Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware Upgrade

Hi netgears,

I bought a GSS116E last year.

Bootloader V1.0.0.5 / Firmware V1.6.0.5

I am remembering trying to upgrade at least once last year or at the beginning of this year.

IIRC the upgrade did not work, the switch had to be hard power cycled, but worked none the less afterwards.

Now I decided to tackel this again, but apparently the firmware is no longer available. It only lists ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.7.8 under downloads. This software is declared end-of-life.

* suppert & download gss116e: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GSS116E.aspx

* download prosafe versions: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/prosafe%20plus%20utility.aspx#download

What is the currently recommended upgrade procedure? I also thought there were separate downloads for the bootloader available in the past?

I would preferr a browser based solution if possible.

Thanks for your attention

Model: GS116E|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabit switch
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Firmware Upgrade

Based on community reports, there were several issues with updating especially the boot loader where required - looks like it was pulled from the downlod listing.

Unless I'm wrong - and at your own risk - here is a recent (if not the last) update: GSS116E Firmware Version 1.6.1.3 ... should be reasonable as your switch bootloader seems to be current (both files are included).

The ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility is the method of choice for the special case where the bootloader update is required - and for the firmware under some conditions, regardless.

Curious if @DaneA or @JohnC_V can provide some insight on the current status.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@k0BAy-ng,

We apologize for the inconvenience.  The GSS116E firmwares were removed as a precaution.  Some issues were flagged and the NETGEAR Engineering Team are currently investigating it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

@schumaku 

I used the prosafe tool to update the switch. Seems to be stable, at least for one day now.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

@DaneA 

We apologize for the inconvenience.  The GS116E firmwares were removed as a precaution.  Some issues were flagged and the NETGEAR Engineering Team are currently investigating it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

I upgraded to 1.6.1.3 and it seems to be stable. What is the current advice regarding firmware for the GS116E?

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

@k0BAy-ng wrote:

I upgraded to 1.6.1.3 and it seems to be stable. What is the current advice regarding firmware for the GSS116E?

The upgrade of the boot loader and/or the firmware can leave you with a broken, non-working GSS116E switch.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements