× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS101+HP2100TN+Windows 10 set up help please.

amsnick
Aspirant

PS101+HP2100TN+Windows 10 set up help please.

Getting nowhere.  All parts working.  Communications issue.  Have original HP Software and Netgear software downloaded.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Model: PS101v1|Mini Print Server|EOL
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: PS101+HP2100TN+Windows 10 set up help please.

Assuming the hardware and embedded firmware does still work after the years .... and there are workable printer drivers for your HP.

Step one: Forget any utilities - nothing required.

Does the PS101 get an IP address assigned from your router DHCP server? Check the connected device or DHCP table for the MC address printed on the PS101 label and find the IP address.

Test the connectivity by using a web browser accessing the PS101 by http://[IP-address] e.g. http://192.168.1.123

You can add a reservation for the IP address so the PS101 does always get the same IP address on your network.

At this point, you have two options. These print servers came with these specs:

Protocol Support:
- TCP/IP, NetBEUI, DHCP client
Printing Methods:
- PTP (Peer-to-Peer) and SMB over TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocols, Windows LPD printing

Version LPD/LPR:

Use Windows 10 to add an LPD printer on the PS101 LAN IP address - if you can't figure out on Windows 10 google for "windows 10 add lpd printer"

Version SMB over TCP/IP and NetBEUI:

Windows 10 has removed SMB 1.0/CIFS support by default (unless it way always in use on existing configurations) including the NetBEUI discovery and name resolution feture (that's what we need here). Add the Windows Feature "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing" -> "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" (simply search "Features" on Windows 10 and head to something "More Windows features"). All you want to have on your system is the ability to hain the NetBEUI discovery and name resolution - now the printer (resp the PS101) does become visible to Windows 10 and adding should be straight forward.

This is it. 

Note: I've never in my life installed a PS101. 8-)

Message 2 of 3
amsnick
Aspirant

Re: PS101+HP2100TN+Windows 10 set up help please.

Schumaku, Thank You for your time and fast reply.

I circumvented the problem with a printer cable directly between the HP2100TN and Windows 10 computer.  I will hopefully get some more life out of the HP2100TN.  A simple and elegant fix, by accident!

Thanks again!

Nick

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7