× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1000 interfering with existing cable modem

DJjohn12
Aspirant

Powerline 1000 interfering with existing cable modem

I have used Powerline adapters in other peoples homes and they have worked fine.  I hooked it up in my own house and my cable router stops sending out its Wifi signal.  I hooked into ports 3 and 4 of my Optimum router (not the main port) and directly into an outlet for the "transmitter."  The "receiver" I hooked directly into another outlet.  (I know they are not referred to as transmitters and receivers, but in essence, that is what they are doing).  I am trying to get a Sonos player hardwired on the other side of my home instead of wifi and it should be an easy resolution, and though I got it to work for a few minutes, my main wifi keeps going wacky whenever the Powerline adapters are plugged in and connected.  As soon as I unplug them, everything works fine again... what am I missing?   I am about to return them.  

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline 1000 interfering with existing cable modem

@DJjohn12 wrote:

I have used Powerline adapters in other peoples homes and they have worked fine.  I hooked it up in my own house and my cable router stops sending out its Wifi signal.  I hooked into ports 3 and 4 of my Optimum router (not the main port) and directly into an outlet for the "transmitter."  The "receiver" I hooked directly into another outlet.  (I know they are not referred to as transmitters and receivers, but in essence, that is what they are doing).  I am trying to get a Sonos player hardwired on the other side of my home instead of wifi and it should be an easy resolution, and though I got it to work for a few minutes, my main wifi keeps going wacky whenever the Powerline adapters are plugged in and connected.  As soon as I unplug them, everything works fine again... what am I missing?   I am about to return them.  

Not sure what you mean by you hooked into ports 3 & 4 of your router. You should only need to hook up one port to the router side of the powerline device.

Message 2 of 7
DJjohn12
Aspirant

I mean I tried port 3 at one time and port 4 at another time, not simultaneously (I didn't want someone to think I hooked it into the main wireless router port).  The other adapter was at the other side of the house.  Regardless, the anomoly came when the units are plugged into the electrical.  

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You don't put what model router it is. Does it have an integrated powerline device into it? 

If you hook these devices up seperate from the router or at a different location, do they work as they should? 

Message 4 of 7
DJjohn12
Aspirant

I am not at home, but looking online it looks like I have an Arris TM1602 modem and a Optimum Sagemcom 5260CV wireless router which has the four ports that I was referring to earlier.   I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US mesh downstairs which has its own named wireless, and works fine.  As soon as I plug in power to the Netgear powerline adapters both my regularly named and my Ubiquiti named wireless networks disappear from view on my Smart phone and are unable to establish a connection... this happens to all wireless devices (Ipads, Amazon TV, etc.).  

Message 5 of 7
DJjohn12
Aspirant

A friend of mine suggested that the Netgeat Adapter is on the same IP address as my wireless router, which is causing the screw up.  Could this be the case?  If so, how can I change the designated IP address of the Netgear?  

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

do you loose wireless when you connect the ethernet wire or when the powerline is even just plugged in?

Does it happen if only 1 powerline is plugged in? 

Does it change/work if you go modem-->powerline-->powerline-->computer? 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7