× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724 forward mirrored port traffic to another port

daubsi
Aspirant

GS724 forward mirrored port traffic to another port

Dear all,

I have several GS724Tv4 (latest firmware) in use on our office.

I would like to achieve the following:

Mirror port X on switch A and have it forwarded not just to a "probe" port on switch A but eventually turning up on port Y on switch B.

Setting up port mirroring on switch A is pretty straight-forward and works. But how can I forward the mirrored traffic?

I already tried creating a new VLAN and "shortcutting" the probe port (e.g. g3) with another port on switch A which is in my "monitoring" VLAN. (e.g. g4). Putting g5 into the monitoring VLAN as well I hoped to see the monitored traffic there as well but in vain.

Eventually I want to not use something like port g5, but instead fwd the traffic over my trunk port to switch B and there to port Y so I can start up Wireshark on my office PC connect the LAN cable connected to port Y on switch B and see all the traffic from switch A situated in the basement there.

Can this be achieved?

BR
Markus

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: GS724 forward mirrored port traffic to another port

Hi Daubsi,

Welcome to Netgear community, your solution won't be working becasue the destination mirrored port can't forward any traffic out by Netgear smart switch design.

What are your looking forward to is RSPAN, user can configure the VLAN to use the remote switched port analyzer (RSPAN) VLAN. RSPAN allows to mirror traffic from multiple source ports (or from all ports that are members of a VLAN) from different network devices and send the mirrored traffic to a destination port (a probe port connected to a network analyzer) on a remote device. The mirrored traffic is tagged with the RSPAN VLAN ID and transmitted over trunk ports in the RSPAN VLAN. Most of high-end Netgear managed switch support this feature, e.g. M5100 series, M4300 series, M6100 and M7100.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Daubsi,

Welcome to Netgear community, your solution won't be working becasue the destination mirrored port can't forward any traffic out by Netgear smart switch design.

What are your looking forward to is RSPAN, user can configure the VLAN to use the remote switched port analyzer (RSPAN) VLAN. RSPAN allows to mirror traffic from multiple source ports (or from all ports that are members of a VLAN) from different network devices and send the mirrored traffic to a destination port (a probe port connected to a network analyzer) on a remote device. The mirrored traffic is tagged with the RSPAN VLAN ID and transmitted over trunk ports in the RSPAN VLAN. Most of high-end Netgear managed switch support this feature, e.g. M5100 series, M4300 series, M6100 and M7100.

Message 2 of 3
daubsi
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for that explanation!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements