the software from alternative manufacturers. The ZyXEL utility gets mentioned here from time to time. That is particularly useful if you want to disable sleep mode, which some people find kills their networks.

Unfortunately, these things do not seem to offer the all singing all dancing diagnostic features you want. But they might be worth looking at.

Here are a few places to look:

Download Center | TP-Link

Look for Home > Network Expansion > Powerline adapters

Then there is here:

Powerline and Adapters | Zyxel

and then the download library.

The latest ZyXEL utility works here, certainly better than Nethgeatr's alternative, er nothing.

These things probably work because like most of these widgets they are all one maker's take on an underlying technology, and a bunch of chips, made by someone else. Netgear, and others, just design what they hope is a distinctive device and then put these chips inside it with their own firmware tweaks.

Message 19 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

I installted the Zyzel PLA5456_V7.0.6.17.0926 Configuration software - and indeed I was able to see everything with my six Netgear PLP2000 adapters! Works quite nicely indeed. I did shut off the sleep option on all.

What I did find in the meantime is that the 5th and 6th Powerline units were USELESS. I was using the 5th and 6th t0 backhaul my two ASUS AI Mesh router nodes. I found that using the nodes in Wifi mode and not with the PLP adapters increased performance by a factor of 10.

I can't say that I blame the PLP units - the electrical connection in those two places is just not sufficient. 

So I have four of them in place and they are running fine - actually helping. 

THANK YOU for that tip on the ZYZEL software. Now Netgear - any plans to get your act together and come up with your own sotware and apps? Or are you going to just keep reading these posts and ignoring them?

Message 20 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

UPDATE: more data on the problem: see attached.

I have noticed that the bandwidth decreased dramatically on all units when the 5th and/or 6th unit was plugged in - and HENCE the red LED on ALL SIX of the PLP units. I am able to see more detail with the ZyZel detection software. See attached.

The furthest device is transmitting 388mps and receiving 212 mps - and that is with FOUR plugged in. As soon as you plug in a 5th and/or 6th unit, transmission rates drop to 11 / 11mbps on ALL of the units, regardless of their location.

According to the specs, you can have as many as 16 of these devices on a home electrical grid.

There is definitely a problem with the product.

At least now I have figured out that adding the 5th and/or 6th units causes some major bandwidth degradation between the units - and therefore the RED Pick-a-Plug LED.

DEFECTIVE MANUFACTURING!!!! Please send me new units once you have this problem fixed!!!!

Message 21 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

I've received the feedback from the Labs Netgear about the issue and I'm really a so stupid boy, the solution was so easy to find to solve the problem that they don't understand why I don't find it alone.
The problem come from my internet connection that is low so theirs CPLs are .... low too. I hope that you undestand that it's a amazing joke.

Here's the answer from the support. Sorry it's in french ( but we are in the semi-final of the world cup 2018 😜 and England too ). The problem comes from my installation and they suggest me to replace connection ethernet / CPL with Wifi / CPL and to test on an installation with fiber connection ( and not copper as me  ) for the box. Sure Im' going to build a new house and to deploy Fiber all over the world 😉 )))
If I bought this CPLs its because I need to use video in 4K on my private home network.

I'm going to contact them again next week.

"Bonjour Monsieur,

Nous avons reçu la réponse du niveau ingénieurs, vu que les PLP2000 que vous possédez sont très performantes  il peuvent créer des interférences dans le réseau dans la situation où les débit de connexion est très faibles, ce qui est malheureusement votre cas.
Dans cette situation nous vous conseillons de changer les PL2000 contre les CPL moins performants. Vous ne verrez pas de différences au niveau de vitesse parce que toues les CPL disponibles sur le marché peut être utilisé chez vous.

Si vous souhaitez nous pouvons effectuer l'échange de votre produit contre une  PLW1000 (la prise avec wifi) mais personnellement je voudrais vous proposer encore une autre solution. Vous pouvez toujours contacter votre revendeur qui est à l'obligation de vous reprendre les prises qui ne correspondent pas à vos besoins, et prendre les prises moins performantes (plus conseillé dans votre situation) et moins chers en même temps.

Afin d'être sur si le problème ne se produise pas avec la fibre je voudrais vous proposer un test chez quelqu’un qui a cette type de connexion internet. Il s'agit juste de vérifier si les voyant pick and plug changent la couleur en rouge au moment où 4 prises sont connectées en même temps.

Je vous prie de bien vouloir m'informer quelle est votre décision.

Je vous remercie pour votre compréhension et pour votre coopération.

Dans l'attente de votre réponse, je vous souhaite une excellente journée.

Cordialement,

*Veuillez noter que nous sommes en train de migrer toutes les données vers une nouvelle base et il se peut que l'option "répondre" ne fonctionne pas correctement de ce fait vous n'avez pas la possibilité de nous envoyer des messages. Dans ce cas je vous prie de bien vouloir préparer un document .doc, .txt ou .pdf et le joindre dans le menu à gauche en appuyant sur "Joindre des fichiers à une demande d'assistance".
ref:_00D30xsV._500801ClYQj:ref"

Thanks michaelkenward for the information about the software tools to identify the bandwith. Zyxel and TP Link and not Netgear it's so funny 😉

I've tried the following test :

I've disconnected the Internet BOX so ... no copper or fiber connection 😉 )))

All CPLs are connected on the same electrical breaker ( disjoncteur electrique ) on my electrical panel.
That's the 2nd best configuration ( The 1st one is to connect all CPLs on the same electrical multiplugs ... but no interest to buy CPLs for this configuration a network switch is enough .. the best way in this case is to by a network switch from the company named .... Netgear ;- ) )))) ).
To confirm when electrical breaker is down all CPLs are power off in the room.
All CPLs are connected to the eletrical plug on wall ( and not on a multiplug ).
I insist again about the fact that my House was built in year 2006 and not in the nineteenth century 🙂 I've got the electrical ground on my electrical installation to use MIMO 😉 )))

I use the software tool Zyxel PLA Series Configuration and tpPLC from TP-Link to identify the bandwith

When I connect the 5th CPL I've got the same situation as pvdublo7 some CPLs are transmitting or receiving at ... 11 MBPs that's why the LEDs are red on all CPLS and the connection on all CPLs is bad.

When I connect one CPL => everything is fine ... yes I know ... it's a joke once again 😉 but the netgear Labs are better than me about jokes 😉 )))
When I connect 2 CPLs = bandwith is approximatively 1700 MBPs LEDs are green
When I connect 3 CPLs => bandwith is approximatively 1500 MBPs LEDS are green
When I connect 4 CPLs => bandwith is approximatively 1400 MBPs LEDs are green
When I connect 5 CPLs => bandwith is approximatively 1200 MBPs LEDs are red and stay red and some CPLs are reivening or transmitting at 11MBPs. I've done the test with 3 different CPLS to be sure that one CPL is not defuncted.
When I connect 6 CPLs => bandwith is approximatively 1200 MBPs LEDs are red and stay red and some CPLs are reivening or transmitting at 11MBPs

In the specifications they write that we can connect 16 CPLs at the same time without problem and the support confirms this specification.

to be continued ....

Why I don't buy others CPLs from another company and I don't refund from Amazon and Netgear

1 ) because others CPLs 2000MBPs are more expensive
2 ) because I think the problem is exactly the same for TP-Link or for Zyxel

Message 22 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

My problem has nothing to do with my internet connection. It is a 200MB download pipe. 

The problem is with the devices. I had six PLP 1200 devices and they worked fine - just slower. 

Something in the devices is making them crosstalk and lose bandwidth. 

Message 23 of 47
Chris_2018
Aspirant

Hello,

Support Netgear contacted once again this morning.

Answer : "Our engineers have given their answers, the problem comes from your installation and your low internet connection"

I need to insist and my contact does a new escalation to the support level above.

I indicate her the link to this community to indicate that's I'm not alone with this problem.

It seems that their labs don't try to reproduce/simulate the problem. Strange.

Here's the mail I received after this call

"Monsieur,

Suite à votre demande, aujourd’hui nous avons contacté le niveau supérieur.

Vu que dans votre situation l'installation de plus que 4 CPLs n'est pas satisfaisante, nous pouvons vous proposer une configuration alternative qui concerne l'utilisation du répéteur au lieu des CPLs.  

Pourriez-vous me préciser combien des périphériques souhaitez-vous connecter par câble ?
Combien de télés en 4K doivent avoir la connexion simultanément? Est-ce qu'il est possible de connecter vos télés en wifi ?

Comme le produit de remplacement nous pouvons vous proposer un EX7500.

Voici plus d'informations:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7500.aspx

Je voudrais vous informer également que, si le produit ne répond pas à vos besoins, vous pouvez vous rapprocher auprès de votre revendeur pour un remboursement ou une échange.

Dans l'attente de votre réponse, je vous souhaite une excellente journée.

*Sans nouvelles de votre part avant le 13/07/2018, je vous informe que votre dossier sera considéré comme résolu et clôturé par le système.

Cordialement,

Expert Netgear

*Veuillez noter que nous sommes en train de migrer toutes les données vers une nouvelle base et il se peut que l'option "répondre" ne fonctionne pas correctement de ce fait vous n'avez pas la possibilité de nous envoyer des messages. Dans ce cas je vous prie de bien vouloir préparer un document .doc, .txt ou .pdf et le joindre dans le menu à gauche en appuyant sur "Joindre des fichiers à une demande d'assistance".
ref:_00D30xsV._500801ClYQj:ref"

Solutions suggested :

1 ) Replace some CPLs by a Wifi repeater to connect my 2 TVs on the 1st floor.

2 ) To be refunded by the vendor

I'm going to think about these suggestions

Message 24 of 47
pvdublo7
Star

In other words, these things become bricks of CRAP when you go beyond four devices on one house circuit.

WAKE UP, NEATGEAR PEOPLE - YOU HAVE A PROBLEM HERE. STOP GIVING FAKE SOLUTIONS OUT TO PEOPLE. IT IS NOT AN INTERNET OR LOCATION PROBLEM. You remind me of CNN - FAKE NEWS SPECIALISTS.

FIX THE PROBLEM PLEASE, and STOP with the STUPID, BRAINLESS SOLUTIONS. 

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7