× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB1

LawrenceWVU
Follower

SMB1

We need to disable SMB1 on our network (due to it's vulnerability). We still have a couple of ReadyNAS 4200's in use, and they cannot be accessed if we disable SMB1 on our domain controllers.  I have updated to the latest available firmware (4.2.30), however SMB1 still seems to be required.

Anyone else having this issue?  

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SMB1

You'd need to add

min protocol = SMB2

to the global section of smb.conf

We use samba 3.6 in 4.2.30.

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 4
PeteC2017
Aspirant

Where is this file global section of smb.conf on the ReadyNas 4200 V2 and how do I get to it?  With SMB1 disabled we can not get to the shares on the NAS

Model: ReadyNAS-4200v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@PeteC2017 wrote:

Where is this file global section of smb.conf on the ReadyNas 4200 V2 and how do I get to it?  With SMB1 disabled we can not get to the shares on the NAS

You need to enable ssh accesss in the NAS to get to this file.  You do that by installing "Root Enable SSH Access" from here: https://kb.netgear.com/24551/ReadyNAS-Add-ons-for-RAIDiator-4-2-x86

On an OSX system you can then get shell access to the NAS using terminal.  With Windows, you need a tool like putty.  Either way, the username is "root" and the password is the NAS admin password.

The file path is ./etc/samba/smb.conf 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements