× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS752TXS Vlan setup

das2017
Aspirant

GS752TXS Vlan setup

Hello,

I have four GS752TXS switches stacked using the SFP ports 51 and 52 on each switch.  Everything works fine.  Now, I'm trying to set up at least two VLANs and are wondering what's the best way to do it.  I don't have any experience in setting up VLANs.

In doing premilinary testing, I created a test VLAN (VLAN 10), assigned port 38 on switch #3 to it, and removed the same port from the default VLAN (VLAN 1). When I plug in a laptop to that port, I get an IP, but can't access the internet.  

What other steps do I need to take to make sure multiple VLANs can't communicate with each other, but can access the Internet? 

Thanks in advance.

Model: GS752TXS|NETGEAR 48-port Stackable Smart Switch with 10G
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS752TXS Vlan setup

@das2017,

The setup that you have right now is correct. You already Tagged the port going to your router and the test port 38 is set to U - VLAN 10, PVID 10. This should work on this setup unless the VLANs that you created on the router are still not set to Tag. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi das2017,

Welcome to the community!

We need more detailed information as below:

At first, would you please provide your network topology?

Second, which device working as DHCP Server for two VLANs? Firewall or Router?

Typically, we suggest setup network as below:

6574.jpg

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

Hi Eric,

Although I don't have a diagram, it's pretty similar to the one you posted.  I have a router (which, to answer your second question, is also the DHCP server) connected to port #2 on switch #4 in the stack.

Based on your diagram, I would have to configure the VLANs in the router as well, correct?

Would I also have to tag the port the router is connected to (port #2 on switch #4) to all the VLANs I set up?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 17
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@das2017,

You may need to configure VLANs in the router as well. The router will serve as the default gateway on those VLANs and the port should be set to T or Tagged.

Regards,

Message 4 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

Hi @JohnC_V,

Just to be sure, I would have to specifically tag ('T') port #2 on switch #4 for VLAN 10 and any subsequeny VLANs I create, correct?  That's the port that the router is connected to. 

Do I also have to clear it from VLAN 1 (leave it blank instead of 'U' or 'T') or do I leave it as untagged ('U'), which is what it's set as by default?

Thank you,

Message 5 of 17
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@das2017,

Yes, that's correct! No need to do anything else on VLAN 1 as it is your native VLAN. You only need to use U if it is a non-vlan aware unit like pcs, then set PVID to specific VLAN.

Regards,

Message 6 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

@JohnC_V,

Would I need to do any tagging on the SFP ports (51 and 52) since that's how all four units are connected?

Thanks,

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@das2017

SFP ports (51 and 52) working as stack-port, right? If this, no need do any tagging on these ports.

Message 8 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

@Retired_Member, @JohnC_V

Ok, so I set up VLANs on my router, but for some reason I'm getting an a VLAN1 IP address on my test machine instead of a VLAN10 IP address.

For the switches, I have the following configuration:

VLAN1:

• All ports are untagged ('U') except for port #38 on switch #3; it's blank--neither tagged nor untagged.  (This is the port I'm testing with.) 
  • Router IP range is set to: 192.168.1.1-254

VLAN10:

• All ports are blank except for port #38 on switch #3, which is marked untagged ('U'), and port #2 on switch #4, which is marked as tagged ('T').  Again, that's the port the router is plugged in to.
  • Router IP range is set to: 192.168.10.1-254

PVID is "1" for all ports except 3/38, which is "10".

When I hook up a laptop to the test port (#38), it gets an IP from the VLAN1 range.

Before I do some troubleshooting with the router, I just want to be sure that the configuration is correct on the switches.

Thanks again,

Message 9 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @das2017,

For further analysis, Could you please provide the config file of the Switch:

How do I send config files from my Smart Switch to NETGEAR community moderators?

https://kb.netgear.com/31438/How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Smart-Switch-to-NETGEAR-communit...

Message 10 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

Hi @Retired_Member,

I've sent the config file to the email listed at the bottom of the page in the link you posted.

Thank you,

Message 11 of 17
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@das2017,

The setup that you have right now is correct. You already Tagged the port going to your router and the test port 38 is set to U - VLAN 10, PVID 10. This should work on this setup unless the VLANs that you created on the router are still not set to Tag. 

Regards,

Message 12 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

@JohnC_V,

Well, I figured out why the laptop was getting an IP address from VLAN1: it's because unbeknownst to me, the laptop was set up to recieve a static IP address.  That issue is now fixed and the laptop is getting a correct IP address from VLAN10.  However, I'm unable to access the Internet from VLAN10.

Any idea why?

Thank you,

Message 13 of 17
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@das2017,

It seems that the switch works ok now once the IP is now passing thru to the switch. Please double check the configuration that you have from the router. This might just be a DNS issue from it.

Regards,

Message 14 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@das2017

Yes, please check on your laptop, make sure the PC can get correct Gateway and DNS for DHCP Server. Otherwise, it will cause host cannot access to Internet.

Message 15 of 17
das2017
Aspirant

@Retired_Member,

The laptop is getting the correct DHCP address, gateway, and DNS server information, but is still unable to access the Internet.  At this point, I think the issue lies with router, so I'll continue troubleshooting that.

Thank you both, @Retired_Member and @JohnC_V, for taking the time to assist me with switch configuration.

Message 16 of 17
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@das2017,

That would be great! But I'm pretty sure that it would be coming already from your router.  I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements