× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bricked stora help

jigen71
Aspirant

Rif.: Bricked stora help

Thank you Very Much!!!!

@Gitsovwrote:

Check your PMs

Message 26 of 51
PGranato
Aspirant

Re: Bricked stora help

Could you please share the solution with me as well?

thank you!!

Message 27 of 51
DocTobbi
Aspirant

This describes my exact problem - can you please also share the solution with me.

Thx.

Message 28 of 51
DocTobbi
Aspirant

Hello,

would be great if anyone is looking at the postings as this is the only thread were I can see that additonal help was offered to the stora recovery issue.

I have been trying for more than 20 times to go through the recovery procedures. All works as expected only in the end I have the power LED on and both HDD blinking green to orange/amber. At times I can see Stora as "StoraRecovery" in my network - however unabel to access it.

Would be great to get a workable solution - otherwise I will have to rescue my data through a Linux PC as I have loads of relevant data on the HD.

Message 29 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

@PGranato: PM sent

@DocTobbi: I am a human and I need to sleep from time to time. Your message was received around the midnight yesterday, while I was sleeping. Obviously if you have time critical data on that unit, which can't wait few hours, there is a plenty of choices for new unit from your local stores.

Message 30 of 51
DocTobbi
Aspirant

Thank you very much! The solution you provided worked just fine and everything is working again.

I have to admit that I had hoped for a quick fix which does not require much IT know how. But that was before I understood the actual problem. I managed to work my way through the solution in about 2 hours - doing most of the steps for the first time ever Smiley Wink. The description is really good and it was worth every minute as it got my Stora going again. Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 51
patrese993
Aspirant

Hello, can you please share the solution with me as well? My Stora only powers on correctly, if there are no harddrives in it, already tried to reflash, but without change....
Message 32 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check S.M.A.R.T of hard drives first. For me looks more likely that you have faulty HDD, that firmware issue. I've sent you PM in case you need to reflash unit. Check and write down registration data first!

Message 33 of 51
patrese993
Aspirant

Haha, thanks man!

The idea to check the SMART values turned my attention to the drives and they apparently worked fine in my external drive enclosure. So I checked them again in the Stora, then I heard that they didn't spin up to their full rpm, and the fan actually dropped rpm simultaneously.

That turned my attention to the power supply, which obviously wasn't able to hold its voltage anymore.

Replaced it, now everything is back on track again!

Message 34 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Make sure that you replaced power supply with same or above characteristics as original one (12V, 5A I think) for example 3,5A adapter either will be fried on ocassional heavy load or will damage hard drives. Even that on first sight it will work. In the past I managed to power on Stora with 12V/2A, but without HDDs, when I added 500GB WD blue - it began to "click".

Message 35 of 51
emtea
Aspirant

Hi Gitsov, I have 2 2-bay stora units. The newer one stopped working some years ago [and is therefore in excellent condition btw]. The problem was just as many are describing in this post and at the time I spent a long time trying and failing to reset it. Now my old faithful seems to have given up the ghost in the same way and it's causing me not a little anxiety. If I can get them running again much gratitude and happiness would ensue! Please send the solution at your earliest convenience.

I have a WNR2000v2 and an MS2110

Thanks in advance, meastro.

Message 36 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for delayed reply. I've sent you PM. Let me know the outcome and I will try to help you as much as I can. Even damaged NAND can be repaired - I have few available at the moment.

Message 37 of 51
ggimbcn
Aspirant

Hello,

I have this very same simptoms.. Help would be truly appreciated..! Thanks a lot!

Message 38 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Check your PMs. Please note that registration wizard will fail because it's checking for updates from Netgear server, which is down ATM. I have a half ready resolution for that, but my "development" unit died yesterday and I will need to find replacement to finish that.

Message 39 of 51
bee808
Aspirant

Could you please share that solution with me as well.

Thank you in advance.

Message 40 of 51
KrayzieKeegs83
Aspirant

Advise please, setup stora on new network after some time off line 5 resets and i was able to get loged in but sttill can not view or open the stora, new ip set application tells me its logged in can not view it anywhere, when web login used i get this error "Error message: at /var/www/admin/update.pm line 346" can not SSH as instructed by others

Message 41 of 51
bee808
Aspirant

If you see an error "/var/www/admin/update.pm line 346", then you know the Stora's name, username and password. It's good.
You need to solve the problem with connecting SSH. I use Putti for this.
As a login, you need to specify your login of the form your_login_hipserv2_netgear_ХХХХ-ХХХХ-ХХХХ-ХХХХ, where ХХХХ-ХХХХ-ХХХХ-ХХХХ  - can be found on the back of the Stora.
The connection goes to the local address of the Stora on port 22.
If it does not work, write, please, what the Stora answers.

Message 42 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Guys,

Please hold on. I will need several hours to complete with firmware modification and it will never found update anymore. Result is always "Your firmware is up to date" regardless it is or it is not. Just need to adjust some scripts on recovery VM, apply last update and create new file with changed VM.

Message 43 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Fixed recovery is ready. Who needs it - send me PM. Changes are outlined in Readme.txt file.

Message 44 of 51
KrayzieKeegs83
Aspirant

I can log in with Puddy but dont here to go from there to restore the system. Do we have a read me set by step file. Where does he he storage fo from here

Message 45 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

If you can connect to Stora with ssh just type these commands

get root privileges with this command:

sudo -i

Then copy/paste this command and hit Enter key:

echo "4" > /var/lib/admin-util/setup-page

Return back to Stora web management page and continue with setup/registration. This fix is temporary - just allows setup to finish. If you reset unit back to defaults it will throw same error.

Other permanent fix - reflash firmware with fixed one. Drop me PM if you want to go with firmware reflash - I created VM which flashes fixed firmware.

Message 46 of 51
MACRI20
Aspirant

Hi guys
Any help would be appreciated. I have the 2 bay stora as well. Turned it in just now and the power light is out with the 2 Hdd lights alternating orange.

Any hep would be appriciate. I didn't initiate a restore or anything. Just powered on the unit.

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help.
Message 47 of 51
MACRI20
Aspirant

Ok so after writing that post the stora came back up and seemed to be ok.
I went to login and it went through the registration process again.
I setup using the same username and password however got an error message on the last screen so it was still unaccessible.
I managed to SSH into it fine and tried to run the script that someone posted previously (however after following all the instructions still didn't seem to get past that error with the username).
I've since tried to do a reclash and it's managed to pull the update (from God knows where) it's just finished and is running again.
Still haven't tried accessing it as I fear the same issue will be present when trying to create the user ID.
Hoping someone can assist with bypassing this (as I believe it's trying to access a server that doesn't exist anymore).
Message 48 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs. If you reflashed unit from recovery serve it will give you error 346 again and will stuck at updates checking. Root cause is that update host is not powered on, but it's mysql service is down and that error message causes silly update checker to think that there is new update.

Just check my PM deploy VM as shown in PDF and reflash unit, after that no updates will be detected (EVER!) and activation won't fail. IF you accidently press button for update check in web interface, it will return that unit is up-to date (and it will be, as update is pre-installed already). There is an additional bonus tweak made in that FW image - check README.txt on Linux desktop.

Message 49 of 51
utterchaos
Tutor

Need help says file deleted
Message 50 of 51
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7