Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10200 Not powering up - only sign of life is the Ethernet port LED flashes - is it dead?

montybiggleswor
Aspirant

RN10200 Not powering up - only sign of life is the Ethernet port LED flashes - is it dead?

I noticed today that the LED was off on our RN10200, I tried to power it back on but nothing happes. 

No lights, no fans, no noise, nothing!

I tested the PSU and that's still outputting 12v. 

We use this as an off site backup for our RN104 so it could have been dead for a while.

I don't know what the sofware version was but I believe I had auto update on and generally I access it every 6 months to check it's okay and if it was out of date I would have updated it then.

I tried to power it up with the hard discs removed (2 x 3TB WD Reds FWIW) in case they were causing it to shutdown but no luck there either! 

I have tried the reset button too but no luck. 

The only thing that shows any life is when I plug the Ethernet cable in, the green LED flashes. 

Any ideas of what we can try or is this the end?

I checked and we bought the NAS in November 2015 so it's only just coming up to 5 years old, I'd have expected it to last a lot longer!

Thanks in advance! 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN10200 Not powering up - only sign of life is the Ethernet port LED flashes - is it dead?

Yes, the NIC and power-on circuit draw power even when the NAS is "off".  The +12V is internally dropped down to the necessary voltages, including the standby voltage those items use.  From your list of symptoms and tests run, I think it most likely something in that power circuit is the problem.  Big caps would be a place to start.

Unfortunately, Netgear does not make schematics available, so troubleshooting is an adventure.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN10200 Not powering up - only sign of life is the Ethernet port LED flashes - is it dead?

@montybiggleswor

Have you checked with RAIDar if it's still being detected? Also when you tried booting it without the drives. If it's showing that the NIC LED is lit it might still be detected by RAIDar. Have you seen if the Front LEDs are lit as well? If it is detected without the drives, it is possible that there's an issue with the drive or OS. 

If RAIDar shows it's booting but does not completely boot normally, maybe you can try doing USB Recovery. Otherwise, if all else has been done and still not getting detected by RAIDar. It may be possible that there's an issue on the Hardware.

HTH 

Message 2 of 6
montybiggleswor
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry, I should have said; both of the front LEDs are dead too. 

I just tried the RAIDAR app and it can only find my RN104.

I guess that means the HW is knackered?

I just popped the bonnet, disconnected the fan and ran it from my bench PSU and the fan span up fine drawing 200mA so the fan sounds fine.

I then fed 12V onto the PCB where the power jack goes in and the NAS draws 125mA so there's something still alive in there.

I then removed the main PCB from the RN102, which disconnects it from the Ethernet card at the back - after this the current dropped down to 20mA so I am assuming it's the Ethernet board drawing the current.

I just went in a bit further on the main PCB;

There's a PSU circuit just below the SKhynix Flash IC which is outputting 3.3v - this appears to be the only active PSU on the board.

None of the other large power inductors have any signal on them, whether these should be running I don't know.

I spotted a big electrolytic capacitor at the bottom of the PCB near the connector that goes to the hard drives. This appears to be the output of a the largest switching PSU- based on an RT8105 IC and a 4228GM FET. The RT8105 has an enble pin (pin 7) which is low thus disabling it.

I am assuming something else on the PCB is commanding it to shutdown but without a schematic I can't find what it is.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the NIC and power-on circuit draw power even when the NAS is "off".  The +12V is internally dropped down to the necessary voltages, including the standby voltage those items use.  From your list of symptoms and tests run, I think it most likely something in that power circuit is the problem.  Big caps would be a place to start.

Unfortunately, Netgear does not make schematics available, so troubleshooting is an adventure.  Good luck.

Message 4 of 6
montybiggleswor
Aspirant

I gave up trying to fault find the PCB and bought a second hand RN102 on ebay, it's now arrived!

I assme there's a way of telling the new NAS that my drives are already populated so it won't try to format them the moment I plug them in?

If there's no way to do this then they can be erased as they are a backup for a 4 Bay NAS in the house but that would mean transferring 3TB of data which I'd rather avoid if possible.

Thanks! 🙂

I just established all the config information (incuding password!) is stored on the drives and not the flash on the NAS - which kind of makes sense.

I just booted it with my old WD Red 3TB drives and the NAS interface came up exactly the same as the old one - no messing about required! Super easy!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Your volume from the old NAS does not identify itself with a particular chassis.  So, just put them in the new chassis with the power off and then power on, and all will be fine.  You can even do that between different models.

If the new NAS does not recognize the volume because something also happened to it, it also will not format the drives.  The OS will report them as "used", and you would have to manually re-format them to use them.  That was not the case with the legacy OSes (4.x and 5.x), and some folks did lose data because they didn't RTFM and tried to use the NAS like it was a USB drive chassis, losing their data in the process.  Netgear obviously decided that that lead to irate customers, even though it was their own fault, and made it harder to mess things up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements