× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS338 ProSafe as an unmanaged switch

ghamer3545
Aspirant

FVS338 ProSafe as an unmanaged switch

I have an FVS338 ProSafe VPN Firewall 50 that is no longer in use.  I could use an unmanaged switch in my home network.  Is it possible to use the FVS338 as an unmanaged switch.  If so do I need to do anything other than change the IP address and disable DHCP?  It is currently set to factory defaults.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS338 ProSafe as an unmanaged switch

@ghamer3545,

Just to add, it would be best if you set a static IP Address on your FVS338 that is within the IP Address range of your existing network then proceed with the  disabling the DHCP Server.  This is for you to still gain access on the web-GUI of the FVS388.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ghamer3545,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

You can use the FVS338 as an unmanaged switch.  Be sure to disable the DHCP server. On the web-GUI, go to Network Configuration > LAN Settings > LAN Setup then select Disable DHCP Server and click Apply.  Use only the LAN ports to connect devices. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 5
ghamer3545
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ghamer3545,

Just to add, it would be best if you set a static IP Address on your FVS338 that is within the IP Address range of your existing network then proceed with the  disabling the DHCP Server.  This is for you to still gain access on the web-GUI of the FVS388.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
ghamer3545
Aspirant

It works great.  I had some trouble changing the fixed IP address.  I used 192.168.1.2 but it had already assigned that to the pc I was using. Once I realized that all went well.  thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements