× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to upgrade my "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) application" on my ReadyNAS RN21200

devildoggod
Aspirant

How to upgrade my "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) application" on my ReadyNAS RN21200

I just installed the following App that was available on my ReadyNAS:  Plex Medai Server (for RN2xx)

However, there were two to choose from: "Plex Media Server" and "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx)" ?

The RN2xx veersion seemed to be the correct choice ? (e.g. it seems that is is tuned for the NAS device I have vs being generic, correct ?

Now the Plex server settings shows a much newer version that can be downloaded and upgraded to...

However, will the Plex upgrade download work with the version of the app I installed ? (e.g. (For RN2xx) ?

Or, will it overwrite the app I have ? Or will that fail ?

What are the recommended steps to upgrade that app -- does Netgear have an upgraded versdion for "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) ?

Summary: what are the exact steps to upgrade this specific app ?

P.S. I have the Plex server all setup no problem, would hate to break it   😉

Thanks

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to upgrade my "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) application" on my ReadyNAS RN21200

@devildoggod wrote:

I walked through the steps using the upload button, essentially downloading and using the latest "plexmediaserver-

What will happen when I click yes ( will I be starting all over) -- will all the media I have configured so far have to be added again ? Or will it be retained ?

It will remove the old plex, and install the new version.  But the full configuration (including accounts and the media libraries that you've created) are preserved, so you won't need to create them again. 

Functionally it's an update.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@devildoggod wrote:

However, there were two to choose from: "Plex Media Server" and "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx)" ?

The RN2xx version seemed to be the correct choice ? (e.g. it seems that is is tuned for the NAS device I have vs being generic, correct ?

RN2xx is the right version.  It enables some real-time transcoding features that aren't supported on the RN100 series NAS.

@devildoggod wrote:

Now the Plex server settings shows a much newer version that can be downloaded and upgraded to...

However, will the Plex upgrade download work with the version of the app I installed ? (e.g. (For RN2xx) ?

Or, will it overwrite the app I have ? Or will that fail ?

What are the recommended steps to upgrade that app -- does Netgear have an upgraded versdion for "Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) ?

The upgrade should work and preserve settings.  Sometimes the update process will fail (even on a PC).  If that happens, you can simply over-install the app by

1. downloading the full version you want directly from https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/
  2. manually installing it from the "upload" control in the upper right of the admin web ui's app page.

Don't uninstall the current version.

Message 2 of 5
devildoggod
Aspirant

I walked through the steps using the upload button, essentially downloading and using the latest "plexmediaserver-annapurna_1.18.1.1973-0f4abfbcc_armel.deb" file from the Plex Media Admin page in my Firefox browser - but I get to the attached screenshot, and I end up clicking --> "No"

"Yes" seems to imply that the Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) app will be deleted...?

You stated this: "Don't uninstall the current version." -->

Hence what to do ?

What will happen when I click yes ( will I be starting all over) -- will all the media I have configured so far have to be added again ? Or will it be retained ?

And, is using the upload button as per the above, in the ReadyNas admin screen (e.g. Apps, installed apps), considered an upgrade or a "new install"

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@devildoggod wrote:

I walked through the steps using the upload button, essentially downloading and using the latest "plexmediaserver-

It will remove the old plex, and install the new version.  But the full configuration (including accounts and the media libraries that you've created) are preserved, so you won't need to create them again. 

Functionally it's an update.

Message 4 of 5
devildoggod
Aspirant

Thanks for that  --- worked perfectly, and retained the name "Plex Media Server (for RN2xxx)"!

-> It did take about 5 minutes for the app to come back up - but we are updated!!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements