× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 Random Ping Spikes

Doc_
Aspirant

A6210 Random Ping Spikes

I purchased an A6210 USB Wifi Adapter close to a year ago, and for the last month or 2 have been getting random ping spikes. It never did this then suddenly it started spiking up anywhere from 100 to a couple thousand with an average of 10ms-20ms at all times. I have tried like everything possible to fix it. Ive tried different drivers such as mediatek, changing a bunch of different advanced settings such as changing USB speed from 2.0 to 3.0 and vice versa, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the netgear genie. I also want to mention that it cannot be my internet. Ive had no problems on my laptop or xbox. Ive seen alot of people with the same problem, but none seemed to be resolved. Im stuck and looking for any help possible.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: A6210 Random Ping Spikes

Different from a network cable dedicated to the connection for this single PC, WiFi is a shared media, the protocols have to deal with multiple stations which can't see each other, with other usage of the narrow public 5 GHz (or the 2.4 GHz band) in the house or the neighborhood,  ...

As soon as there is load on a WiFi, much bigger variations than the <1ms (some 0.25...0.7 ms typically) you can reach on a Gigabit Ethernet will happen.

WiFi is for commodity and mobility. As such, it can never replace the quality and bandwidth of a physical network link (copper, fiber).

What you see is perfectly normal.

Message 2 of 5
Doc_
Aspirant

Like ive stated before, ive had this adapter for almost a year and it never had this problem. I highly doubt this is "perfectly normal." I understand that Wifi is nothing close to having a cable network, but the adapter is like 30 feet away from the router. I also know that the only things connected to my wifi is my PC and at most 3 IPhones. Also i recently tried pinging my internet through my laptop and did not experince the same ping spikes. The problem is 100% the adapter.

Message 3 of 5
Doc_
Aspirant

Your staff sucks just as much as your product. Wouldnt purchase this again if it was the last one on earth. Guy really said that the ping spikes that range from 200-3000 are "normal." Idiot.

Message 4 of 5

@Doc_ wrote:

Your staff sucks just as much as your product.

Where did you talk to any Netgear staff?

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

If you do talk to someone through that route, remember that insulting anyone who tries to help you is bad manners and counterproductive. Throwing around insults is for children rather than grown ups who expect to be treated with respect.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7