× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora drive compatibility list

Galin
Novice

Re: Stora drive compatibility list

Working:
1TB Wester Digital WD10EURS

Not working:
200GB Maxtor 6L200S0
200GB Maxtor 6B200M0
Message 26 of 90
omichaels
Aspirant

Using two Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2TB drives with no problems. (not listed above.)
Message 27 of 90
eiuep
Novice

Hi,
I just bought MS2000 and I am selecting the drives.
I would have 2 x 2Tb drives working in RAID1.

I found ST2000DL003 inexpensive but it is not officially supported.
Anyone have tested this disk in raid 1?

I know WD20EARX is fully supported but I found it more expensive.

cheers
Message 28 of 90
rsinj
Guide

The Seagate drive is on our list - see post #15.
Message 29 of 90
eiuep
Novice

Thanks for your reply.
I have read the post before writing.
Since you were asking to report for any driver not listed I was not sure if the drive was really tested in raid 1.
Please are you able to confirm that it is fully supported so I will be more confident to buy it?

cheers
Message 30 of 90
omichaels
Aspirant

RAID 1 is the out of the box (OOTB) config so my assumption for drives referenced in this thread is that they have been tested and passed this config, or other configs specifically mentioned (RAID 0 or JBOD) .
Message 31 of 90
lewaros
Novice

Hello.

I have the Wester digital 750GB WD7500AADS, saw that 500GB version is working good.

My version isn't working, when stora is up, shine amber diode.

Is there any chance that when there are some partition on this HDD are made, the stora wont let it working?

Best regards.
Message 32 of 90
lewaros
Novice

Hello.

I have 750GB Wester Digital HDD - WD7500AADS saw that 500GB is working on stora.

I got problem because in my stora when got this 750GB the stora shine an amber diode on this HDD.

Does the partition inside this HDD can make those problems with stora?

Best regards.
Message 33 of 90
rsinj
Guide

See reply to your PM.
Message 34 of 90
MatsG
Aspirant

Hello

I have a WD 500GB harddrive, modell WD500AVVS that doesn't work.
Anybody tried this modell and got it to work?

It worked fine when I had in my computer.

Any ideas on what I can try to get it to work or is it impossible?

Thanks

/Mats
Message 35 of 90
rsinj
Guide

MatsG wrote:
Hello

I have a WD 500GB harddrive, modell WD500AVVS that doesn't work.
Anybody tried this modell and got it to work?

It worked fine when I had in my computer.

Any ideas on what I can try to get it to work or is it impossible?

Thanks

/Mats

Hook the drive back up to the computer, go in to disk manager and remove all the partitions on the drive, then put back in the Stora and try again.
Message 36 of 90
MatsG
Aspirant

rsinj wrote:
Hook the drive back up to the computer, go in to disk manager and remove all the partitions on the drive, then put back in the Stora and try again.

Tried that,and do not get it to work.

This is what I have tested:
Removed the old partition (disc unallocated) => Not Ok
Created a basic disc (Unallocated) => Not Ok
Created a logical partition and formatted the disc => Not Ok

Other suggestions?

Thanks

/Mats
Message 37 of 90
rsinj
Guide

You don't want any Windows partitions/filesystems on it - Stora likes to see it clean.

Though that specific drive is not on our list, other WD500 drives are on the list, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Is your Stora up to date with the most recent firmware?

Do you have another drive available that the Stora does work with? If so, the only other thng I'd say to attempt, is to boot up with your other drive, while it is up and running, in the web interface under Disk Management, do an eject and remove it (if it lets you), while it is still up and running, then insert the 500GB drive and hopefully you'd get the popup detecting the new drive and it will guide you through the config and formatting.

No other ideas at this time.
Message 38 of 90
MatsG
Aspirant

rsinj wrote:
You don't want any Windows partitions/filesystems on it - Stora likes to see it clean.

Though that specific drive is not on our list, other WD500 drives are on the list, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Is your Stora up to date with the most recent firmware?

Do you have another drive available that the Stora does work with? If so, the only other thng I'd say to attempt, is to boot up with your other drive, while it is up and running, in the web interface under Disk Management, do an eject and remove it (if it lets you), while it is still up and running, then insert the 500GB drive and hopefully you'd get the popup detecting the new drive and it will guide you through the config and formatting.

No other ideas at this time.

🙂

Finally I got it to work, maybe I did something wrong yesterday, I didn't access the admin-site for the Stora because I thought that there was something serioulsy wrong since the lamp for the hd was red all the time. At least the lamp is green now.

No I don't have the latest software because I'm not able ti install it, "Software update failed" after applying it.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

/Mats
Message 39 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

WD RED? Was: Stora drive compatibility list

Does anyone know if the new WD Red range is compatible with the Stora? I was just about to pull the trigger on a 2TB Green but the Red is the same price and would seem to be the more sensible choice.

The Stora isn't listed on WD's compatibility list of tested NAS devices for the Red range.
Message 40 of 90
rsinj
Guide

You can be our guinea pig...post a reply with your experience if you do try.
Message 41 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

Err, how about no? I'm not spending the money if I don't know it's a supported configuration.
Message 42 of 90
rsinj
Guide

I was being sarcastic.

We're talking about a 99% probability that it will be fine.

I will go back to the words off of the retail box when I purchased mine "any SATA drive from any manufacturer".

Earlier last year, when drives were cheap, I was purchasing lots of 1TB models from a variety of manufacturers. Every time I picked up a new one, I'd throw it in to the Stora upon arrival and every last one of them worked fine.

I think there's only been one drive posted here that didn't work - one of the WD FAEX models I think and it may have been because WD did something strange with it. Then again, it was only one person who tried, so it could have possibly been something they did wrong.

As time goes on, and newer drives come out and older ones are discontinued, you are going to find yourself in a situation where all drives that are currently available are not going to be on the compatibility list.

Lastly, you could always purchase the drive from a seller with liberal no cost/no hassle return policies, like Amazon, and if it doesn't work return it/them.

If you do ultimately purchase one of the WD green drives, look up my post regarding the head parking and what you should do with the drive before using it in any NAS.
Message 43 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

Ok, sorry about that, 5+ days without a reply I was getting a little bored with waiting.

You're right, it'll probably be fine, it would be nice to get some official confirmation though, I don't suppose there's much likelihood of that though just yet.

I suppose it would be sensible to check what sort of drive I've got in there now, it would make sense for them to be reasonably well matched I guess.
Message 44 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

rsinj wrote:
If you do ultimately purchase one of the WD green drives, look up my post regarding the head parking and what you should do with the drive before using it in any NAS.

Not sure I found your post but are you referring to the WDIDLE tool? I might struggle with that, I don't have a desktop PC I can mount the drive in!
Message 45 of 90
ossienet
Aspirant

The_LHC wrote:
Not sure I found your post but are you referring to the WDIDLE tool? I might struggle with that, I don't have a desktop PC I can mount the drive in!

I think it's called "wdantiparkd" ?
Message 46 of 90
rsinj
Guide

The_LHC wrote:

Yes, wdidle is what I was referring to.

Yeah - it does need a PC though.

Post back with whatever you do go with.
Message 47 of 90
TownCrier
Aspirant

rsinj wrote:
Periodic update.

If you are using a drive of 500GB or more not shown below, please post and I will add to next update.

2TB
WD20EADS
WD20EARS

Just to confirm that the Stora 2110 works fine with WD20EARS drives. 🙂
WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Message 48 of 90
Aztec01
Aspirant

I am also looking at the new WD Red range of Nas Hard drives, If I decided to buy and try, I'll let you know if it works 😃
Message 49 of 90
welshie
Aspirant

Im Using 2TB Single Drive At The Moment

1xWD20EARS, im looking to expand, and unable to find same drive at a reasonable price, will there be any compatibility issues if I add a WD20EADS drive?
Message 50 of 90
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7