× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Think they'll ever release Windows 10 drivers? (A6200)

malrats
Aspirant

Think they'll ever release Windows 10 drivers? (A6200)

Thankfully my A6200 is still "functioning" in Windows 10 without any sort of update from Netgear, though I say "functioning" because it still can't connect to 5GHz networks just as it couldn't in Windows 8.1.

Does anyone believe that Netgear will ever release new drivers, or that we're just stuck forever? I've tried buying the more recent A6210 and it just didn't even function at all. Dropped packets, slow speeds, far worse signal than the A6200. If the driver situation could just get addressed it would be the perfect adapter, IMO.

Message 1 of 7
nebbishatudub
Initiate

Re: Think they'll ever release Windows 10 drivers? (A6200)

I was hoping they'd release WX drivers too, but at least yours connects.  My (A6210) just sits there with the WPS LED blinking.  I've been trying to manually connect to my home network now for over 30 minutes.

Message 2 of 7
nebbishatudub
Initiate

GREAT Success!  I was able to solve both of our problems!

• First I downloaded and installed the newest A6210 driver.  I did the STANDALONE install - not the one with the Genie.

However, I was still having issues connecting.  Windows would lag whenever I opened up the WiFi connection screen and no matter how hard I tried to enable the WLAN connection in the network settings it just didn't want to cooperate.

• I opened up the Device Manager in WX (Start Menu -> Settings -> Devices -> Connected Devices tab.  Then click "Device Manager" near the bottom).
  • I scrolled down to the Network Adaptors, selected my WLAN device (Netgear's A6210) and pressed the "Delete" key on my keyboard.
  • Make sure that the "Uninstall driver" checkbox is NOT checked.  After click "Okay" and let it uninstall the device.
  • Restart your computer (it'll prompt you for this)
  • Unplug your Netgear WiFi USB plug.  We don't want it still plugged in while Windows restarts.
  • Once your computer is up and running, plug the Netgear back in, let Windows reconfigure the device

Voila!  Hopefully you can now connect to either your 2.4 or 5GHz connection!

Message 3 of 7
WayneMcPain
Aspirant

Can confirm that the fix above does work! Thanks!!
Message 4 of 7
mdoc7
Tutor

nebbishatudub -

You don't have to do all that.  With the computer on, simply remove the A6200 Netgear adapter from the computer's USB port, wait a couple of seconds and then plug it back in.  Win 10 will auto-configure it.  Works in Win 10.

Message 5 of 7
mdoc7
Tutor

And by the way... when you install Win 10, it doesn't remove the A6200 driver.  This and other drivers remain intact.  Microsoft's Win 10 installation method is similar to in-place "patching."

Message 6 of 7
mdoc7
Tutor

And by the way... I didn't have the problem identified here because I'm not using the 5Ghz frequency.  I'm using 2.4Ghz.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7