× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 (A6100 A6200 A6210) Installation Heads Up

Tatsu_Main
Guide

Spent almost 2 days doing everything I possibly could to get the A6210 adapter to work with Windows 10 Pro, to no avail. I've had to downgrade back to Windows 7. 

I managed to get the list of wireless networks up after uninstalling the Netgear drivers I'd gotten from their website in Device Manager and right-clicking to 'Scan for hardware changes', but it continues to say 'Limited' on the list of wireless networks. To claim that "Firmware/Software Software Version 1.0.0.30 (Supports Win10) File size: 72.6 MB" is Windows 10 compatible when it clearly is not, is pretty bad form.

Message 26 of 278
stevenboh
Aspirant

Hey guys, is anyone having trouble finding the 5ghz network.

I can find and connect to the 2.4ghz network but not the 5ghz.

On my phone the 5ghz network works find though.

Just upgraded to win10

Message 27 of 278
x2mjokada
Initiate

Yes, I did have the problem of not seeing 5GHz networks, as previously posted.

This was fixed by installing the mediatek drivers found in an earlier post.
Message 28 of 278
stevenboh
Aspirant

Yeah that did work,

I also had to change my 5ghz channel to < 48

anything higher than or including channel 149, makes it undetectable by the A6210

Did you have a similar experience ?

Message 29 of 278
dug_less
Tutor

Install this driver from here. MT7612U generic drivers from http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/usb/  . Uninstall all instances of the Netgear driver and reboot. With wifi adapter unplugged, install the Mediatech driver only. Wait until istallation completes and then plug your A6210 wifi adapter into an usb 3.0 port. Problem solved. You will also find that the adapter will now be running @ 3.0 speed. You will also have to change 2.4 and 5.0 region to 0 in adapter properties for USA.

Message 30 of 278
mdoc7
Tutor

OK, I'm using 2.GHz.  If I try to use 5GHz, then it's a problem.

Message 31 of 278
Tatsu_Main
Guide

Ahh I've only being using mine at 5Ghz which may have been the reason why I've been having such trouble. Have already downgraded back to Windows 7, so don't have time to keep upgrading/downgrading. I think I'll only upgrade to 10 once a proper driver has been released. Thanks for the info.

Message 32 of 278
WiFiHeadaches
Aspirant

Hi everyone...we all spent more hours on this issue than we ever should have and one of those hours was with Netgear support that were useless.  All they wanted to do was have me buy extended support rather than having the below workaround since their Win10 drivers 1.0.0.30 are not Win10 compatible (beware of anyone that claims drivers from Feb 2015 will work with Win10 when final version of Win10 was not released until July 2015).  

Anyway please so below which I hope helps someone.

Win10 eventually found drivers that would work even after installing the Netgear standalone and full install software it would not pull in Netgear drivers from late Feb 2015 that Netgear shows as A6210 1.0.0.30.

After uninstalling and reinstalling Netgear drivers many times from Programs I eventually removed the Netgear A6210 hardward & software from the Device Manager then had Win10 find new hardware/software. I finally saw that A6210 device showed as disabled (with down arrow) and had to reboot system to enable it.  After reboot Win10 under Settings/WiFi had me enter my Security Passcode for my WiFi router then Win10 WiFi & Netgear Genie showed A6210 WiFi adapter working with old drivers from 2014. 

See below for details.
Generic drivers that Win10 installed and worked were from 8/6/2014 for A6210 and even after searching online for latest drivers it kept these as the latest.  See below for details.  I'll keep these until Netgear provides truely current and workable A6210 drivers for Win10.
Inline image 1

Message 33 of 278
AJ777
Guide

@paradeigmas wrote:

As a heads up, DO NOT install Netgear's driver package for your A6xxx device on Windows 10.  It permanently removes Windows 10’s ability to access the WiFi Connections list.

Instead, use the default driver that comes with Windows 10, of which will freeze when you try to connect to networks until you complete the installation of Intel’s new Chipset Drivers here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

If that still doesn’t work for you, try the following:

Go to Network List, select the network you are trying to connect to, hit “Connect”, you should see “enter password” box and also a message about using WPS to connect, then instead of entering the password go hit the WPS button on your router.

Your adapter should connect and function completely now.

Thanks paradeigmas. Unfortunately this did not work for my A6200. When I used the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility it said that my system required no updates. Also, after trying all the available drivers for the A6200 the Netgear Genie or the Microsoft WLan service would never initialize my A6200 again (the blue light would never come on). After spending about 16 hours screwing with it I was forced to roll back to a restore point before I installed the Netgear drivers. Amazingly, my A6200 started working again but of course I lost a substantial amount of data/system updates in doing so. It is completely beyond me that Netgear is not able to provide a functional driver for Windows 10 when a simple rollback from their currently released drivers restores functionality in our A6200 adapters. My current config is flaky at best even though the A6200 is working again, which is why I initially tried reinstalling the drivers. I have lost all confidence in Netgear, and I will be searching out a new vendor for all of my future WiFi products. Support you customers/products, Netgear!! 

Message 34 of 278
dug_less
Tutor

Everyone, I can't stress enough the answer is here for the A6210. http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/us​b/  . Uninstall all instances of the netgear driver and remove the wifi adapter. Reboot your pc and install the Mediatek driver only! Once the driver is installed, plug your adapter back in and the go to your adapter properties and change 2.4 and 5.0 region to 0. Reboot your pc and your problems will be resolved. You will also find that the A6210 is now cinnected at usb 3.0 spec.

Message 35 of 278
AJ777
Guide

@x2mjokada wrote:

Hi,

I also had the unfortunate luck of installing the Netgear drivers during my upgrade to Windows 10 and had issues with wifi freezing up the system. Wish I would've seen this thread before upgrading to Win 10.

Anyway, the way I fixed this problem was by rebooting my system into SAFE MODE.  Once in SAFE MODE, I went into the DEVICE MANAGER, looked for the A6210 adapter under NETWORK ADAPTERS, right-clicked on the adapter and uninstalled.  I also checked the box to uninstall the drivers for this adapter.  Once the adapter was uninstalled from the system, I rebooted back into Windows with the adapter still connected.  As soon as I got back into the Windows 10 desktop, I was able to click on the Wireless icon in the system tray with the system would no longer freezing up, and finally showing me a list of available networks to connect to.

The problem I am still having though, is that I can only see the 2.4GHz networks and not my 5GHz network which I was previously using with no problems in Windows 8.1 before the upgrade.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that the WiFi adapter can see and connect to the 5GHz networks without installing the NETGEAR drivers that cause Windows 10 issues?

Thanks

Sorry. I do not have a solution, but I wanted to provide a little more info for you since Netgear seems to have delegated all of their product support/responsibility to their community/forum members. I have an A6200 and upgraded straight from Win 7 to Win 10. I was very disappointed with my Win 10/A6200 performance so I tried reinstalling the A6200 driver (eventually tried all of them). This completely disabled my A6200 to the point that the Netgear Genie or Microsoft WLan service could never initialize it (the blue light would never come on again). I tried everything listed in this thread with no luck. Eventually I had to rollback to a restore point before when I reinstalled the Netgear drivers  The Netgear drivers completely disabled the A6200 and nothing I could do would restore functionality. However, once restored, I do have 5Ghz functionality. The loss of your 5Ghz seems to be something attributed to Netgear's Win 8.1 driver. Other's seem to be having the same problem. I am using Netgear driver version 6.30.145.30, and I do not think I am having to use Win 7 or Win 8.1 compatibility mode. Although, the upgrade to Win 10 disabled/removed the Negear Genie which I had always used in the past with Win 7. In Win 10 the WLan service seems to be the only way we can connect to the A6200. Hope this helps.

Message 36 of 278
DaveyG
Guide

I have an A6210 with an AMD Chipset MBoard. I can see networks and connect, however, the connection constantly cycles between disconnected/connected regularly. This occurs as soon as I attempt to launch anything that uses the ethernet connection.

I tried using the native Windows driver but my machine 'hung' at the login prompt, removing the adaptor allowed me to login.

I then installed the Netgear driver and am now experiencing the problem mentioned above.

I have updated Chipset drivers etc. with no improvement to my problem.

Message 37 of 278
Bonercycle
Tutor

I'm on an AMD system, and the Mediatek drivers DID NOT work for me.  I'm glad they worked for you on your Intel system, but Netgear needs to step up and provide a compatible W

Message 38 of 278
paradeigmas
Tutor

I have accepted the Mediatek's raw driver as the solution to this problem.  Unfortunately for AMD users this will not work properly for you.  You must wait for Netgear to push out the Windows 10 driver.

Message 39 of 278
DaveyG
Guide

Thank you for the replies. Looks as though I'll have to sit and wait for Netgear to update the driver for my 6210. I can connect via an alternative method for the time being.

Message 40 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

My motherboard did end up failing (No big deal). Talk about a double whammy!  I am going to buy another motherboard, will the meditek driver work for all intel based motherboards?

Message 41 of 278
USMCP8TRIOT
Guide

Clicking this link goes to a '404' error message and reroutes to the home page. 

Message 42 of 278
USMCP8TRIOT
Guide

Ok, I find it absolutely mind boggling that we are HOW MANY DAYS past the official release of Win 10 and Still no concrete fix to this issue. I have an AMD chipset and sounds as though the 'work arounds' only work for the Intel chipsets. When is Netgear going to get off their A$$es and provide those of us, who make their paychecks possible, with a complete working package? I have an ethernet (trip hazard) cable run across the floor until this is fixed!!!

I may look at going to a different vendor in the future if this is the level of support we can expect from Netgear

Message 43 of 278
UMDTERPS
Apprentice

I agree, I'm lucky enough to have a Intel based chipset with a work around, but the support has been atrioucious.  I may look elesewhere for networking devices in the future.  Netgear had over a year to work on drivers and failed.

You may want to look at ethernet based adapters, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8/ref=pd_sim_147_2...

Message 44 of 278
Bonercycle
Tutor

Maybe if I just bump this thread enough they'll release an official, working Windows 10 driver.

Message 45 of 278
AJ777
Guide

I am done with this company; their customer service is pathetic. I submitted a ticket for these adapter/driver issues we are having and they were lame enough to tell me that my high end adapter that I paid a premium price for is no longer in warranty. They are completely washing their hands of their responsibility to provide functional drivers. Juliet closed my case a day after I opened it which means that I cannot respond or reopen the case because it is closed. In all my years I have not dealt with a company so lame. So long Netgear and good riddance... I hope all of your remaining customers do the same. You do not deserve to be in business...

Message 46 of 278
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

AJ777 and all others still having issues with Windows 10 drivers, I will pass on your comments to Netgear to point out the strength of feeling being expressed in this thread, I am sure that Netgear will pay attention to your comments.

Message 47 of 278
AJ777
Guide

Thank you, Andy. That would be very much appreciated.

Message 48 of 278
Tatsu_Main
Guide

Yeah I've had enough of this issue. Already spent 2 days as I mentioned earlier; 2 days more than any paying customer should have done trying to resolve such a simple issue on that particular machine (AMD FX9370) I might also add. I'm currently looking at purchasing another brand and will henceforth avoid Netgear from now on unless they resolve this very very soon.

Message 49 of 278
tthomas1947
Aspirant

I have the same problem after installing latest netgear drivers. My workaround is to boot laptop without a6210 plugged in then when native adapter (2.4G) is up plug in the a6210. It loads up and switches to my 5G network ok.
Message 50 of 278
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7