× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC6210 802.11 ac cannot connect to my 5ghz network

JYuhas
Novice

AC6210 802.11 ac cannot connect to my 5ghz network

Tech Support,

I was redirected to here by a Verizon forum help agent after he could not resolve my issue with router connection issues.

I bought the AC6210 802.11n/ac router for my computer so I can make use of my new Verizon FiOS modem/router Quantum Gateway G1100 which supports 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

The 2.4ghz band is for 802.11 b/g/n devices
The 5.0ghz band is for 802.11 b/ac devices

However, whenever I try to connect to the 5ghz band using my AC6210 router it says I cannot connect. The 2.4ghz works fine.

My original post is below with more information. I have administrative access to both my gateway and my current computer I am on, Networking class in my background - I've tried EVERYTHING.

-------- Original Post -------------
link: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/NETGEAR-Model-A6210-802-11ac-NOT-CONNECTING-to-Quantum-Ga...
------------------------------------------

Text:

Hello All,

Today I went out and bought a Netgear A6210, 802.11ac USB 3.0 Dual Band Router for my computer on which I browse, play high-end video games and stream HD movies from Netflix/Hulu and Amazon on.

When I try to connect to the 5ghz band on my new Quantum Gateway G1100 Router I got from verizon, which is set to 802.11n and 802.11ac mode - I cannot connect with my Netgear A6210 802.11ac USB router.

However, I can connect to the 2.4ghz band which is set to 802.11b/g/n mode, so I still have internet access on a wireless 802.11n standard - which is not the reason why I bought the 802.11n, I want the 802.11ac connection. I also don't want to share my bandwidth with all the iPhones in the house.

I have already contacted Verizon support, they were unable to resolve the issue.

Weird enough, the Xbox One in the house has the 5Ghz connection. I've seen it inactive and active as my brother was playing earlier on the 5ghz connection.

Things I've done:

- Change Channel Mode in device Manager to 5Ghz only. Still rejected connection, so I stayed on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

- Router Reset (the red button on the back you push when you know what is hitting the fan)

- Disconnecting from the 2.4ghz connection and trying the 5Ghz connection

- WPS (still connects me to 2.4ghz)

- WPS when Channel Mode on the Netgear adapter was set to 5Ghz only (Verizon router failed to find my adapter)

- Different Security Settings

- The Passwords are the same, this is not the issue

- Manually Entering the settings (SSID and WPA2 key)

- Disabling and re-enabling the Netgear device in Device Manager

- Using the Windows Connect to a network screen. (Manually entering credentials)

Message 1 of 5
dug_less
Tutor

Re: AC6210 802.11 ac cannot connect to my 5ghz network

"The 2.4ghz band is for 802.11 b/g/n devices
The 5.0ghz band is for 802.11 b/ac devices"

Try changing 5.0ghz to ac only. Also turn off WPS. Set your security settings to WPA2-PSK [AES].
Message 2 of 5
malrats
Aspirant

Same issue with the A6200.

The solution seems to be changing the region to 0, but I don't have that option. The A6210 allegedly does, or at least does with some special firmware.
Message 3 of 5
NomakeWan
Aspirant

Indeed, OP's problem is fixed easily on the AC6210 by using a driver directly from Mediatek rather than Netgear's drivers. Drivers, not firmware.

However, your 6200 is a Broadcom chipset, and Broadcom does not offer Windows drivers directly.
Message 4 of 5
malrats
Aspirant

NomakeWan wrote:
Indeed, OP's problem is fixed easily on the AC6210 by using a driver directly from Mediatek rather than Netgear's drivers. Drivers, not firmware.

However, your 6200 is a Broadcom chipset, and Broadcom does not offer Windows drivers directly.

Yeah, so it seems that I'm out of luck if I actually want to connect to 5GHz. Which is the only way I actually get ~180mbps download speeds. Otherwise it's like 50-60. I just don't get how this adapter can be out there and be so broken with no fix at all.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7