× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6080/AC1000 router connection

cvillelife
Aspirant

R6080/AC1000 router connection

a couple of days ago i was updating the router after a power surge in my apartment building.. all went fine and the nighthawk app said it was updated then the router lost connection and has not come back on sense. the power light just flashes green,nothing else. i took the cable and plugged into my laptop but theres no connection either. i called my isp and they confirmed i do have internet but for some reason the router nor my internet connects. im at a loss,any suggestions would helpful,TIA.

Message 1 of 6

Re: R6080/AC1000 router connection

@cvillelife wrote:

a couple of days ago i was updating the router after a power surge in my apartment building.. all went fine and the nighthawk app said it was updated then the router lost connection and has not come back on sense. the power light just flashes green,nothing else.

When you say "updating the router" do you mean the firmware?

"Blinking Green" is a bad sign. As the manual says:

If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware might be corrupted.

If a standard factory reset fails, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
    • Keep pressing reset while removing power
    • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Or try TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Not the easiest thing to do, but TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Different router, same approach

However, it might not be worth trying to fix your router, especially if your Internet service is anywhere near 100 Mbps.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 6
cvillelife
Aspirant

I tried the recovery reset and the power and lan just flashed. I attempted the tftp but no luck, looks like the .img file for the firmware is no good or something.
Message 3 of 6

@cvillelife wrote:
looks like the .img file for the firmware is no good or something.

What tells you that? TFTP is tricky. You have to get it right. You should see a series of prompts and messages. They will explain what is happening and where things go wrong.

TFTP is a command-line operation. The router will send some sort of response if TFTP will sees the wrong  or broken firmware.

Message 4 of 6
cvillelife
Aspirant

After I drag the .img file into the terminal(I’m on a mac) and hit enter the line after that says no such file or directory
Message 5 of 6

@cvillelife wrote:
After I drag the .img file into the terminal(I’m on a mac) and hit enter the line after that says no such file or directory

That's not what you do. Read the instructions for TFTP.

How do I upload firmware to my NETGEAR router using TFTP on Apple macOS? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your Mac sees the .img files a a "disk image". It isn't. It is a data file.

You will get some idea of what you need to do from this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In the case of TFTP, you access the .img file from the command line (see above).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7