× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using WNCE3001 WiFi adapters with public WiFi

davidleetw
Follower

Using WNCE3001 WiFi adapters with public WiFi

I have purchased the WNCE3001 to attempt to get it to support devices that does not have WiFi but has a RJ45 internet jack.  E.g. home monitoring, security, etc.

While I am able to make that work in an office and home environment, I was unable to use it in a "public" WiFi scenario e.g. xfinity WiFi, even if I have an account with Comcast and could securely log in via my laptop WiFi.  Am I doing something wrong or is the product not able to connect via a "public" WiFi like xfinity.

The connection scenario I am thinking off is:

xfinity WiFi <--(via WiFi/802.11) --> WNCE3001 <--(connected CAT5E/RJ45)--> Home Monitoring hub (e.g. Prodea or Iris) <---(via WiFi/802.11/ZWAVE/BTOOTH etc.)---> Various devices (door sensors/cameras/power plugs etc.)

The home/office connection scenario that it works OK are:

xfinity Broadband (Home & Business class) <--(connected CAT5E/RJ45) --> xFinity Cable Modem <--(via WiFi/802.11) --> WNCE3001 <--(connected CAT5E/RJ45)--> Home Monitoring hub (e.g. Prodea or Iris) <---(via WiFi/802.11/ZWAVE/BTOOTH etc.)---> Various devices (door sensors/cameras/power plugs etc.)

Message 1 of 2
JamesGL
Master

Re: Using WNCE3001 WiFi adapters with public WiFi

If the public WiFi requires a login credentials like username and passwor, the adapter will not be able to work with it. It will only work if the connection is just  asking for a network key.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7