× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Desktop mirror problems.

Jensenfromdenma
Follower

Desktop mirror problems.

When I try to backup my documents, I get following report, that explains why I can't make a backup using "Desktop Mirror".

Desktop Mirror Report
=====================
Desktop Mirror started on 2010-02-28 13:04
13:04 Backing up C:\Users\Søren og Tanja\Documents\Hus\Stejlehøjen 28\økonomi
13:04 building file list ...
13:04 0 files...
13:04 copyFolderToServer failed for: C:\Users\Søren og Tanja\Documents\Hus\Stejlehøjen 28\økonomi
13:04 Update status of C:\Users\Søren og Tanja\Documents\Hus\Stejlehøjen 28\økonomi: up to date on this computer
13:04 Update status of C:\Users\Søren og Tanja\Documents\Hus\Stejlehøjen 28\økonomi: missing on the Server
Desktop Mirror completed on 2010-02-28 13:04

It is possible to make a backup using Vista backup, but I would prefere using the Stora Agent software instead.

Looking forward for some assistance.

Regards
Søren
Message 1 of 17
repond1
Aspirant

Re: Desktop mirror problems.

I've exactly the same problem. I'm working with Windows 7. Desktop mirror seems to works with C: directory, but when I try to mirror a directory on my 😧 disk I receive the error:
... up to date on this computer
... missing on the Server
Desktop Mirror completed on 2010-02-28 13:04

Any idea???
Message 2 of 17
Tyla
Aspirant

I too am having the same problem but only from my Laptop over the home wireless network. My Tower Computer hard wired to the Wireless Router is working fine
I have tried everything, I even had a IT Tec come and have a look at my network and he couldn't solve the problem. The desktop Mirror locates the Stora and goes through the motions but defaults on the final back up
Following copy of Desktop Report:
Desktop Mirror Report
=====================
Desktop Mirror started on 2010-03-03 09:42
09:42 Backing up C:\Users\Adinistrator\Documents
09:42 building file list ...
09:42 0 files...
09:42 100 files...
09:42 200 files...
09:42 300 files...
09:42 400 files...
09:42 500 files...
09:42 600 files...
09:42 700 files...
09:42 800 files...
09:42 900 files...
09:42 1000 files...
09:42 1100 files...
09:42 1200 files...
09:42 1300 files...
09:42 1400 files...
09:42 1500 files...
09:42 1600 files...
09:42 1700 files...
09:42 1800 files...
09:42 1900 files...
09:42 2000 files...
09:42 2100 files...
09:42 2200 files...
09:42 sent 67287 bytes received 20 bytes 19230.57 bytes/sec
09:42 total size is 1094239203 speedup is 16257.44
09:42 copyFolderToServer failed for: C:\Users\Adinistrator\Documents
09:42 Update status of C:\Users\Adinistrator\Documents: up to date on this computer
09:42 Update status of C:\Users\Adinistrator\Documents: missing on the Server
Desktop Mirror completed on 2010-03-03 09:42

I hope someone can help
Tyla :confused:
Message 3 of 17
turbocow
Aspirant

When I had that problem I had to perform a hard reset on the Stora to resolve it. Please note you have to recreate the Stora users to get my files back after you do the reset. Please do this carefully in case you lose your files.

It was after this started happening that I was unable to map windows explorer to the MyComputers and MyLibrary shares, but I could still map to Family library.
Message 4 of 17
peteDK2010
Aspirant

@Søren;
Can you let me know how you got the Vista back up to work with the Stora. My Vista is not showing any network drives at all, although the Stora is mapped to the Vista.

THX.
Message 5 of 17
racey
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem. :mad:
Message 6 of 17
racey
Aspirant

Is there a solution to this?
Message 7 of 17
rusdafari
Novice

Netgear, any response to this issue ?!?!?!

I am also having this issue. Running W7 x64. Data stored on 😧 drive
I have tried a hard reset but the problem persists.

Please get back with some advice, as a backup device that does not back up is not very useful 🙂

Thanks
:mad::mad::mad:
Message 8 of 17
Ian_
Novice

I had a similar problem and came across a comment somewhere saying that Desktop Mirror has a problem with file permissions. Because my XP machine has a number of profiles, files can have different owners, depending on how I was logged in when I saved them.
As an example I found that I could copy the whole of My Documents over to the Stora, but when I ran Desktop Mirror certain files would not synchronise. When I checked the file owners, they were a different Windows profile. To solve the problem I went to the top level folder in Windows Explorer (My Documents in this case) and used properties to flow down the ownership to all sub directories and files. Desktop Mirror now works fine.
Hope that works for you too.
Message 9 of 17
racey
Aspirant

Ian_ wrote:
To solve the problem I went to the top level folder in Windows Explorer (My Documents in this case) and used properties to flow down the ownership to all sub directories and files. Desktop Mirror now works fine.

Hi
Can you please clarify what you did to "flow down the ownership to all sub directories and files".
Thanks
Message 10 of 17
Ian_
Novice

right click on folder, select Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner then check Replace owner on subcontainers -OK
I forgot to add you will need to delete the folders on the Stora as they have the old permissions and start with a new backup
Message 11 of 17
racey
Aspirant

Ian_ wrote:
right click on folder, select Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner then check Replace owner on subcontainers -OK
I forgot to add you will need to delete the folders on the Stora as they have the old permissions and start with a new backup

I'm using XP and if I right-click the folder the only properties I see are "General" and "Sharing". I can't see the option you refer to.
Message 12 of 17
Ian_
Novice

You will probably need to have Admin rights on your XP machine to see those tabs
Message 13 of 17
racey
Aspirant

Ian_ wrote:
You will probably need to have Admin rights on your XP machine to see those tabs

I'm the only user so I have admin rights.
Message 14 of 17
Ian_
Novice

It works for me. Do you have XP Home. If so you need to do a safe boot to get the security tab - see the Microsoft KB link below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
However if you are the only user, and you only have one login profile, your problem is not likely to be mixed file permissions.
Message 15 of 17
racey
Aspirant

Ian_ wrote:
It works for me. Do you have XP Home. If so you need to do a safe boot to get the security tab - see the Microsoft KB link below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
However if you are the only user, and you only have one login profile, your problem is not likely to be mixed file permissions.

I have XP Home SP3.
Message 16 of 17
stribst
Novice

racey wrote:
I'm using XP and if I right-click the folder the only properties I see are "General" and "Sharing". I can't see the option you refer to.

It worked for me with Vista
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7