× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cant get the powerline adapter to work in my out building

Jasek
Aspirant

cant get the powerline adapter to work in my out building

Heres the deal, I have an out building that is approximately 100 feet away from the house.

I set up the inside unit to the router, and set up the other unit in my out building,

It shows that there is a WIFI signal, ( which is a strong signal) but there is no internet connection!

The property is all on the sme main power coming in from the road.

I dont understand why these units are not seeing each other.

So I did this over the weekend,

I took several extension cords, and ran them from my house to the out building, and plugged the unit into the cords, and then set it all up again and, there was a good strong wifi signal and then it was connected to the internet this time!

Can anyone explain to me how, using the extension cords work and the mains dont?

I should also note that i even switched the outlet that is in the out building to the other 110volt leg in the circuit panel, thinking that it was because the outlets were on different legs, that did nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 9
clithes
Prodigy

Re: cant get the powerline adapter to work in my out building

Even though it's the same power supply, do you have a mini consumer unit / isolator in the outbuilding ?  This could be causing the problem

Message 2 of 9
Jasek
Aspirant

I am not sure what you mean by the mini unit?

Message 3 of 9
clithes
Prodigy

Can you isolate the electricity in the outbuilding as it has it's on circuit breakers?

Message 4 of 9
Jasek
Aspirant

OK, I just looked it up, The circuit panel in the out building is just a plain ole circuit breaker panel with a 70 amp main breaker and 20 amp sub breakers.

Message 5 of 9
Jasek
Aspirant

The Main triplex comes in from the road, goes to the entrance on the house, which then goes to an outside breaker panel, this then splits it to the house and the garage, all of which go overhead.

Message 6 of 9
Jasek
Aspirant

Since the power on the property comes from only one incoming source, Shouldnt they all be connected som how? which i thought would allow the powerline netgear units to communicate. so i assume that the circuit breakers are what is causing the isolation then?

Message 7 of 9
clithes
Prodigy

Ok, in your home your circuit breakers are all connected to the main switch, which is why powerline adapters can communicate across different circuits/phases.  As you have another main switch in the outbuilding, with its own circuits/phases I think this is where the problem lies.  By running extension leads you managed to keep all your units connected to circuits/phases of your main home, so this is why it worked.

Not sure there's a solution, certainly not for powerline.  Have you considered a wi-fi booster / repeater?
Message 8 of 9

@clithes wrote:
Ok, in your home your circuit breakers are all connected to the main switch, which is why powerline adapters can communicate across different circuits/phases.  As you have another main switch in the outbuilding, with its own circuits/phases I think this is where the problem lies.

That pretty well sums it up, but it can be more complicated than that.

I also have a separate building with its own fuse box that feeds off the same incoming mains feed. But I can use Powerline plugs that sit on two different fuse boxes. However, the signal is not as good as it is with two plugs on the same box.

In other words, there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules for these things.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7