× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline PLW1000 slow speed unless rebooted?

cook98765
Aspirant

Powerline PLW1000 slow speed unless rebooted?

Hi guys,

I've had my PLW1000 kit for over a year and has seen a total of 3 houses. The first two houses it worked great with no issues whatsoever. I've just recently moved into a new-build house with new electrics. I believe the house has two rings, with a circuit breaker downstairs. My router is downstairs and the target computer is upstairs. I've set it up so the WiFi plug is upstairs and the standard plug is next to the router downstairs.

My internet wired receives roughly 35mbps with 20ms latency. After trying the powerline, all was great as I was seeing pretty much same results as directly wired - happy days. The next day, the latency had droped to 150ms and the bandwidth was at 2mbps. After looking on mywifiext.net, the Tx/Rx Rate was ~300Mbps which seemed strange. I thought I'd give rebooting the extender a try using mywifiext.net and as soon as it was up and running all was perfectly fine. Same again the next day though. I am now in a cycle of rebooting my Powerlines every morning to achieve full potential, which I find really weird. There are no large appliances running in the house overnight, pretty much every electrical device is off. 

It feels like the kit is going into some sort of sleep mode and not really waking up. As I say, I've had the kit for over a year with no issues like this, only when I've moved into the new house has it started to happen. I've tried to update the firmware using mywifiext.net but it says I'm up to date (V1.0.0.6).

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline PLW1000 slow speed unless rebooted?

@cook98765 wrote:
It feels like the kit is going into some sort of sleep mode and not really waking up. As I say, I've had the kit for over a year with no issues like this, only when I've moved into the new house has it started to happen. I've tried to update the firmware using mywifiext.net but it says I'm up to date (V1.0.0.6).

That's a strong possibility.

You will find various messages about that around here. They may put you on the right track:

Netgear Powerline 1000 - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Re: Power line 1000 connectivity issues - NETGEAR Communities

PL1200 issues - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
cook98765
Aspirant

Many thanks for the response.

The top link you have provided, I followed that yesterday and downloaded Zyxel's utility and turned sleep mode off on both adapters. I don't want to tempt fate but I woke up this morning and the speed is as how it should be. I'll keep you posted but it looks like it's sorted 🙂

Dan

Message 3 of 4

Well done.

@cook98765 wrote:
I'll keep you posted but it looks like it's sorted 🙂

That would be great.

Pity it takes Zyxel to mend Netgear's hardware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7