× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restore iSCSI LUN from backup

knowknot
Aspirant

Restore iSCSI LUN from backup

Needed to replace the 2 drives with larger capacity drives. I have a backup created with File Backup. I replaced the drives, restored the configuration, restored the data from the regular shares. How can I restore the data to the iSCSI LUN from the backup?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Restore iSCSI LUN from backup

@knowknot wrote:

I have a backup created with File Backup. I replaced the drives, restored the configuration, restored the data from the regular shares.

Technically, a LUN is (in the ReadyNAS OS 6 context) a single file, a container. Internally, it's holding block storage representing an on-disk structure of a client OS with an iSCSI initiator. With a dismounted LUN, I would expect the file can be included in file based backup and restored on the new storage volume.

With a LUN still mounted and in use, it's not possible to get a clean backup of the LUN in the file context, e.g. locked, not available, whatever.

@knowknot wrote:

How can I restore the data to the iSCSI LUN from the backup?

ReadyNAS OS 6 does - like any other iSCSI system - not have any live access to a LUN volume, like by folders and files.

The only reliable other way to bring the context of a LUN to a new volume is to handle this on the system making use of the LUNs. Create snapshots, or file and folder based backups, and restore to the empty LUN on the new volume.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements