× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting two ‎GS305P to extend network

LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Connecting two ‎GS305P to extend network

Hey all,

I think this is possible, but I want to avoid any diminishing return this may cause as I want to keep my ping low for gaming. I want to extend my network range without getting longer cat cable (This way I can avoid running even more cable all over the walls). 

Can I connect my ‎GS305P to another ‎GS305P and extend the network this way? I searched and it looked like this can be accomplished but I couldn't find anything specific to the ‎GS305P.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Connecting two ‎GS305P to extend network

@LevelUpLiam24,

It should work just fine. You can also use the GS305P to power up the other one. If you run into some issues, please call NETGEAR support so that they can help you immediately with your problem.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connecting two ‎GS305P to extend network

@JohnC_V wrote:

You can also use the GS305P to power up the other one.

Connect: Yes. Power: No - lack of the GS305P and the like don't have a PD port to power the switch.

On modern switches, you always have a switching capacity covering end to end, so each port can reach full wire speed while communicating with other ports. When doing a cascade, one this connecting link does limit the maximum available speed between the two switches ports. When linking up two GS305P, the link (or trunk) is 1 Gb, while you have four GbE ports on each switch available. Say you operate a backup from a port on switch #1 to a NAS on the switch #2, this trunk link could reach the full capacity of the Gigabit cascading link, while connections between the two switches share the limited cascading link. If you compare now with a single eight-port or bigger switch, this limitation does not apply. There is full end-to-end capacity available.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements