× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost Data Recovery Attemp

MICHAELGRANT
Aspirant

Lost Data Recovery Attemp

I'm trying to use some recovery software (Stellar Phoenix Lunus Data Recovery) to restore some lost data (over 300GB) and the software does not appear to recognize the platform as Linux as some articles claim it's Linux. It also does not recognize it as FAT, NTFS either. However It does see the S.M.A.R.T configuration and two partitions. The main partition as 938GB and Windows Disk Manager see's the 2nd partition as a Boot Drive.

Does anyone know what the true platform is? Stellar Phoenix says the software is for recovering Linux Ext4,Ext3, and Ext2 platforms.

Link: http://www.stellarinfo.com/recovery-software.htm
Message 1 of 11
MICHAELGRANT
Aspirant

Re: Lost Data Recovery Attemp

If I must mention, there is nothing wrong with the drive. If I place it back into the Stora Box, it surfaces Okay and shows the default folders created by Stora. Since it was reformatted, I have not saved anything on to the harddrive). There is still 300gb of data laid out on the drive somewhere and the software should detect it if it is truly Linus format.
Message 2 of 11
MICHAELGRANT
Aspirant

Update:

I was told by a Stora developer and other members here on the forum that the harddrive platform was Linux based. I have tried Linux software to recover some lost data and they would not work. I downloaded different recovery applications and FINALLY I AM AT THIS WRITING RESTORING ALL MY LOST FILES. Today is the happiest day of my life since I lost this data early December or late November.

It turns out the actual file format is NTFS of some unknown type. If you need to recover data, use "Stellar Phoenix NTFS Data Recovery.

For what it's worth, besure to always TURN OFF your Stora when exchanging the drive. Netgear advertises on packages, reviews that it is Hot Swapable and that you need not turn it off. Also, make sure your Netgear Box tilt's just slightly towards the back because the drive can slip partially out of it's slot causing Stora to think it's a 2nd mirror drive and performs a automatic format. I'm not really sure what caused Stora to reformat my hardrive without my consent, but I have a theory it was caused by the latter. It has happened to me twice. I have not had the problem since the unit is tilting back a bit. A tech told me that it should have some paddings and it does, but there is still a little gap enough for the drive to slip out a bit.. You could add padding as well.

I'm really sorry that I may sound negative - it can get pretty upsetting when you lose over 300gb of Photoshop documents, RAW Image and jpegs. Expecially when there are Wedding pictures that the clients never got to see.
Message 3 of 11
ajst2duk
Aspirant

did you ever get the wedding pictures back?
Message 4 of 11
robyb
Aspirant

The actual file system for the /home partition is XFS.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 5 of 11
shamrock
Aspirant

happend to me too, how did you recover your data?
Message 6 of 11
DataRecovery
Aspirant

Hi! too bad it happened. It's always cool and safe to have a data recovery tool. Most especially if you have plenty of file to keep and protect. I am using one and so far I am not having problems with it.

Data Recovery
Message 7 of 11
moonwalk
Aspirant

Use UFS Exporer http://www.ufsexplorer.com/
Message 8 of 11
johnmichle515
Aspirant

Hi !

You can use a third party data recovery to recover your lost data easily.One i have used last week is Kernel for data recovery software that recovers lost data due to damaged,deleted,corrupted,formatted,partition or virus attacked.It recovers all deleted data over a single mouse click.You can find it from http://www.harddiskdatarecovery.in

Thanks
Message 9 of 11
corrinemurphy39
Aspirant

Since you have made sure that the storage media you are using has an NTFS partition, it makes your data recovery process all the more easier. This is because there are innumerable number of data recovery software available online to recover files that have been deleted or lost.
Message 10 of 11
Bailifei
Aspirant

i read from several reviews that this data recovery software can recover data in Linux.
u can download the trial version to see whether it can work with u.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7