× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch Dropping Internet Connection

andycritt
Aspirant

Switch Dropping Internet Connection

Bought this GS116Ev2 last November as I needed more ports but have only just got arounfd to installing it. The switch keeps dropping all the connections. Having read other posts, just updated the firmware today and reset more times than i can remember but still no joy. Contacting Netgear directly seems like I have to pay as the switch is more than 90 days old...?! Gone back to my old 5 port switch as at least this works.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
andycritt
Aspirant

Re: Switch Dropping Internet Connection

Hi,

Its not the switch thats at fault, apparently its the Virgin Hub 3 that's the issue. I put my Hub 3 into modem mode and bought an inexpensive wifi router (TP-Link Archer C50 AC120) and this works absolutely fine with the switch. I dont know whether its a compatability issue between the Hub 3 and the switch or just that the Hub 3 cannot support a 16 port switch.

Downside is that now my wifi is slow as despite its faults the wifi from the Hub 3 was fast and I dont really want to spend more money on a faster router, kind of hoping that the virgin Hub 4 will be available soon and that it will work with the switch.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Very uncommon. Bad cable, or potentially broken or failing switch.

As per the Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches Data Sheet these switches come with:

• LIFETIME Limited Hardware Warranty*
(excludes external power adapters on
applicable models)
• LIFETIME 24/7 Chat Technical Support*

Message 2 of 11
andycritt
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have a batch of cat 6 cables and swapped them around but no change. Managed to submit a case to Netgear and after eventually getting through on the phone they offered to swap out the switch FOC within a minute of explaining the situation to them so excellent service there. As for on line chat all I got was “past 90 days, pay for a service” kind of message.

Let’s hope the new switch works.
Message 3 of 11
andycritt
Aspirant

Brand New GS116Ev2 arrived today, plugged in and all worked, for 5 minutes then everything goes offline again..!

Virgin Super Hub 3 connected into Port 1

Ports 2,4 connected to V6 box and Amplifier,

Ports 5-11 around the house to wall sockets

Port 15 to Hive Hub

Port 16 to Synology NAS

Looking at the setup instructions it only needs one ethernet cable into the switch from the hub and into any port?

Plug my old 5 Port GS105E in and everything works fine (whats connected).

Confused..!

Message 4 of 11
Wingle
Aspirant

Just to "+1" this thread. I am having the exact same issue with my device. It's a similar network setup: Virgin Media Hub 3.0, connecting to a NAS and various house room ports, all joined together with the dodgy 16 port switch. DHCP falls over and internet connectivity is lost for everything plugging into the switch.

Temporarily replacing the shiny new switch with an ancient 5-port one solves the connectivity issue reliably.

From reading around other posts, it sounds like a replacement from Netgear is required. I shall contact them now but will probably elect for the unmanaged version of the switch to try and keep things simple.

It's a shame because the switch itself is otherwise brilliant!
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

GS116Ev2 firmware version?

See a port (e.g. the uplink port connected to the router) LED(s) blinking at a constant rate - e.g. because of loop prevention enabled?

System - Management - Broadcast Forwarding ... set to Hardware.

System - MultiCast ... don't block unknonw Multicast.

Message 6 of 11
Wingle
Aspirant

Good advice schumaku, thanks for that. I'll check all those settings out tonight.

The firmware version is definitely the latest one. Updating was the first thing I tried. I'll check the version numbers for that tonight too.
Message 7 of 11
Wingle
Aspirant

running firmware 2.6.0.35

Loop detection was (and remains) disabled

Broadcast forwarding was dynamic, is now set to hardware only

Block Unknown Multicast addresses was disabled, so I've left that alone. But I've also now disabled the IGMP Snooping Status altogether, as per the advice in article 31257

I've done a reboot, plugged all my cables back in... and now we wait and see! 🙂

Thanks for the advice... so far so good. I'll report back.

Message 8 of 11
Wingle
Aspirant

Everything has been running great since I applied those settings. Not a single issue in the last few days.

Thanks for your help and I hope this thread helps others in the future.
Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Thank you for the feedback. Not operating this model - probably something to look into for Netgear engineering @YeZ ... this does not read like a healthy firmware build.

Message 10 of 11
andycritt
Aspirant

Hi,

Its not the switch thats at fault, apparently its the Virgin Hub 3 that's the issue. I put my Hub 3 into modem mode and bought an inexpensive wifi router (TP-Link Archer C50 AC120) and this works absolutely fine with the switch. I dont know whether its a compatability issue between the Hub 3 and the switch or just that the Hub 3 cannot support a 16 port switch.

Downside is that now my wifi is slow as despite its faults the wifi from the Hub 3 was fast and I dont really want to spend more money on a faster router, kind of hoping that the virgin Hub 4 will be available soon and that it will work with the switch.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements