× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

TeeMoney
Guide

Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

This seems to be a common issue from my searching however, I have yet to find a solution. It's been over a week that I have not been able to connect to my 2.4ghz frequency on my router. The only time that devices can connect to my 2.4ghz is when the encryption/security is turned off. The router is six months old and any older/newer device that sees the 2.4ghz frequency will not connect to it. If the device sees the 5ghz frequency it'll connect. Unfortunately, I have some devices that only see the 2.4ghz that will not connect to it. Here is additional information:

Device is WNDR3400v3 with firmware V1.0.1.2_1.0.51

2.4ghz and 5ghz frequency have different SSIDs

Both Frequencies have different passwords.

Both Frequencies use the same encryption WPA2-PSK[AES]

Devices that connect by hardwire directly to the router work fine

Devices using 5ghz work fine

Access Control is turned on; never had any issues with this.

Devices that are connecting the 2.4ghz is not showing up in the log at all

I've rebooted the router several times

I've tried to take it back to the factory default which never worked.

Here is some additional information. If Access Control is turned on I can see the devices Mac address appear in the connected list of devices but an IP is not being assigned and the device is not connecting. If I turn off Access Control the device still does not connect.

Any help would greatly appreciative.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

@TeeMoney Did you try to reset the router? If you have not, kindly do so and let us know if that helped.

in resetting the router, you need to push the reset button for 20 seconds. Once done, reconfigure the router to get the connection back.

By the way, make sure that the power light will be solidly lit before reconfiguring it.

Let us know what happens.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
TeeMoney
Guide

Still having an issue connecting.

Message 2 of 12
B_Regal78
Aspirant

I am far from a router expert, and I am not associted with Netgear in any way other than that I have Netgear equipment in my home, but I'll ask a couple questions anyway:

Did you try setting up a guest network with no security on it?  The router I recently purchased supports two 5g and a single 2.4g connection.  When I have a guest network turned on and I have a device that could connect on either frequency, it appears as if I have 6 wireless connections.

Second question: did you check for devices such as microwaves, older cordless phones, baby monitors, etc that may interfere with only the 2.4g signal?

Last question (and the one I think is most likely): do you know if you have nearby neighbors have a wirless router?  If so, they, may be using the same channel as you, or an overlapping channel.  I believe channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap at all.  I would try each of these first, and then try 3 or 9.  My router (and I believe most, if not all) have an auto channel select mode, but is not to say that it might not be better for you to hard set a channel.

Again, just some thoughts for you to try...

Message 3 of 12
TeeMoney
Guide

Thanks for the question and input.

1. Did you try setting up a guest network with no security on it? No, I didn't want my guest network opened; my guest network is not enabled.

2. did you check for devices such as microwaves, older cordless phones, baby monitors, etc that may interfere with only the 2.4g signal? There are no new devices such as microwaves or older cordless phones and etc. that I've added to the household or swapped out. 

3. do you know if you have nearby neighbors have a wirless router?   Yes, I count at least  16 access points showing including mine.I tried using channels 1,6, and 11 thinking about interference; I can give channel 3 and 9 a try.

I hate the fact that it worked at one point then just stopped. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted. 

Message 4 of 12
TeeMoney
Guide

I tried connecting to my secure Guest 2.4ghz and no luck.

I tried connecting to my unsecure Guest 2.4ghz and no luck

I was able to connect to my unsecure 2.4ghz frequency just fine.

I made my connection secure again and changed the channel to 3 and no luck

I changed my channel to 9 and no luck.

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

many older single band wifi devices only support  WPA-PSK [TKIP]    try    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]                

Message 6 of 12
TeeMoney
Guide

I tried what you suggested with using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. I get a message box saying: that [TKIP] only operates at 54mbps and I should consider using [AES]. Even if I click OK on the message and try to apply my changes it reverts back to WPA2-PSK [AES]. When I select to use WPA2-PSK [TKIP] it tells me that WPS can not work with this feature but it still reverts back to WPA2-PSK [AES]. That's definitely weird.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

change mode to 54  in wifi setup same  location where you change channels

Message 8 of 12
TeeMoney
Guide

So mode was already set to 54; my channel was at 11; I moved that back auto. I didn't get the pop up but it still reverted back to WPA2-PSK [AES] when I clicked APPLY. I'm beginning to think that maybe my firmware is all jacked up.

In order to get the change to take effect I had to turn off SSID broadcasting. However, the device stillis not connecting.

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TeeMoney Did you try to reset the router? If you have not, kindly do so and let us know if that helped.

in resetting the router, you need to push the reset button for 20 seconds. Once done, reconfigure the router to get the connection back.

By the way, make sure that the power light will be solidly lit before reconfiguring it.

Let us know what happens.

Message 10 of 12
TeeMoney
Guide

ElaineM thank you for the reply. Yes, what you suggested worked. I did hit the reset button on the router before but didn't hold it for 20 seconds. I guess 20 seconds is the magic number. Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear it worked! 

You're welcome.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation