× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 operating @ High Speed (USB 2.0)

omnescient
Aspirant

A6210 operating @ High Speed (USB 2.0)

I've installed A6210 using the standalone Windows 7 driver, and on every boot I receive the W7 message informing me that the device will perform faster when using a SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) port.

It is attached to a USB 3.0 port, but on running USBTreeView, I found it to be registered under one of the EHCI hubs and running at USB 2.0 speed.

I have two other USB 3.0 capable devices, a flash drive and a drive dock, both of which, when attached, are registered to the USB 3.0 hub and run at SuperSpeed (&, naturally, no W7 message telling me they can perform better etc.)

I've tried all three devices in all USB 3.0 ports, both front panel and rear m/b ports, and the A6210 is the only device not running at SuperSpeed.

o/s: Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 auto-updated
m/b: GA-Z87-HD3 (Gigabyte)
bios: AMI F6 (last to address USB issues)
usb: Intel XHCI & Root Hub

On another PC, with an Asus board & NEC/Renesas drivers, the A6210 runs @ SuperSpeed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions
PeterOxie
Initiate

Hi JamesGL,

I guess this will not help ltj, he most likely doesn't have a problem with A6210 and Windows 10.

His problem - and that of many other customers including me - more likely is the following:

The A6210 works. But only at USB 2.0 speed. Even at USB 3.0 ports.

I will repeat this, just to make the problem clear, once and forever Smiley Wink

When using the Netgear driver and plugging the A6210 into USB 3.0 ports

... the A6210 does not connect and work at USB 3.0 SuperSpeed

... it only connects and works at USB 2.0 High-Speed 

We purchased an USB 3.0 device. It is advertised as "faster access with USB 3.0". We install the driver. We plug this piece of hardware into an USB 3.0 port. It only works as an USB 2.0 device. The free Tool "USB Device Tree Viewer" confirms this. USB 2.0 speed only. The achieved transfer rates are way too low. As an USB 3.0 device, the A6210 should do much better.

That's the topic of this thread: USB 2.0 speed at USB 3.0 ports.

Luckily, this seems not to be a fundamental hardware problem, but a software / driver problem.

Solution: (that at least worked for me)

• install the standalone version of the Netgear A6210 driver
  • stop and disable the Windows service "NetgearSwitchUSB", which is installed and started by the installer
  • unplug the A6210
  • wait a moment
  • reconnect the A6210 to the same USB port.

The A6210 should now be recognized correctly as an USB 3.0 device and will work at SuperSpeed. Hurray!

The service "NetgearSwitchUSB" somehow switches the A6210 via software from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0. If the service is active and you look at the "USB Device Tree Viewer" while plugging the A6210 in, you can see the A6210 shortly and correctly as an USB 3.0 device. But after a second, it disappears and comes back as an USB 2.0 device. Disabling the service prevents this.

How to disable the service (Windows 7):

• Open the Control Panel, click on "System and Security", then "Administrative Tools", then "Services".
  • In the list, locate "NetgearSwitchUSB", right click on it, select "Properties"
  • Click on the "Stop" button and wait a few seconds
  • Click on the drop down menu next to "Startup type" and select "Disabled"
  • Click on the "Apply" button
  • Click "OK"
  • done

I use the A6210 for many month now at USB 3.0 speed without that service active, so it seems not to be mandantory for proper functionality.

Hope that helps.

Bye,

a guy from Germany.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 43

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try re-installing the USB 3 ports, check for newer driver.
Message 2 of 43
omnescient
Aspirant

@searay

Thanks for your advice. When you suggest reinstalling the USB 3.0 ports, do you mean that I should uninstall the USB 3.0 Root Hub and/or the xHCI controller via Device Manager, and then allow Windows to re-install on restarting?

I have updated the Intel USB drivers for the host controller and hub.

I don't understand why other devices should be operating at SuperSpeed, but not the A6210. Perhaps it's an incompatibility between the NetgearSwitchUSB service and the Intel xHCI controller?
Message 3 of 43
mucci
Aspirant

omnescient wrote:
@searay

Thanks for your advice. When you suggest reinstalling the USB 3.0 ports, do you mean that I should uninstall the USB 3.0 Root Hub and/or the xHCI controller via Device Manager, and then allow Windows to re-install on restarting?

I have updated the Intel USB drivers for the host controller and hub.

I don't understand why other devices should be operating at SuperSpeed, but not the A6210. Perhaps it's an incompatibility between the NetgearSwitchUSB service and the Intel xHCI controller?

I have the same problem, the drivers is up to date, but not Works, only in USB 2.0. Why?
Message 4 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you tried both installation options, drivers only and using genie program and still have same problem contact support. It may be that the USB 3 drivers haven't finished loading before the A6210 attempts to connect. If you connect to usb3 port after PC is booted up do you see the error? Try setting the a6210 startup to automatic delayed start.
Message 5 of 43
AP10
Novice

Did anyone ever find a solution for this problem? I just recently bought one of these an I'm starting to regret it..

USB 3.0 drivers are all up to date, every other USB 3.0 device I plug into the same port does not give the Windows 7 error.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Toshiba VG10ST mobo
Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub / Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Message 6 of 43
AP10
Novice

Sorry to bump this again, but I've found a solution in case anyone is still having issues.

According to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_A6210 the A6210 uses MediaTek's MT7612U drivers, and the chipset vendor and specifications match.

I installed the MT7612U generic drivers from http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/usb/ (shows up as '802.11ac Wireless LAN Card' in device manager.) After installing these drivers, USBTreeView now shows the A6210 operating at USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.
Message 7 of 43
SNYPER_
Novice

Any solutions to this?I have the same problem and became so frusterated i reformated and installed all fresh newest drivers ect and same stupid msg.My usb 3.0 ports are fine i plug in my usb hdd and other usb 3 hardware and they run at SS but not this dumb adapter.
Message 8 of 43
SNYPER_
Novice

bump above post^
Message 9 of 43
billcrowley
Guide

SNYPER_ wrote:
bump above post^

I tried using the media tek drivers but couldn't get them to work...I have the A6200 but did try to use both the mediatek drivers for the 6200 and 6210. my 6200 worked fine on win7 on the USB 3.0 but don't work well at all with 8.1.

I did find this info though...go into device manager and under the universal serial bus controllers you will see the TI extensible host controller for USB3.0. This is the one that is failing. Sometimes I can disable it and renable and the adapter working again. Apparently this is a known problem (see link below) and as best I can tell the computer mfg needs to provide updated drivers for the USB3.0. I don't know if that is true or not but I have not been able to find new drivers for my Dell so I can't test it out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/texas-intruments-usb-30-extensi...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/chronic-usb-30-port-problems/98...
Message 10 of 43
SNYPER_
Novice

thanks for the reply.At first i thought it was my pc/drivers but any usb 3 device i plug in works as usb 3.I fresh formated,tried diff bios diff drivers ect with no luck.When i have usbtreeview on i can see when i plug in the adapter it starts as usb 3.0 SS and quickly changes to Hi speed and gives me the your device can perform faster message.For that split second of plugging it in its SS and something is causing it to change. BTW i never stated but im running win 7 ult 64 bit.$70 for this adapter not not function correctly is really getting to me.
Message 11 of 43
SNYPER_
Novice

and also i don't have the host controller you refer to, i have two (2) Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller's and two (2) Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller's.
Message 12 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

I'm having the same issue on 2 separate computers with fresh installs and up to date drivers. Both are Intel motherboards. One is a Z68 chipset and the other is a Z77 chipset. Both are running Win7 64 bit. The wireless adapter refuses to connect at USB 3.0. Has to be a driver issue on Netgears end. I've opened a support ticket hoping that they may have a workaround or a beta driver available. I'll provide updates if I get a response back.
Message 13 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

Did some more testing today with the A6210. When using my vpn service with Vuze torrent client, when I set the client to bind to the tunnel adapter, I am unable to use my forwarded port. Vuze client errors and states that the port is already being used. My Linksys WUSB6300 does not have these issues. The Linksys WUSB6300 operates at USB 3.0 spec and binds with vpn and Vuze torrent client correctly. There is something very wrong with the current firmware for the A6210. I hope they get this resolved soon. I'm still waiting for a reply from support.
Message 14 of 43
billcrowley
Guide

SNYPER_ wrote:
and also i don't have the host controller you refer to, i have two (2) Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller's and two (2) Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller's.

When you look in device manager, figure out which of the USB host controllers is messing up...the one your adapter is plugged into. Then google that controller for problems to see if the controller mfg or the computer mfg have a new driver....you may have to manually install the driver (if one is available - one was not available for me) .

My USB3.0 ports work just fine with everything else except this adapter. Luckily, I have a 2.0 port and am using using that. I get 250+ speeds with my 2.0 port.
Message 15 of 43
billcrowley
Guide

dug_less wrote:
I'm having the same issue on 2 separate computers with fresh installs and up to date drivers. Both are Intel motherboards. One is a Z68 chipset and the other is a Z77 chipset. Both are running Win7 64 bit. The wireless adapter refuses to connect at USB 3.0. Has to be a driver issue on Netgears end. I've opened a support ticket hoping that they may have a workaround or a beta driver available. I'll provide updates if I get a response back.

I did the email support thing as I was past the phone support window....completely usesless and a pain. I agree, their drivers have issues but it also seems that it might be the host controller drivers for the usb from the mfgs.
Message 16 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

billcrowley wrote:
I did the email support thing as I was past the phone support window....completely usesless and a pain. I agree, their drivers have issues but it also seems that it might be the host controller drivers for the usb from the mfgs.

I would agree with you except for the fact that non of my other usb 3.0 devices display this behavior. Including my Linksys WUSB6300 wifi adapter.
Message 17 of 43
billcrowley
Guide

dug_less wrote:
I would agree with you except for the fact that non of my other usb 3.0 devices display this behavior. Including my Linksys WUSB6300 wifi adapter.

I gave up and decided to plug the adapter into a USB 2.0 port....works fine now. not a single problem in many days. I was surprised but I am still getting 250mbps through the 2.0 port.
Message 18 of 43
xDredgex
Novice

Agreed. Same boat.
I initiated Support and was given the runaround and suggestions towards resolution that weren't even in the ballpark, up to and including (and I quote) "adjust the settings in the router GUI to the highest".
I kindly declined the offer stating my USB ports have nothing to do with the router as my support request was not based on my router but on the adapter and that all of my other USB 3.0 devices (bus-powered and AC adapter-driven) operate fine, this 6210 doesn't. I went so far as to do a complete wipe and clean install of 7, drivers, Windows Updates, the results were the same. 3 other PCs to include an 8.1 unit, the 6210 continues to not handshake with 3.0 ports.
Message 19 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

xDredgex wrote:
Agreed. Same boat.
I initiated Support and was given the runaround and suggestions towards resolution that weren't even in the ballpark, up to and including (and I quote) "adjust the settings in the router GUI to the highest".
I kindly declined the offer stating my USB ports have nothing to do with the router as my support request was not based on my router but on the adapter and that all of my other USB 3.0 devices (bus-powered and AC adapter-driven) operate fine, this 6210 doesn't. I went so far as to do a complete wipe and clean install of 7, drivers, Windows Updates, the results were the same. 3 other PCs to include an 8.1 unit, the 6210 continues to not handshake with 3.0 ports.

Yeah, Netgear tech support is worthless. I just keep checking for a new driver package. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. I really like the device. Has great range. Just want full USB 3.0 speed.
Message 20 of 43
xDredgex
Novice

*Update*
After back and forth case updates with NETGEAR (they offer solutions, I test them, report back the results, they offer more), they narrowed down a more specific reason for adjusting settings in the router. I mildly feel like an ***, then again, I don't.
It turns out that their suggestion to "adjust the mode in the GUI to the highest" was their way of saying to set the 5GHz a/n/ac band to full, not doing so causes the WiFi adapter to (somehow) operate in 2.0 mode. After sending them a screenshot of my R6300v2's internals (it was safe for work, I promise) I had stressed that it was on full since day one. It took them less than 3 minutes from my posting that response to my ongoing/open case to reply back "we're going to replace your A6210, stand by for RMA instructions". I laughed a little.

To potentially assist those experiencing the same problem:
Log in to your router > Advanced tab > Setup > Wireless Setup > Ensure that Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac) Mode (the dropdown) is at its fullest.
Send a screenshot (after you open a Support Case, of course), blank out your WiFi passwords (both the 2.4 and 5 password fields), attach it, send it, and fight for an RMA.
Message 21 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

I'm sure they will RMA the product, but a new device will produce the same results. What is needed here is a proper firmware and or driver package for the device. Like I stated before, a quick remote session with engineering would be the best course of action. Then they can confirm for themselves the issue everyone is having. I work for a midsized document solutions company that handles tech support better than this. 30% of our service calls are handled remotely and resolved. I find it very frustrating that with todays technology, a company as big as Netgear is unable to provide quick and reasonable support and solutions.
Message 22 of 43
dug_less
Tutor

One thing I am curious about. All my computers are Intel based computers. Is this issue only related to Intel chipset/motherboards? Can anyone confirm that this is also happening with AMD chipset/motherboards?
Message 23 of 43
xDredgex
Novice

omnescient wrote:
On another PC, with an Asus board & NEC/Renesas drivers, the A6210 runs @ SuperSpeed.

I'm wondering....is that other PC running Windows 8 or 8.1?
Message 24 of 43
JustRight
Aspirant

I have just purchased the A6210 for use on Windows 8.1 and eventually Windows 10.

I am using a new X99 chipset based system from ASRock and was amazed that the A6210 would not run at USB 3.0 speed in any of the USB 3.0 ports on the system!!!  I was using the most recent genuine NetGear drivers, supposedly suitable for Windows 10 as well.  Additionally the ASRock motherboard does not use any third party USB chipsets or hubs, they are all supported directly by the X99 chipset.  So I was doubly surprised that the A6210 would not function at it's rather speed.

Anyway I found this thread and have used the newest MediaTek drivers as suggested above, and lo and behold the A6120 now operates at Super Speed USB3.0.

What gives NetGear ??????

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7