× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

EricaE
Initiate

powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

I already have this installed and it's working for 2 computers (base computer plus one more). Now I want to add a third computer and I can't for the life of me figure out whether to buy another set of this same model or a different model.

Model: XAVB5602v2|Powerline 500 Nano PassThru 2-Port (XAV5602 + XAV5401)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: powerline 500 compatibility with other powerline 500s

@EricaE wrote:

...I can't for the life of me figure out whether to buy another set of this same model or a different model.

Your call.

AV 500 is an IEEE industry standard. You can mix and match different speeds and brands.

I have done this, but if you want to be able to use them with the same controlling software and "genies", it is easier to stick to the same brand.

One problem is that Netgear, and other makers, like to sell these things in pairs. So it isn't easy to buy a "singleton".

Be warned that a mixture of plugs will default to communicating with one another over the mains at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So, add AV 1000 plugs to AV 500 plugs and you will get AV 500 speeds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@EricaE wrote:

...I can't for the life of me figure out whether to buy another set of this same model or a different model.

Your call.

AV 500 is an IEEE industry standard. You can mix and match different speeds and brands.

I have done this, but if you want to be able to use them with the same controlling software and "genies", it is easier to stick to the same brand.

One problem is that Netgear, and other makers, like to sell these things in pairs. So it isn't easy to buy a "singleton".

Be warned that a mixture of plugs will default to communicating with one another over the mains at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So, add AV 1000 plugs to AV 500 plugs and you will get AV 500 speeds.

Message 2 of 3
EricaE
Initiate

Thank you Michael!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements