Highlighted
Admin

Why We Require Registration on Smart Pro Switches

smart-managed.png

NETGEAR has begun to require registration for manageable products due to enhanced concerns for security compliance and customer care in all regions of the world. An informational flyer is packed into all new shipping products. Learn more about why you should register your NETGEAR Switches and other business products.

The registration requirement applies to the following products:

Smart Managed Pro Switches

Insight Managed Smart Cloud Switches

Smart Managed Pro Switch with Cloud Management

Smart Managed Plus Switches (Reg is recommended, but not required)

The benefits to registering your switches are many including:

Registration helps you keep your switch up to date and safe. We will be able to alert you if any new regulations are passed which require us to have additional security or privacy features.

Registering helps you unlock switch warranty and support entitlements. We will be able to significantly simplify the process of getting you help if your product ever fails or needs troubleshooting.

Registering switches gives you peace of mind. We will let you know about all new fixes or features which we add to your product and will supply you with links to let you upgrade. For instance, the recently added Insight Management options to certain smart pro switch firmware. 

Be aware that we take your privacy very seriously and we will never share your information with third parties. We also allow you to determine exactly what information we will send to you in the future.

There are certain switch functions that will still be accessible for unregistered switches such as IP Configuration, Switch Soft rebooting, factory resetting and more. A full list here unregistered functionality of Smart Managed Pro Switches can be found here. 

To access the full configuration and management capabilities of your switch, register your switch to your NETGEAR account

insight-app-screenshot-array.pngThere are several options you can use when registering your switches. One of our favorites is with the NETGEAR Insight Remote Management App. Simply download on iOS or Android, then follow the on-screen registration instructions in the “Register any NETGEAR device on the hamburger menu. Insight makes it super easy to scan the QR code on the device with your phone. Or, if you have Insight Premium credits you can also register from www.insight.netgear.com. Note, *All NETGEAR devices can be registered with the Insight app, but only devices labelled as Insight Managed are fully manageable by Insight and included in the Insight subscription as a paid device. Learn more about the Insight solution and subscriptions at www.netgear.com/insight 

Other alternatives for registration of any NETGEAR product (including switches) by visiting mynetgear.com. Once there, you can create or login to a My Netgear account then use on-screen instructions to register your products.

Finally, if you can also register your switches directly in its management screen as long as it has access to the Internet. From the local LAN (to the switch) browse to its IP address in a supported web browser. Instructions are included in the switch interface for registering the device.

For additional information on these procedures and processes, please visit the NETGEAR Product Registration FAQ.

Product Registration FAQ:

https://kb.netgear.com/1160/NETGEAR-Product-Registration-FAQ

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 1 of 27
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why We Require Registration on Smart Pro Switches

Netgear,

I don't want to register my products.

You do not advertise that 98% of functionality is completely removed from your product without registration.

This is complete false advertisement.

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 2 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@Retired_Member, are you confusing registration (which can be done even offline by acquiring a code which has to be written into the switch config) with the non-mandatory Insight association which does add the cloud-based login? 

Netgear does require the mandatory registration, in turn you as the original buyer get full control on the switch, limited lifetime warranty and chat support. This is a fair deal.

Message 3 of 27
Highlighted
Admin

Hello @Retired_Member 

There are several ways to manage your Smart Pro switches, including:

1. Registering your switch and logging into it. (Internet Not Required, just enter “offline registration key” into the field.)
  2. Registering your switch with Insight Cloud and remotely managing it. (Internet required)
  3. Registering one switch, then saving your configuration and uploading it to an unregistered switch of the same model.

To ensure all of the options are available on your specific switch, you may need to download and install the latest firmware from the NETGEAR support site. You can do this without registering the device, using the “maintenance GUI” which is available by skipping registration on the login screen to the switch. Registration of your switch entitles you to the full warranty of the product, as well as 90-days free support (all modes), and limited lifetime chat support. If you are having issues with unlocking the full GUI of your switch or with obtaining the latest firmware, you may be having a technical issue let us know and we’ll reach out to you.

Please note that once you’ve registered your switch (assuming you didn’t do it from the switch GUI), the switch will need to receive acknowledgement that it’s been registered, but only once. This happens one of two ways:

1)      If the switch is connected to the internet AND not blocked from reaching the NETGEAR registration server (check your firewall), it will automatically acknowledge its registration status and won’t connect back to NETGEAR again after that (unless you completely factory default and erase all of the switch settings, essentially telling the switch it’s no longer registered).

2)      If the switch is not connected to the internet (or blocked from reaching the NETGEAR registration server), you can type in the registration key provided to you from your registration on mynetgear.com (or from the Insight app) and manually type it into the respective field on the switch login page. The switch will then know it’s been registered and unlock all of the features, and won’t require any further action (unless you completely factory default and erase all of the switch settings, essentially telling the switch it’s no longer registered).

Please be assured NETGEAR is not tracking your logins into the switch or any other information about the switch or your network. The handshake is done ONLY to acknowledge that the switch has been registered, thereby entitling you to the full warranty, support, and future firmware upgrades for the device.

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 4 of 27
Highlighted
Initiate

Whatever the reason, it should still be for the end user to decide whether to register the device or not. I find it ridiculous that the device that I bought is useless out of the box.

Message 5 of 27
Highlighted

It is absoliutely clear to me that I will *never* *ever* would buy a switch which even thinks of sending packets to the manufacturer on its own initiative. Whether it is just for registration purposes or otherwise.

And, similarly, I would not buy a product where registration of any of my data is required.

Good that I stumbled on to this web site - I will search a different product now.

Message 6 of 27
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Username194506 

Thanks for considering NETGEAR products. Regarding your comments, we would like to clarify on few thing related to device registration:

• The switch only contacts NETGEAR after a full factory default to see if it’s already registered. This can be stopped by leaving the switch “offline” and manually entering the Offline Registration Key which tells the switch it’s been registered.
  • NETGEAR does not send any of your data packets anywhere, ever, outside of your network.
  • Many national governments require manufacturers to contact customers in the event of a security incident to patch the software. This essentially forces manufacturers to require customers to register their products. You will not receive any promotional messaging as a result. That is opt-in only, which is common in today’s privacy laws. We also would like to assure our customers once again we will NEVER use their registration information for any commercial purpose.

Please feel free to contact us if you still have concerns.

Message 7 of 27
Highlighted

@Iphie_C wrote:

Hi @Username194506 

Thanks for considering NETGEAR products.

I am sorry, but I am no longer considering NETGEAR products. I have bought some 15 switches of Netgear during the last 20 years or so. The switch I ordered today afternoon was a D-Link. The reason: The corresponding model of netgear has a restricted functionality if I choose not to register it. Your choice - my choice. I am sorry.

@Iphie_C wrote:

Hi @Username194506 

• The switch only contacts NETGEAR after a full factory default to see if it’s already registered. This can be stopped by leaving the switch “offline” and manually entering the Offline Registration Key which tells the switch it’s been registered.
  • NETGEAR does not send any of your data packets anywhere, ever, outside of your network.

I am sorry again, but you second bullet is in contradiction to your first bullet. Obviously the switch DOES contact netgear under certain conditions. Leaving a switch "offline" is no option for me. Being forced into registering a product is no option for me as well and it is also in violation of the GDPR.  

@Iphie_C wrote:

Hi @Username194506 

• Many national governments require manufacturers to contact customers in the event of a security incident to patch the software. This essentially forces manufacturers to require customers to register their products. You will not receive any promotional messaging as a result. That is opt-in only, which is common in today’s privacy laws.

You are right. It **ESSENTIALLY** forces manufacturers. It does not force them, it only **ESSENTIALLY** forces them. And between these two things there is a big difference.

First: If you contact the customer you as well as givernments still have no assurance that the customer reads the email and choses to patch or not to patch. Thus you could as welll leave it to the decision of the customer.

Second: There is no law which forces you to identify the customer by name or address. Rather the opposite: There is a law which makes it illegal to force the customer into registration unless registration is necessary for the operation of the product. Which it clearly is not. There are numerouse manufacturers who do not.

Third: You rather chose to intentionally cripple the advertised functions of a product in order to bully a customer into registration....and that's exactly where my decision is not to buy from you any more. I simply love choice.

There are quite a number of other products which bully similarly: They provide cloud services and claim, technically, a registration would be necessary. Technically this nearly never is necessary: For example, a cloud registration could often be replaced technically by a dynamic DNS service. Needless to say that I also do not buy these types of products.

And...before we start quarelling here about the details: You could take this as valuable feedback of a customer. It is *because* I liked (past tense) netgear products that I am providing this feedback to you. I am back as a customer as soon as this policy gets changed. No sooner. Sorry.

Message 8 of 27
Highlighted
Initiate

I just found this thread after having to disable internet access to a newly installed GS110TP in order to be able to remotely configure it for VOIP services to a small government office.

In the past year, I have personally recommended and subsequently sold 100s of Netgear switches... discovering now (the delay is due to supply chain issues) that registration is required and that a web management subscription service without a local login option is the default is an unacceptable development.

Disabling functionality from 3 logins is unacceptable. Attempting to force web based authentication systems and subscription "managed" services for a switch is unacceptable.

I would rather eat the cost differential to install a comparable Cisco switch than deal with the support headaches these incompetant decisions will cause. We will be moving to a different vendor due to this situation.

Message 9 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@mbrinkman all you have to do is to register (offline, any browser) the device, fetch the registration key from the Netgear registration site, and put it onto the switch - presto, full functionality available. Take note (record somehere, Brother type it to a tape attached, ...) to the switch in case it has to be factory reset and the information should be handy instead of grabbing fron the Netgear site again.

At no point, the switch must be able to reach the Internet.

Tell me what I have missed.

Message 10 of 27
Highlighted
Initiate

@schumakuThat's not entirely true: Version 7.0.1.20 that initially came with my device gave me the choice to either sign in with an account or create a new account. If you really want to avoid this, you have to pull tricks like disconnecting it from the the internet, update the firmware and go for the offline registration. Later firmware is a bit more flexible, but this is all by far not the default procedure and it's time consuming.

I wrote an extended product review on the well visited tweakers.net and people seem to be glad that I warned them.

Message 11 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@bs870 nice review, good job! 

Over time people will understand that decent IT security policies prohibit connecting something out of the box to the production network - without having the latest security updates in place, hand probably having done some basic configuration before. Processes from "what we used to do" should have changed in today's QA world.

Of course I had (intentionally) kept the above post short. Had nagged a lot in the background so Netgear has added the flexibility required. No question, the factory firmware on stock devices "out there" is more than unlucky.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 12 of 27
Highlighted

@schumaku wrote:

Tell me what I have missed.

Exactly one aspect: People do not *want* this feature.

And, to explain it in a bit more detail: When I am buying some stuff out there in the Internet, I want to pay with my hard-earned money and I want to get my merchandise. That's all. I do not want to register, sign-up, provide my email-address or my hair color, say hello to the marketing department, answer questions about the shopping experience, my birth date or the number of children or what have you. I simply do not *want" this. That's why I quite consistently shop on places and for products which do not force me into this.

I have been long enough in the IT business to know so many different modes how providing this information or agreeing into any informational link with the manufacturer is not in my interest. And: Netgear spent quite some time do implement this feature - and it does not improve the product in any visible way for me. So, obviously, this "feature" is not in my interest.

Since my first email on this, I had bought 3 switches. Not from Netgear.

But, since Netgear makes excellent switches: I am ready to come back as soon as this policy changes. No hard feelings.

What you have missed: This is feedback of a customer liking you products and your company, but not that feature.

Message 13 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@Username194506 wrote:

What you have missed: This is feedback of a customer liking you products and your company, but not that feature.

Note: I'm just yet another Netgear customer and systems integrator.

Message 14 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@bs870 afraid I want to pick-up your false rant on the GS105PE in the comments under your review...(similar to do an installaion on the other switch using outdated factory firmware ....):

"I had looked at the documentation beforehand to see what the peak power of the devices could be. Usually the actual consumption is considerably below it, but they may achieve that during start-up. According to Ubiquiti, the nanoHD can for example consume a maximum of 10.5W, but I see it continuously at 4.4Watt. The port that powers the GS105PE and one of the cameras uses only 4 watts.
According to Netgear, the GS105PE can pass 19Watts through the two pass-through ports, but it never does."

That's complete garbage I'm afraid - unqualified bashing because you were unhappy about  Netgear's registration requirement...

You should learn an understand on how the IEEE PoE system does work instead of leaving negative and false information in the net.

It's not - leaving alone Netgear's Flex PoE switches offering some more flexibility - a plain simple math thing. Most PoE PD devices (unless explicitly defined differently) identify to the PSE as Class 3 or an undefined Class 0 device. Is this information in the Ubiquity data sheet? Typically not, because they don't care much about the standardized PoE. This does make the PSE (here the PoE switch) reserving 15.4 Watts for this device. This is correct and it does follow 100% strictly the IEEE design.

Netgear put up a nice KB on this, titled GS105PE PoE Troubleshooting explaining on a high level what is possible, and what not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GS105PE switch (gee we deployed thousands of these commercially ....). It does work as expected and designed. Only people who don't want to understand IEEE PoE standardisation are leaving negative comments.

Rant mode off.

Message 15 of 27
Highlighted
Guide

Requiring registration is a very disappointing change. Something that will make me not consider Netgear devices anymore. Registration and cloud management must both be opt-in, I do not want my switches to talk to the Internet. Ever. Period.

You can offer incentives such as a discount or some extended warranty/support if you REALLY want customers to register, but to cripple device features is not cool at all.

Message 16 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@ngsw wrote:

Registration and cloud management must both be opt-in, I do not want my switches to talk to the Internet. Ever. Period.

Feel free to configure your router/firewall accordingly. Cloud management is opt-in, local Web management is default, isn't it?

The Netgear Smart Managd Plus and Pro switches are checking the registration status while accessing the Web UI - through the computer - for years. The only control there ever was is the do-no-longer-show-the-intrusive-pop-up.

@ngsw wrote:

You can offer incentives such as a discount or some extended warranty/support if you REALLY want customers to register, but to cripple device features is not cool at all.

The incentives are life time warranty and chat support (oddly not for the GC models). The ability for an off-line registration exists, the switch does never have to connect the Internet. 

Message 17 of 27
Highlighted

The incentives are life time warranty and chat support (oddly not for the GC models). The ability for an off-line registration exists, the switch does never have to connect the Internet. 

Connecting to the Internet is not the issue here.

The issue is that a customer is forced to provide personal data, name, address, email contact and possibly more. 

I do not want to be contacted or provide my data. I can buy batteries, monitors, ice cream and many other things without providing my data. Why should I provide my data when buying a switch or router?

Moreover we are approaching a slippery slope of surveillance. Still remember the times when, on the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog? This is a famous cartoon (Google it!) from 1993 or so. These days it is practically impossible to book a flght or a hotel room without providing one's data - and this is bad. 

So long as I have a choice a will not buy Netgear products - until this policy is changed. 

Message 18 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@Username194506 wrote:

That's what you complained about above..

@Username194506 wrote:

The issue is that a customer is forced to provide personal data, name, address, email contact and possibly more. I do not want to be contacted or provide my data.

You are free to use any kind of proxy or alias name, using an anonymous IP service - can't see anything prohibiting this ... just the way I guess you communicate here in the community (unless this is a "shared" account).

This works also for a support case, for a warranty replacement, ...  probably for any vendor. 

@Username194506 wrote:

I can buy batteries, monitors, ice cream and many other things without providing my data. Why should I provide my data when buying a switch or router?

As long as you deal with a retailer selling products for cash we can. And of course you must not use any of the big search engine or vendor Web site before buying, leave your mobile at home while out for shopping, pay cash, hide your face, cover your car number plates, ... 

Good luck my friend!

Message 19 of 27
Highlighted
Guide

The Netgear Smart Managd Plus and Pro switches are checking the registration status while accessing the Web UI - through the computer - for years. The only control there ever was is the do-no-longer-show-the-intrusive-pop-up.

Are you sure about this? I have a GS108Tv2 and I do not think it ever tried to connect to Netgear and I've never seen a registration popup from it. I never set a Gateway or DNS on the switch and it has a static IP, it doesn't get anything from DHCP. Unless it's doing something sneaky, it should not be able to connect anywhere with these settings.

Switches should stay isolated on the LAN. Of course, add a feature for remote management, but enable it only if the user wants to do so.

All this "smart" and "convenience" is just marketing talk, it adds zero real value which you could get anyway by having a setting for those who really want to opt in. It is about choice and I know what my choice is going forward, I don't need Netgear to force my choice.

I do not want my personal info to be in any Netgear database. We deal with data leaks all the time, why would I trust Netgear with my personal information?

Message 20 of 27
Highlighted

> That's what you complained about above..

Sorry. I forgot the "only" in the above sentence. My bad.

> You are free to use any kind of proxy or alias name, using an anonymous IP service - can't see anything prohibiting this ... just the way I guess you communicate here in the community (unless this is a "shared" account).

I don't want that hassle with an Ethernet switch. What I do want is: Give my money and my business to companies which do not force me to do all that but which simply respect customer privacy as a value.

Actually, it is pretty much easy. A decent ad blocker, Duck Duck Go as a search engine, Cryptpad instead of Office 365 or GoogleDocs, a nice PiHole as DNS proxy, ProtonMail instead of Gmail, a decent VPN. And you learn quite a lot about the network as well while doing all this. :-)

Netgear made pretty good switches. UNTIL they came up with this registration stuff all my network devices were Netgear devices. I am grateful I found this thread in time because it saved me the hassle of sending the stuff back.

Just right now I am travelling and in my bags I have a quite expensive Axis camera (because Netgears Arlo forces me to use their cloud) and two also quite expensive Linux boxes, which I will install as router / siwtch / firewall devices. Ok. Netgear nodes would have been cheaper and probably faster. But on these boxes I first do not have to register myself and second I get all the services I am knowledgable in (and not only the ones I am enabled for, after some registration).

Message 21 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@ngsw wrote:

Are you sure about this?

No idea whan Netgear has introduced these registration pop-ups. These exist for a longer time already, here an older GUI version one:

NTGR old Web UI registration pop-up.PNG

Probaly a little lazy wording from my side - certainly, the Web UI code can...the first few lines of the older Netgear switch Web UI registration pop-up does contain it -  see attached below.

@ngsw wrote:

I have a GS108Tv2 and I do not think it ever tried to connect to Netgear and I've never seen a registration popup from it.

Some silent pop-up blockers might have prohibited showing it up, or a simple [Turn Off] has really shut the behaviour and the code in the pop-up.

@ngsw wrote:

I never set a Gateway or DNS on the switch and it has a static IP, it doesn't get anything from DHCP. Unless it's doing something sneaky, it should not be able to connect anywhere with these settings.

I've never said that the older switches talking direct to the outer world - easy to avoid as you said of course.

@ngsw wrote:

Switches should stay isolated on the LAN. Of course, add a feature for remote management, but enable it only if the user wants to do so.

That's how Netgear Insight cloud management is implemented. Don't blame the messenger on Netgear's initial errors on these switch set-up processes. The switches default to the local Web UI. There is no cloud management enforced.

Here the first code block of the registration pop-up I've mentioned - so it's your Web browser talking to the Netgear cloud.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="/base/style.css" TYPE="text/css">
<META http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <!-- Style Sheet link and Meta data     -->
        <TITLE>NETGEAR GS510TP</TITLE>   <!-- Netgear Page Title         --> 

<script src="/base/js/jquery-1.6.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script  src="/base/js/rollover.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script  src="/base/js/browser.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'>
var devicePingURL = "https://my.netgear.com/Registration/deviceping.aspx?callback=?";
var deviceRegistrationURL ="https://my.netgear.com/mynetgear/registerbycd.asp?";
var ajaxtimeout = 60000;
var connectionErrMsg ="Error: There is a communication error while accessing Netgear Registration server. Registration process failed, please check your Internet connectivity, and register the product next time you login.";

@ngsw wrote:

I do not want my personal info to be in any Netgear database. We deal with data leaks all the time, why would I trust Netgear with my personal information?

Well, there are data processing standards today on how personal data must be protected and how it can be used. **bleep** can happen everywhere. With your government, with your bank. With your credit card provider. ... And you are free to register as Mickey Mouse, ngsw (as you already are!), or whatever here. No loss.

Message 22 of 27
Highlighted
Guide

>>> Well, there are data processing standards today on how personal data must be protected and how it can be used. **bleep** can happen everywhere.

Isn't it a lot easier on everyone if they just don't have the info at all? All the GDPR, CCPA is reactive and a I pain to exercise your rights.

As for using fake info, sure you can register with fake info and then when you need warranty they will have a reason to decline it because the device is registered to "someone else".

Message 23 of 27
Highlighted
Guru

@ngsw wrote:

As for using fake info, sure you can register with fake info and then when you need warranty they will have a reason to decline it because the device is registered to "someone else".

There is a major difference between an intentional false identity vs. providing just random data and a throw-away email address. As I've wrote before about the incentives. What's the point for providing different (probably your real) identity in the warranty case if you don't want to be in the database? Warranty (and depending on the product range the free support) does start with the product registration for the original buyer, not the moment you or somebody else has a warranty case on the box. And that's the "other" reason Netgear does enforce the registration during the initial set-up: It's called potential warranty and support fraud. 

Look, I do not agree with the limited functionality which is on unless the product is registered. But I agree with all the other reasons why Netgear does it. Last but not least, because Netgear does still offer very good switches, and good services.

Message 24 of 27
Highlighted
Guide

To each his own. I just voted with my wallet and purchased a Cisco SG250-08 instead of another Netgear switch.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements