× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6200 Disconnecting on Windows 10

FlatoutDude
Tutor

A6200 Disconnecting on Windows 10

Im having an issue with the A6200 Wifi Adapter on windows 10, it will work for an intermittent amount of time (usually 5-10min) then completely disconnect, only showing my network when i click on the wireless icon, but when i unplug it and plug it back into the USB port it works for another 5-10 minutes then it disconnects again, i also have the latest firmware for it, and the minimum power consumption is disabled in device manager, is there any way i can fix it? im getting pissed off of having to constantly unplug and plug in the usb adapter every 5-10 or so minutes.

Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
rawnet
Initiate

Re: A6200 Disconnecting on Windows 10

Anyone having trouble with Netgear Wireless AC6200 dropping out intermittently after upgrading to Windows 10, here is a possible solution:

1. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Change Plan Settings\Change Advanced Power Settings;

2. Expand Wireless Adaptor Settings\Power Saving Mode and make sure it is set to "Maximum Performance";

3. Expand USB Settings\USB Selective Suspend Settings and change Setting to "Disabled".

This worked for me and YMMV, but I hope this helps avoid the weeks of frustration I've just gone through..

View solution in original post

Message 48 of 51

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi @FlatoutDude,

Please follow the steps below and provide feedback if it resolves.

1. With the A6200 plugged in, uninstall the old NETGEAR software and drivers. To do this, open Control Panel.
  2. Click on “Uninstall a program”. 
  3. Click on “NETGEAR A6200 Genie” and click Uninstall
  4. Once uninstall has completed, unplug your A6200 adapter and restart your PC.
  5. If you are using USB 3.0, you will need to upgrade the USB host controller. 
  • To determine if you are using USB 3.0, see Microsoft’s support article USB 3.0 Devices.
  • For information on how to update the USB host controller driver, visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website.

For more information on updating drivers in Windows 10, see Microsoft’s support article: How to Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

1. Ensure that you have installed all of the necessary updates for Windows 10 before proceeding. For more information on installing Windows updates, see Microsoft’s support article Service Pack and Update Center.
  2. Download and extract the A6200 softwareto a convenient place such as your desktop.
  3. Choice one of listed execution file and run. 
  • standalone-V1.0.011-win8.1_win10_signed.exe (with NETGEAR Genie )
  • setup-V1.0.0.26-win8.1_win10_signed.exe (Driver Only)
  1. Follow the on-screen installation instructions (insert the adapter when prompted)
  2. When the installation has completed, restart your PC.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 51
alejobar
Aspirant

hey flatoutdude, following those directions you were able to solve the problem? because I'm still stuck with the same problem

Message 3 of 51
aim54x
Aspirant

I'm having the same problems
Message 4 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

Same issue

Message 5 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

I got told it is because of win 10 and that the latest software is not up to date, but I do not know when they are planning on fixing this issues

Message 6 of 51
EricPNub1
Aspirant

Hi, i'm wondering if this has worked for anyboy, I have been having these issues for a while now.

Message 7 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

It did not work in my case
Message 8 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

I would like to verify is disconnection happens on 2.4GHz or 5Ghz or is it on both bands.

Message 9 of 51
FlatoutDude
Tutor

It does the same thing on both bands, but i have upgraded to the AC1200 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter and the issues have ceased and have not appeared since

Message 10 of 51
Rjasper49
Initiate

I'm connected, at this moment, via the Netgear A6200. I can verify that this disconnect is STILL happening despite correctly installing the Windows 10 driver for the A6200. Are you guys attempting to fix this problem at all? This is a software issue!

Message 11 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

But there should be a method to fix this problem without investing money in a new one. I am still not able to use mine

Message 12 of 51
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please try to install the driver while antivirus or firewall are off. Turn on once the driver has been successfully installed.

Message 13 of 51
aim54x
Aspirant

Since I am in the mood for a play I will have a go with the AV/Firewall off and see how it goes

Message 14 of 51
aim54x
Aspirant

Just an update...installing the standalone (V1.0.0.11 which was in thee V1.0.0.26-1 package) with the AV/Firewall disabled did not help, I had a cut out just then and will be uninstalling this again.

Message 15 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

Norhing is working in my case
Message 16 of 51
jmlow54
Guide

Everything listed in this thread has been attempted by me. Without success.

I've also attempted another suggestion to un-check the "Allow Windows to power off" option, w/o success.

Apparently, NetGear can't figure out the cause either for the A6200.

All drivers/OS Updates are current.

Sad that something is important is taking a back-seat to what ever else is going on within NetGear development (The issue has been going on for months now - as evident from other posts.)

Message 17 of 51
Dan5477
Initiate

Have the A6200, was working fantastic under Win 7.  Upgraded to Win 10 pro and get constant disconnects.  Tried everything listed in this forum.  still get disconnects. I am running an ASUS Crosshair V formula-z mobo.  all drivers on board are updated to win 10 from the ASUS site.  still get disconnects.  tried USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 just to see if there was a difference and there was not.  NETGEAR are you going to fix this issue or what? all these people paid for your product and you can't seem to write a decent driver for Windows 10. if anyone fiigures this out, I would greatly appreciate it if you post up your solution.

Message 18 of 51
rvrby
Tutor

I have the same random disconnect problem, please help.

Using A6200-beta-V1.0.0.35 with win10 Pro 64 bit

Message 19 of 51
Dan5477
Initiate

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem as the rest of us.  I had previously contacted Netgear about fixing the issue and they said my 4 month old adapter was no longer qualified for direct support..ha ha ha.  Clearly their driver does not work properly with Windows 10 and clearly they have no interest in making it work.  I bought the Asus PCE-AC68 last week.  I am connected at 1.0gps and I get the fastest download speeds I have ever gotten over wifi (I have a 150/150 connection) I also haven't dropped conenction since I installed it!!!  so my netgear A6200 is sitting in a box on the shelf and I will never buy a Netgear product again.  best of luck to you, but I highly advise you to move on to a different adapter.

Message 20 of 51
jmlow54
Guide

You know, that's the best advise I've heard so far.

Obviously, nothing is really happening through this channel as to corrective actions. Just a lot of try this-try that-do this-do that. It is tiresome, and time consuming.

The obective is to ramp up the drivers for those devices which are in (or have been) in the market for some time.

This can only speak to the bottom line. NetGear has obviously had a major shift in strategy. Where it will land is anyone's guess. It certainly isn't in the device market.

Routers and NAS seem to be the strategic focus, just nothing that'll connect (consistently) with them. I was looking at one of their high-end NAS boxes (6 bay/dual connection/high capacity) and because they can't seem to care for the devices they sell, why should I bother with their high end stuff? Already placed an order for an alternate device that'll house and host my needed data storage for my purposes.

It is jus a strategic shift for me too. When my router goes (R7000), so does my connection with NetGear. It'll be another device that will fall by the wayside as did the devices I'd like to connect to it.

Bottom line, if they can't take care of the little stuff, it also means that the big stuff suffers and is unlikely to work as expected.

Sad because I've been a NetGear user for more than 10 years. Such is the way of things now a days. 😞

Message 21 of 51
jmlow54
Guide

Oh, yea - one thing I didn't mention.

I'm already looking for a high-end replacement to my R7000. I'm focused at the moment on the ASUS RT-AC5300. Need the throughput (now) and the distance (now) and the penetration (now).

Because of this one little thing (A6200), like the other person posting his move away from NetGear, this long time user of NetGear is going to keep to his word.

This really is a sad day as a once great company begins its decline into obscurity.

Message 22 of 51
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Please try to install the driver while antivirus or firewall are off. Turn on once the driver has been successfully installed.

Hey guy from Netgear - instead of giving everyone trivial troubleshooting steps, how about you actually release a driver that works in Windows 10?

I have reformatted fresh Windows 10, installed the driver and then BAM, disconnects all over the place. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of half-arsed support you are offering. These are paying customers that are without a working product.

This has been going on (from what I can see) for months and months without any sort of solution or even mention that Netgear is working to address the issues.

On another note, does anyone have an address I can send this defective hardware back and bill Netgear for all the time and effort we have put in to trying to get these cards to actually work under Windows 10?

Message 23 of 51
FlatoutDude
Tutor

i agree aswell, i even had to upgrade to the AC1200 Wireless-AC High-Gain Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter, And the problems have ceased, this one has a software update for windows 10 but the A6200 still does not have an update for windows 10

Message 24 of 51
Jendrik
Guide

You wont get you money back, I tried that. They want you to buy a new adapter, which in my case would cost even more and I was supposed to either pay the delivery or drive to there store and pick it up myself. I am recommending everyone to stay away from Netgear, I have never experienced a worse customer service than this one right here. 

I got lucky and could return my adapter to local store I bought it, they were very friendly and offered me even a new one from another company. 

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7