× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Raid Free space issue

gyves
Aspirant

Stora Raid Free space issue

Hi,
I have 2 issues/problems with my Stora, but the Netgear support can't help.

1) Wrong available free disk space:
- I bought 2 Tb disks.
- I have ejected properly the first 1 TB (slot 2) .
- Then I have put the first 2 Tb disk in the slot 2.
- Stora has synced correctly the 2Tb disk to the 1Tb disk.
- When the RAID sync has finished and I have put the second 2Tb.
- Stora has synced correctly the second 2Tb disk to the first 2Tb disk.
- Now I have two harddrive with 2 tb on my Stora.
- But In the setup page, the available free space still same.
- I have done a hard reset, but nothing change, Netgear support said to me to do a format of the two disk, but we advice to me to make a backup (see the second issue)

2) Frezzed Backup tool :
- Before to format my two new raid disks, I would like to make a Stora backup on an external USB disk (500 gb), the disk is recognized by the Stora and active for the Netgear backup.
- I can't start any backup, because some previous backup still active and in a cancellation process, also after the hard reset!

I need help to resolve my issue or to resinstall the firmware, I don't know what to do...
Message 1 of 4
Southkil
Aspirant

Re: Stora Raid Free space issue

Hi,

1) By doing the disk swap the way you described, you'll only ever get 1Tb of disk space available. The only way to get the full 2Tb is to take all of the data off of the 1Tb drives, then remove them both, insert one off the 2Tb drives, copy the data back and then insert the second 2Tb drive to build the RAID.

By doing the way that you have, the RAID can only be as big as the smallest drive I the RAID. Ie you your case, one 1Tb drive and one 2Tb drive, the largest the RAID can be is 1Tb.

2) try to use the self diagnostic and repair tool, http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=59089 , this will fix the stuck USB backup.

Cheers

🙂
Message 2 of 4
gyves
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!
The backup issue is fixed with your tool and a hard reset.
But for the free space issue, I must format the disks after a stora backup then restore the datas. 😞
Message 3 of 4
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi,

Yep, glad the backup issue is fixed.

As for the disks format. You will have to do this as you've already partitioned the disks. You will have to remove the partitions first. Once this is done, the stora will ask you to format them.

🙂
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7