× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz network not connecting at boot NETGEAR AXE3000 A8000

Veezora
Aspirant

5ghz network not connecting at boot NETGEAR AXE3000 A8000

I am using a router with both a 2.4 GHz and 5GHz connection. Since purchasing and using the NETGEAR AXE3000 (A8000) series adaptor, I have noticed that on some system startups, the Netgear adaptor will not be able to locate and connect automatically to the 5GHz network. When I open my available networks, the 2.4 GHz network is always available, but the 5GHz is not in the list of possible connections. I am able to toggle my Wifi connection on and off, and eventually pick up the 5GHz network, and after that there is no problem or dropped connection. The router is in an adjacent room, and the signal for both bands is strong.

So far I am strapped for ideas, as searches for this particular issue have come up empty. I have tried setting the adapter's preferred band to 5GHz, and made sure that the latest driver is installed through the Devices panel.

System: Windows 10 v10.0.19045
Netgear Driver Version: 1.0.0.108

Message 1 of 4

Re: 5ghz network not connecting at boot NETGEAR AXE3000 A8000

@Veezora wrote:

I have noticed that on some system startups, the Netgear adaptor will not be able to locate and connect automatically to the 5GHz network.

Might help to rule out Windows as the culprit.

Can other wifi clients see the 5 GHz network?

Message 2 of 4
Veezora
Aspirant

Phones and laptop are able to see and connect to both the 5G and 2G bands, though I've not noticed any difficulties connecting on either.

I've made sure that in the device properties, windows isn't able to power down the device. Only other thing I can think to try is a reinstall of the device drivers.

Message 3 of 4

@Veezora wrote:

Phones and laptop are able to see and connect to both the 5G and 2G bands, though I've not noticed any difficulties connecting on either.

Sort of points to Windows and/or the USB adapter.

I've made sure that in the device properties, windows isn't able to power down the device. Only other thing I can think to try is a reinstall of the device drivers.

Good move on the power front.

If you remove the drivers, it might help to look for "Hidden" devices. Whenever you insert a USB device, Windows looks for drivers and has a habit of building up a pile of them. It leaves behind any that you aren't using.

Wifi adaptersWifi adapters

You could try deleting the hidden ones.

You could also try using the adapter without installing any Netgear drivers. Windows may come with its own compatible drivers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7